P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/22/23 9:47 p.m.

I see there's a minor win thread, and a minor confession thread, but how about some good old minor losses? I have them in spades right now, but nothing so bad as to change my life over. 

I'm tired of working on cars. I have more available time than I've had for years but my three cars are eating it up. And we don't get much summertime here, it's almost over, yet here I am missing out on time with the family, fighting broken and misfitting car parts over and over again.

:/

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
8/22/23 9:53 p.m.

I think most of the "minor losses" are in "minor rants."

Regardless, I can't work on my project because of the backlog of work needed on the dailies.

ToManyProjects
ToManyProjects Reader
8/22/23 10:12 p.m.
matthewmcl said:

Regardless, I can't work on my project because of the backlog of work needed on the dailies.

This.

And I'm not getting a refund on the AC compressor that died in the first 5 minutes because I was 1 day past their stupid short return period.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/22/23 10:48 p.m.

I own cool cars. 

I don't go anywhere anymore. 

P3PPY
8/22/23 11:08 p.m.
matthewmcl said:

Ahh. I'd forgotten about that thread. 

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/23/23 9:20 a.m.

I thought a minor loss is when you lose an 8mm socket.

slefain
slefain UltimaDork
8/23/23 9:55 a.m.
Noddaz said:

I was thinking one of those weirdo 7.5mm or 5.5mm sockets. Sizes that you will never use, but somehow disappeared and now make your tool set look unkempt.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/23/23 11:03 a.m.
P3PPY said:

I see there's a minor win thread, and a minor confession thread, but how about some good old minor losses? I have them in spades right now, but nothing so bad as to change my life over. 

I'm tired of working on cars. I have more available time than I've had for years but my three cars are eating it up. And we don't get much summertime here, it's almost over, yet here I am missing out on time with the family, fighting broken and misfitting car parts over and over again.

:/

I'm also tired of working on cars and have been for a while. 

Everything done to the BRZ I've paid the pros to do it, even though I was perfectly capable of doing it myself. I just don't enjoy laying on the garage floor all day anymore.

P3PPY
8/23/23 6:20 p.m.

I'm tired of parts not fitting. I bought a $159 Behr radiator for the Z4 and it's like 1/8" too short, meaning the bracket won't fit on it. So I took that back off and put my old rad back in since it's not bad yet. Put new Rein coolant hoses on and one leaks. New DISA valve didn't fit without real massaging. This is getting as bad as buying used. 

I'm not kidding -- I went to Lowe's to return something and my youngest wanted to play on the riding mowers. I just spent a couple hours fixing the deck on our old JD. So I'm in Lowe's playing with the mower deck height adjustments and feeling down about stuff breaking. 

I get that it's a choice of mine -- fix to save $$ and spend the cash on things we'd rather, but sometimes it just wears me down

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/23/23 8:34 p.m.
Noddaz said:

Oddly enough, my 8mm 3/8" deep impact socket apparently walked away at some point, so I had it replaced today.  $9.40.  It was Matco's ADV (cheap) line.

Let's not talk about what it would have been were it a swivel socket.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/23/23 8:37 p.m.

Minor loss.

Like kids being abducted ?

Pete. (l33t FS)
8/23/23 8:44 p.m.
slefain said:
Noddaz said:

I was thinking one of those weirdo 7.5mm or 5.5mm sockets. Sizes that you will never use, but somehow disappeared and now make your tool set look unkempt.

Here is a set of sockets that goes by .2mm.

I had some rusted little fasteners to remove, was lent a socket from this kit.  Ordered the kit without knowing how much it was.

I literally did not know how much this was until just now.  Still worth it.

No Time
No Time UltraDork
8/23/23 9:07 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

A necessity for a professional in the rust belt. 

chandler
chandler MegaDork
8/23/23 10:14 p.m.

Hearing. Not so minor but a loss I've experienced. 

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/24/23 1:49 p.m.

My minor loss was my shed keys.  The good news was that the AirTag I put on them showed me they somehow ended up in the garbage/recycling at the dump. Unfortunately, the notification that they were left somewhere came about 5 min after I had left the dump.  Not sure if there's a better economy in buying like 5 sets of keys vs. putting a $20 AirTag on them to lose the AirTag, as well.

Pete. (l33t FS)
8/24/23 7:57 p.m.

Minor loss.

Watching an episode of Star Trek: TNG (season 7 episode 11) is reminding me that I used to have a voice like Worf.  Then my sinuses and voicebox went to E36 M3.

Interestingly, that is NOT Mr. Dorn's natural voice.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/24/23 8:40 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

My perception of you has now changed forever.

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
9/27/23 1:37 p.m.

This is more of a Major Loss but, I couldn't find a thread for that...

There was a young guy in the apprenticeship program at work who I immediately picked up on had wrestled in the past. There's a particular way wrestlers move that sets off alarms in my head and, of course, me being me, I immediately approached him and said, "How long did you wrestle?"

He was stunned at first then told me he wrestled in high school. We chatted off and on about wrestling, boxing, Jiu Jitsu, MMA, etc. any time we were on the same shift. Later, somewhat recently, we chatted about the sudden demise of our respective marriages and how it basically harpooned any plans we had for our lives and those of our children (his daughter is 4 years old). He seemed really down recently and pretty much kept to himself, not socializing during lunch breaks and not really speaking at all. I told him I recently started going to the PAC open roll No Gi grappling sessions on Sundays and told him how much better it made me feel about life in general. As we were walking toward our cars this past Friday he said, "I probably won't make it out there... I'll see you on Monday."

He wasn't at work Monday. Yesterday there was a group of higher-ups waiting in our department's break room at the beginning of the shift and they said we needed to have a meeting. That's when we all got the news that he had killed himself. The kid was only 23. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/27/23 1:52 p.m.

In reply to The_Jed :

Wow, that's a really young dude to have a whole lot of life come and go.

P3PPY
9/27/23 3:51 p.m.

In reply to The_Jed :

Oh no, man. That is awful. I feel for everyone involved, yourself included. 
As a fellow human I do want to give you credit for inviting him out. That could have been a lifeline if he'd taken it. 

P3PPY
8/13/24 9:46 a.m.

Huh, year old thread now.

Minor loss was yesterday the kids saw a hawk in the front yard. It was smaller and took off when some crows came by. Under it on the ground was a very small, young squirrel. We saw that it was missing part of its front leg and, though unresponsive, was taking huge breaths.

Not being particularly reluctant to dispatch rodents in the first place, my first inclination was to let the hawk come back and get it but there were loud objections to that, so I put a small cage over it to let it die in peace.

A couple hours later he was still laying there, breathing hard. At one point he cried out a few times. I went back inside but got to thinking, "there are all kinds of deformed critters out there; what if little fella could live and keep going for now??" so we mixed up a water/sugar/salt mix and got an eyedropper and proceeded to try to get him some nourishment.

He never did respond, and I tried to let just a little leak down his throat so he wouldn't choke on it. Standing around, we named him Stumpy. As the family took off for a playground, I cleaned him off a little, giving him some kind contact, getting fleas and fly larve off of him, and let him rest. Then I posted up by him to make sure no other predators or flies came his way to harass him. I was very aware of my humanness of saving a creature in need that in other circumstances I would not have hesitated to do in.

About an hour later his breathing slowed and then stopped. I was way more sad than I had expected.

lownslow
lownslow GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/13/24 7:40 p.m.

Can't save them all, but good on you for caring and making his last few hours more comfortable. 

octavious
octavious Dork
8/13/24 9:08 p.m.

I don't like doing all car projects anymore.  There was a time when I didn't want anyone else touching my vehicles.  I want to do the things I want to do, like add a winch to my old Willys Jeep.  But I don't want to do the things I need to do like rebuild the carb, or fix a leaky engine seal. And since my wife's car is still under warranty, off to the dealer it goes. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ExSIynpbtGyko0ckHSXJtVoqDQlSA4df56wA70SIPGf0vlVrTfJm0UsTrXrWORq4