1 2
Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
12/2/16 2:13 p.m.

I just finished watching the Boost Caboose Episode.

So... is this the most Roadkill thing they've done to date? Or is there something else they've done that outdoes this? I don't mean the coolest or most desperate thing or most GRM. I mean the most Roadkill.

NEALSMO
NEALSMO UltraDork
12/2/16 2:14 p.m.

I've been seeing the teasers for that episode on my YouTube feed for a month now. Is it finally out for us cheapo non-subscribers to watch?

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/2/16 2:16 p.m.
NEALSMO wrote: I've been seeing the teasers for that episode on my YouTube feed for a month now. Is it finally out for us cheapo non-subscribers to watch?

Yup. Full of brilliant levels of stupidity and success despite stacking the deck against themselves for no reason other than, "Why not?"

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
12/2/16 2:46 p.m.

That was very silly and a lot of fun. Much Roadkilliness

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/2/16 2:48 p.m.
chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UberDork
12/2/16 3:31 p.m.

Awesome! The datsun truck episode is pretty awesome also.

NickD
NickD Dork
12/2/16 3:41 p.m.

I had already seen this because I got MTOD (Roadkill Garage alone is worth the $4 a month). I don't know, this episode didn't do much for me. Interesting concept, although I would have liked to see them make an "instrumented" run without the Boost Caboose though to make sure that the run with it operational wasn't just putting them back at the same performance level as uncoupled

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
12/2/16 4:19 p.m.

Doesn't it take like only 25hp to spin a supercharger that size?

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
12/2/16 7:39 p.m.
NickD wrote: ...Interesting concept, although I would have liked to see them make an "instrumented" run without the Boost Caboose though to make sure that the run with it operational wasn't just putting them back at the same performance level as uncoupled

Like I said, most Roadkill thing they've ever done.

wearymicrobe wrote: Doesn't it take like only 25hp to spin a supercharger that size?

Like I said...

failboat
failboat UberDork
12/3/16 4:34 a.m.

Maybe in the second iteration of the boost caboose they can spin the charger with the leaf blowers. Lol

cj32769
cj32769 New Reader
12/3/16 7:58 a.m.

How about blower driven of the driveshaft?

NickD
NickD Dork
12/3/16 8:00 a.m.
wearymicrobe wrote: Doesn't it take like only 25hp to spin a supercharger that size?

Didn't you listen? To bolt it up to the Monza would require removing the power steering pump, and that's just inconvenient. The Boost Caboose is clearly much more convenient. Clearly.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
12/3/16 8:04 a.m.

"Fueled by beer and pizza, probably more so the beer"

In today's overly purified world, I like that they can wave a finger to the politically correct and declare that ideas and booze do combine along with irresponsible and pointless behavior.

Myself, I was going to give it a lot of love till I realized that Freiburger was NOT going to be ridding on the caboose chariot style. Personally, I am all about the challenges of a road trip and still have the Alaska Campaign as the alpha Roadkill Episodes.

I thought they were going to be running some kind of giant V8 powered compressor off of the caboose, not just a centrifugal blower that could have gone under the hood of the Monza.

Cant wait for the next episode.

In an effort to fill the void between episodes, I am becoming a fan of "Dirt Everyday " since the vehicular antics are parallel, only with off- road themes.

NickD
NickD Dork
12/3/16 8:26 a.m.
NOHOME wrote: In an effort to fill the void between episodes, I am becoming a fan of "Dirt Everyday " since the vehicular antics are parallel, only with off- road themes.

Dirt Every Day is really hit or miss with me. Sometimes they have a really good episode (any with the Alabama/Alaska Army Truck are awesome) but there are a number of sinkers. And while Fred can be a riot, a lot of the time he feels very scripted and forced.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
12/3/16 9:32 a.m.
NickD wrote:
Didn't you listen? To bolt it up to the Monza would require removing the power steering pump, and that's just inconvenient. The Boost Caboose is clearly much more convenient. Clearly.

I was thinking small self contained snow mobile engine on the roof with a ram air setup into the blower. Really movable from car to car.

qued
qued New Reader
12/3/16 9:42 a.m.

Sort of a halfassed version of the Manic Beattie Hillclimb Car. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11687nVdzdk

http://raceenginedesign.biz/Manic-Beattie.htm

Without the helicopter turbine.

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UberDork
12/3/16 10:09 a.m.

Before watching it, and only seeing a picture of an engine bolted to a trailer, I was envisioning the trailer having "drive", like maybe with a GM FWD transaxle arrangement.

qued
qued New Reader
12/3/16 10:44 a.m.

It's been done.

The Porsche in this photo is a pure EV. Its trailer is a fully functional front half of an early 80's VW Rabbit: ICE-powered (Internal Combustion Engine), automatic transmission. The Porsche owner installed a simple set of controls to "drive" the pusher trailer: an ignition/starter switch and throttle control.

The owner claims this setup is completely stable in all driving conditions.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
12/3/16 11:50 a.m.

I liked the Covette-Kart, the Wheelie truck and even the body-swap projects, but this build was pretty pointless. I watched the first few minutes than skipped forward to the end.

I hear that in next week's episode they're going to try to fab a Reliant Robin into a Space Shuttle, or some other such nonsense.

NickD
NickD Dork
12/3/16 12:19 p.m.

In reply to nderwater:

Nah, the next episode is pretty down to Earth. Finnegan buys a Datsun mini-truck and then they roadtrip it to go pick up Freiburger's dream car.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
12/3/16 12:42 p.m.

Swmbo just asked "why is it that they get where they're going before theyou realize they don't have the stuff they need like every time?"

Jay
Jay UltraDork
12/3/16 1:14 p.m.

Because Roadkill.

NickD
NickD Dork
12/5/16 3:58 p.m.
NickD wrote: Interesting concept, although I would have liked to see them make an "instrumented" run without the Boost Caboose though to make sure that the run with it operational wasn't just putting them back at the same performance level as uncoupled

Was watching a Roadkill Extra Q&A session and Freiburger was saying that it bothered him that they never made a run without the caboose hitched to the Monza

Cactus
Cactus Reader
12/5/16 5:13 p.m.
mndsm wrote: Swmbo just asked "why is it that they get where they're going before theyou realize they don't have the stuff they need like every time?"

This one is easy to explain: It's because they're constrained to the camera crew's schedule. They're scheduled to be hours away from a parts store then, so by-golly they're going to be there.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/5/16 7:07 p.m.

It was silly, but fun and thats what its all about. Suprised they didn't mention the fact this process elimintes any lag.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BnewKz0OX51mLBz0lMCv6KicNlehjnUVWxRrQxKPzUIMsFBGAdSfEg8iFwF0SWhL