1 ... 299 300 301 302 303 304
Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
8/13/24 12:35 p.m.

Gf's daughter starts high school today.  Went in with a Pontiac GTO shirt on.

gixxeropa
gixxeropa GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/13/24 9:26 p.m.

I go into every simple job expecting the worst. But replacing the rear wheel stud on the tundra probably took about 10 minutes. I was half expecting to have to borrow my fiancées car to go to work tomorrow

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/14/24 10:10 a.m.

After being told he would have to ride the bus to school this morning because he would not take the time to put his car back together, like all summer.  My son Tyler stayed up late and with a friend got his car on the road and drive it to the first day of school this morning.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/14/24 10:31 a.m.

Final time i'm fixing to talk about weight loss. 

Took my last ever wegovy on monday. That's a win because those were starting to berkeleying hurt. 

The REAL minor win was- we were out shopping and I decided to dress as far outside of my comfort zone as humanly possible, (also for a joke at the expense of some of my family) so we went into Vineyard Vines. Once I got over the urge to do some fistfighting- we grabbed some clothes to try on. I have *apparently* gone from roughly a 40" waist and a 2xl shirt, to a 32" waist and a medium. I'll still buy a large shirt because I need the length, but the medium was unexpected, to say the least. 

jmabarone
jmabarone HalfDork
8/14/24 10:52 a.m.
Aaron_King said:

After being told he would have to ride the bus to school this morning because he would not take the time to put his car back together, like all summer.  My son Tyler stayed up late and with a friend got his car on the road and drive it to the first day of school this morning.

Had a similar thing when I was in HS.  Had to replace freeze plugs on my S10.  My dad helped me get the transmission back in and finished up at about 11.  I think he bailed at 10 because he had to get up at 4:30 to go to work.  

I know I thanked him a thousand times but I didn't truly appreciate it until more recently.  

Beer Baron 🍺
Beer Baron 🍺 MegaDork
8/14/24 11:05 a.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

Congrats! Now you get to enjoy the fun of discovering that standard American sizes are made for people with a gut that you don't have.

I've actually had good luck with XL-Slim, when I can find it.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/14/24 11:16 a.m.

In reply to Beer Baron 🍺 :

Slim fit is a reality for me.... and it never has been. I know good and well what toughskins husky is. I've literally been overweight my entire life. 

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/14/24 11:20 a.m.
Mndsm said:

Slim fit is a reality for me.... and it never has been. I know good and well what toughskins husky is. I had literally been overweight my entire life. 

Fixed that for you. Congratulations!

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/14/24 11:34 a.m.

Oh! And it turns out potatoes are really low calorie density for what they are as long as you don't load them with E36 M3. Weird. 6oz of potato is 160cal. 6oz of potato is a LOT of potato. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/14/24 12:23 p.m.
CAinCA said:
Mndsm said:

Slim fit is a reality for me.... and it never has been. I know good and well what toughskins husky is. I had literally been overweight my entire life. 

Fixed that for you. Congratulations!

This highlights one of the unforseen circumstances of my situation. 

The mental game. When I started this, I expected to fail. I've absolutely 100% never been successful at weight loss. The only thing I had working in my favor is pig-headed determination and my ability to drop everything and become laser focused on a given project. When I decide to do something, that's all I'm doing. Even then, I didn't anticipate the level of success I had with this. The BEST GLP estimates are in the 20% range. I'm at 35-36% lost. I nearly doubled it. In theory, the drugs stopped being effective like six months ago, and I've continued to lose. In all aspects I'm extremely successful, and yet, I don't feel like it. I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop and to gain back 110lbs (which, I did the math and it would take mainlining something like...110lbs of butter in addition to my regular calorie intake). It's just a weird situation. I should feel good about it, and I do, but at the same time, it's uncomfortable because it's so far out of known territory. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/14/24 3:52 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

Good job.  I dropped 40 pounds a couple of years ago, from February to August.  I've kept 30 off.  Motivation is interesting.  I got down to the weight I was 20ish years ago, was back to being able to do extreme things like bend over to tie my shoes, and still breathe.  So, motivation kinda gone.  I don't remember what it was like to be 20o pounds, and health benefits are so random and disconnected, for me.

For reference, I'm 6"2", big framed, 253 lbs last Sunday morning. Strong, not cardio fit.  

I've found that it takes constant vigilance to keep it off.  There is not much use in my Weight Watchers app anymore, other than providing me with the daily knowledge of what I've eaten, and the guilt of knowing I'm going over.  Worth $20 a month to me.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/14/24 3:57 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

It's funny you mention shoes. My motivation for this was two fold. I couldn't bend over to tie my shoes without needing a chair and a rest, and I saw that 600lb life show and it really put the fear of god in me. Like I was nowhere near as bad as those guys but goddamn, if you need to stop for a two piece on your way to the hospital for dying of fat- there's a problem. 

gixxeropa
gixxeropa GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/14/24 4:09 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

yeah there's a value in tracking your food, even if you're not trying to affect your weight. I've been using MacroFactor, its paid, but it tracks your weight trends rather than just your exact weight, and it adjust calorie goals based on your trend weight and your goal. its pretty nice, since it helps you tune out the noise you get in weight measurements. It's especially helped my fiancee get less anxious about short term weight swings, which most of the time are just water weight

Beer Baron 🍺
Beer Baron 🍺 MegaDork
8/14/24 4:24 p.m.
Mndsm said:

... In all aspects I'm extremely successful, and yet, I don't feel like it. I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop and to gain back 110lbs (which, I did the math and it would take mainlining something like...110lbs of butter in addition to my regular calorie intake). It's just a weird situation. I should feel good about it, and I do, but at the same time, it's uncomfortable because it's so far out of known territory. 

That's probably a good mindset to keep. Being healthy is not a destination you get to. You don't just hit a target weight and you're "done". That's how people gain back all the weight.

Remember that diet is what you eat everyday, not something you go on temporarily. You need to maintain healthy eating and exercise habits. But once you've got that you just... keep doing it.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/14/24 4:47 p.m.

Yeah, that part I get, and I have no intentions of coasting. The mindset the entire time was to change the habit, not just the circumstance. Fortunately, that part was *relatively* easy, in the fact that I can eat like a four-year old and still be happy. Chicken nuggets and cereal. Eat the right ones and they're well within budget and I can eat that every day. 

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/16/24 9:18 a.m.

My thrash on Wednesday night to get the Rav4 back in service after the muffler section rusted through last weekend. In 18 years of ownership, this is the 3rd aftermarket exhaust I've installed, but total investment is still less than 1/3 of the cost to replace it with the factory part (integrated catalytic converter). Despite needing a larger tailpipe expander (gave it a big PASS in the HF Pass/Fail Thread), I was able to get it all done and buttoned up so my son could drive it the next day. With three (and soon to be four) drivers, getting a car back on the road quickly is important.  The Saab also had a hiccup this week that took 10 min to fix, and I already had the part I needed. Thankful for those little wins :-)

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/16/24 10:56 a.m.

Getting ready for church, I was a few minutes later than I like getting out the door. I have a bunch of duties so I get there about half hour early typically.

Halfway down the block I get a ::ding ding:: the drivers rear is at 8 psi. I bring it back to the garage and start the compressor.

Tunakids 1 and 2 jumped out and grabbed tools. We had the wheel off the van in just a few minutes. We plugged the tire after pulling the nail, pumped it up, torqued the lugs, dropped the van and still got to church on time, even got to change my shirt.

11GTCS
11GTCS SuperDork
8/16/24 1:38 p.m.

So the plan yesterday was to leave for the lake around 11:00 to stay through next week.  The bride started a load of laundry around 8:30, no big deal.  Around 10:30 I hear rummaging in the basement laundry room and find that she's moving things to find the source of the water on the floor.  Good times....

I did some quick troubleshooting and at first thought it was the hot water hose leaking (some mineral deposits on the stainless outer jacket) but decided to run a quick fill / spin to be sure.  Next thing there's water gushing up out of the drain trap.  Well E36 M3...

The minor win?  This happened before we left; our daughter lives with us and she would have done a load of laundry at some point and dumped a ton of water in the basement unknowingly.  The continued win is that I was able to pretty quickly confirm that the main drain to the city sewer was not the issue.  While I had to cut the washing machine drain line piping in a couple of places to snake it and then flush it out I had all the fittings and material "in stock" to make the repairs.  I was done, cleaned up and we were still on the road before 1:00 PM.  (I even had a new set of washing machine hoses!)  Dodged flooding out the basement and a multi hundred dollar service call or a 6 hour round trip back home to fix it.  

Bonus win; there was a round of decent thunderstorms up here around 2:00-3:00 PM yesterday.  By the time we arrived they had moved south and the sun was out for a nice dry boat ride out to the island.  If we'd been on time we would have been sitting in the car until they passed anyway.  LOL.

NermalSnert (Forum Supporter)
NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
8/17/24 2:40 p.m.

We're having a regular ol' Miata buy, sell, trade throw down this week on GRM. MWLIG.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/18/24 2:08 a.m.

My cousin won an Emmy for his work as a drone camera operator!  This is the same cousin who was a professional drone racer. Very cool!

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/19/24 11:33 p.m.

Forbidden fruit! Our IT guy went back to Texas for a visit and pulled an alternate universe Smokey and the Bandit run by bringing some Lone Star back to the west coast.

wae
wae UltimaDork
8/20/24 1:37 p.m.

I tried to use the online system to renew my cars' tags a couple weeks ago and it failed with a message that I needed to do it in person at the courthouse.  I thought it might be because they're still hung up getting the taxes for a couple motorcycles I sold last year (and, thus, shouldn't owe 2024 taxes on), so I gathered all the papers to go to the county clerk this afternoon and get it all taken care of.  On a lark, I decided to try again before I left.  I don't know what the glitch was before, but this time around it accepted all the registrations so now I don't have to go over there.

budget_bandit
budget_bandit Reader
8/20/24 1:44 p.m.

In reply to DarkMonohue :

my second favorite beer! and probably my favorite looking can. I have a real soft spot for Lone Star

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/20/24 7:00 p.m.

Despite leaving work in excruciating pain, I still managed to stop and stomp out a grass fire in the road's median before it got out of control and wasted the fire department's time.

I just cant turn it off.

budget_bandit
budget_bandit Reader
8/20/24 11:07 p.m.

I'm apparently on track for a promotion in the next cycle. I'll take it!

1 ... 299 300 301 302 303 304

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Y1NGDGxWOeU0x5Od59DL0XIeP37qxEgrPUqaSPG4Zx4UCwkJaQQ7HZMEuKDNMRGj