1 ... 2019 2020 2021 2022
Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/13/24 1:10 p.m.

Go to Summit to pick up a new cooler bag and see what's on the returns shelf 

Picked up a multi gauge that will probably be easier to wire in to Colin vs the WRX instrument cluster.

And a set of $450 QA1 coilovers for a lot less than $450.  Probably perfect rear shocks for the RX-7 buuuut Nationals is like 3 days away before I have to leave.  Worst case the coilover perches are worth what I paid for the whole shocks and Colin needs that stuff for the rear.

Walk in to spend $13, walk out spending $210...

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/13/24 1:49 p.m.

The case to remove my lead has inched up into the higher regions of HR. It's gone to something called "Employee relations" and they have been calling each of us to document what he has done to us. It's literally taken years to get to the point. Meanwhile I discovered that half my co-workers are on some sort of anti-anxiety medication due to my lead.

Pete. (l33t FS)
10/13/24 2:03 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine :

Can they apply for compensation for the anti anxiety meds?

I forgot, not a perfect world...

j_tso
j_tso Dork
10/13/24 6:20 p.m.

FedEx says "not deliverable because no one was home" and a photo of a door tag. But I was home, there is no door tag, and the photo is not of my door.

Tracking says there's no signature required so at best I think the driver said "berkeley it, it's Sunday and I'm going home", at worse he's leaving tags at the wrong door.

I've had FedEx miss a day and it's no big deal, plus it's Sunday (didn't know they were working today), just don't bullE36 M3 me.

I needed to upgrade to a bigger printer since the GF is always printing out flyers, trifolds and business cards for the nonprofit animal rescue she works for. She smoked brand new black and color cartridges in 5 days. So off to the interwebs.

I found a site that explained the differences between two models of printer I was looking at. The writing was... odd. Yep, it was an AI generated article. The "author's" bio had me laughing:

I AM REAL HUMAN. WE ARE NOW HERE TO SERVE OUR EXPERIENCE.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
10/14/24 8:37 a.m.

In reply to stanger_mussle (Supported by GRM undergarments) :

If you have the space it's impossible to beat off lease workgroup size printers. I bought one just recently that's 11x17 capable full color laser duplex capable for $450, for my dad. Mine I bought for the same price five years ago and have done exactly nothing to it not even replaced toner. The cartridges are good for something like 10,000 pages. I mostly print black and white but it does amazing color prints.  It also scans 11x17 full color duplex (double sided)

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
10/14/24 9:42 a.m.

The results of my last blood test are in and my cholesterol is still too high.  I guess I have to make an appointment with the doctor to go on something.  I've made it 49 years without having to take any "maintenance" drugs, but I was hoping to make it longer.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/14/24 9:59 a.m.

I picked up an Epson 16650 Supertanker a couple of years ago for business use. It will print Super B which is 13"x19". I use it for plans and such. An ink fill lasts me about a year and a half and I print a bunch of stuff. The ink also comes by the bottle so you can top off the black or any of the colors without replacing an entire cartridge. 

Genuine Epson 542 Ink Bottle 4 Pack for ET-5150 ET-5850 ET-16500 ST-C8000 |  eBay 

eastpark
eastpark HalfDork
10/14/24 11:36 a.m.

Crackle tunes. A big F U to whoever thought this was a good idea. 
The gasoline equivalent to rolling coal.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/14/24 11:58 a.m.
eastpark said:

Had one of those at Saturday's autocross.  So freaking annoying and stupid.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/14/24 1:17 p.m.
dculberson said:

If you have the space it's impossible to beat off lease workgroup size printers. I bought one just recently that's 11x17 capable full color laser duplex capable for $450, for my dad. Mine I bought for the same price five years ago and have done exactly nothing to it not even replaced toner. The cartridges are good for something like 10,000 pages. I mostly print black and white but it does amazing color prints.  It also scans 11x17 full color duplex (double sided)

I need to look into this for The Dancer- her non-profit prints a fair amount of stuff and I'm always having to run to either the library or FedEx to print stuff in color (and we spend a fair amount each year on having a print company print the fliers and posters for their shows). Every other year or so we can apply for a grant that we can buy physical stuff with- the last time we got the grant it was for our BlackMagic BMPCC4K video camera, it may be worth looking into getting a big printer so we only have to outsource specialty things (like yard signs, 6' long banners, etc.).

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/14/24 6:09 p.m.
Duke said:
eastpark said:

They also sound nothing like any natural or healthy exhaust crackle, so when you hear it you can instantly be sure that the person is a poser and just went out of their way to be a nuisance.

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/14/24 7:18 p.m.

Someone with a good YouTube personality (not me) should do a tutorial on how to hold a cell phone and learn to take photos and especially movies in LANDSCAPE VIEW at all times unless they are taking a portrait of a Human Being. This is my biggest newest pet peeve even bigger than other people's parking or shopping cart putting away. 

Sorry smiley

Pete. (l33t FS)
10/14/24 7:24 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:
Duke said:
eastpark said:

They also sound nothing like any natural or healthy exhaust crackle, so when you hear it you can instantly be sure that the person is a poser and just went out of their way to be a nuisance.

They also don't sound like antilag, which is amusing when it is installed on a nonturbo car.

Also, modern antilag doesn't pop and bang.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltimaDork
10/14/24 9:16 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
GameboyRMH said:
Duke said:
eastpark said:

They also don't sound like antilag, which is amusing when it is installed on a nonturbo car.

My '64 Corvair crackles and pops on lift throttle coasting, with points distributor and two carburetors. I love that noise. 

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/14/24 10:15 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
GameboyRMH said:
Duke said:
eastpark said:

My '64 Corvair crackles and pops on lift throttle coasting, with points distributor and two carburetors. I love that noise. 

I want a way to disengage one spark plug so that while idling, sitting at a street light, only 5 cylinders of 6 are firing and my car sounds like it has a 3/4 race cam. Maybe make it randomly alternate the missfire?

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/15/24 8:03 a.m.

Same-day shipping does not mean you created a label and ship it a week later. 

Here it is 2 days after the estimated delivery date and the shipper still doesn't have the package.

volvoclearinghouse
10/15/24 9:01 a.m.
VolvoHeretic said:
volvoclearinghouse said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
GameboyRMH said:
Duke said:
eastpark said:

I want a way to disengage one spark plug so that while idling, sitting at a street light, only 5 cylinders of 6 are firing and my car sounds like it has a 3/4 race cam. Maybe make it randomly alternate the missfire?

DONT FORGET THE DOUBLE HUMP HEADS AND STRAIGHT PIPES WITH FOUR BARREL EDLERBROCK AND HEDDERS, FOUR-TEN GEARS AND POSI...LAID A HUNNERD DOLLAR BILL ON THE DASH AND YOU CANT GRAB IT 

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/15/24 9:27 a.m.

In reply to eastpark :

It's the opposite of those hybrid "driving efficiency" displays. Hybrids: SMOOTH THROTTLE INPUTS! NO, SMOOTHER THAN THAT, OR I KILL THIS TREE! I WILL MURDER THIS ROW OF TREES IF YOU DON'T DRIVE SMOOTHER!

Crackle tune at 55 MPH halfway between exit 45 and exit 60: Braaa - *poot...poot...poot* BRAAAAAAAAAAAAA - *poot...poot...poot...CRACK*

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/15/24 9:40 a.m.
Mike (Forum Supporter) said:

Crackle tune at 55 MPH halfway between exit 45 and exit 60: Braaa - *poot...poot...poot* BRAAAAAAAAAAAAA - *poot...poot...poot...CRACK*

Yeah, I used to have the misfortune of encountering one of those during my morning commute.  Cruised along at 55-60 in third or fourth gear and randomly tipped in and out of the throttle just so everyone within a quarter mile knew what a despicable ass he was.

Kind of like the kid with Daddy's M3 who had it set to auto rev-match downshifts, and then made sure to manually force it to downshift at every slowdown... in surface street traffic.

TravisTheHuman
TravisTheHuman MegaDork
10/15/24 9:46 a.m.

Formlabs released a bigger machine recently, but this is on their website:

Uhh, 24.2L is not 4.6x larger.  Its 4.6x the size, or 3.6x larger than 5.2L*

(its actually not even that, but the rest is likely just rounding)

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/15/24 9:54 a.m.

This is my third try typing a rant about how this new tablet keyboard case sucks. It seems to send a random keypress and a random click outside the text box, then sends the browser my reflex backspace so I'm navigating off the page. It's going back, but I had plans that included this absolute pile, so I've gotta decide if I'm going to spend double to buy a locally-available keyboard on short notice or cope.

I cannot imagine this thing had any actual testing. It looks great. I hate it when cheapo companies have cool ideas that they cannot be bothered to do proper R&D on. I like the concept more than the one at twice the price.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/15/24 10:08 a.m.
VolvoHeretic said:

Someone with a good YouTube personality (not me) should do a tutorial on how to hold a cell phone and learn to take photos and especially movies in LANDSCAPE VIEW at all times unless they are taking a portrait of a Human Being. This is my biggest newest pet peeve even bigger than other people's parking or shopping cart putting away. 

Sorry smiley

I rant about this to The Dancer (who does most of the social media stuff for her non-profit) at least once a year when she sends me photos and video to edit into videos to send for grant proposals/reports and I complain about how many of them as in portrait and thus look horrible when I put them into a compilation with video from our shows shot on our semi-pro-level video camera. Her answer is always that "that's what all of the social media platforms like Instagram (and even Facebook) push you to use since most people are looking at them on their phones and hold them vertically," and I have to tell her that I don't care, everyone watching the video for the grants and such are a) likely to be even older than I am and thus NGAF about what social media sites want and b) going to be watching on either a computer monitor or an actual TV- almost none of which are anything close to being portrait orientation

volvoclearinghouse
10/15/24 12:49 p.m.
dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
10/15/24 1:09 p.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse :

What are the chances the decedent wrote that himself?? Seems like an awesome fun dude. 

1 ... 2019 2020 2021 2022

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DCi3aQ9wiMSVeQxZxQsH7Jzh4WrhPAy8GfuCOCVh3iCCAXpBNNkCTM6mLZoyC3Qk