1 2
Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/5/16 8:41 p.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: It was silly, but fun and thats what its all about. Suprised they didn't mention the fact this process elimintes any lag.

I was going to say something about the 25 feet of flexible tubing, but I suppose since it's pressurized, there shouldn't be any lag. Theoretically, at least.

Man, these guys do some sketchy stuff. I'll admit, I'm waiting to hear that one of them has blown off a bunch of fingers or something. A worthy sacrifice for our entertainment, I say!

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
12/5/16 9:48 p.m.

Here's an idea for Boost Caboose 2.0.

On the caboose:

-centrifugal supercharger

-two 67 trim eBay turbos

-junkyard M90 blower

On the Monza:

-200 shot of nitrous.

How to suck in, chew up, and spit out the local wildlife 101.

stroker
stroker SuperDork
12/6/16 8:33 a.m.

Mebbe it's just me, but I thought that was about the most useless Roadkill episode I've seen...

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
12/6/16 8:44 a.m.

It was very fun for me to watch, but very silly from a technical standpoint. I guess it removes the parasitic drag and keeps the boost constant under all RPM, but it probably doesn't make up for towing a trailer around.

I will say, though, that it was probably the most unsafe thing they have done yet. It made for good TV though.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/6/16 8:45 a.m.

In reply to stroker:

"Useless" is the definition of Roadkill.

I'm betting he wanted to ride on the caboose but it got nixed by insurance.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Dork
12/6/16 11:56 a.m.

There are more than enough shows where things are done correctly. These guys goof off with junk (for the most part) without making a big deal out of it. There was no educational value to the episode, and I'm fine with that.

Vettekart and stubby Bob are my favorite episodes. The parking lot elco engine swap was pretty good too.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/6/16 12:06 p.m.

I don't think the Vette chassis Buick is coming back. That thing is haggard.

NickD
NickD Dork
12/6/16 12:17 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: I don't think the Vette chassis Buick is coming back. That thing is haggard.

I was thinking the same thing. It deteriorated really badly in transport, they yanked the drivetrain out of it and further trashed it, and Freiburger sounds like he wasn't particularly fond of it to begin with and wasn't too hung up on getting it running and driving.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
12/6/16 1:02 p.m.
NickD wrote:
Appleseed wrote: I don't think the Vette chassis Buick is coming back. That thing is haggard.
I was thinking the same thing. It deteriorated really badly in transport, they yanked the drivetrain out of it and further trashed it, and Freiburger sounds like he wasn't particularly fond of it to begin with and wasn't too hung up on getting it running and driving.

That was a terrible idea.

If they had ended that "project" by dragging that thing out of the weeds and saying "Look, there comes a time when even the silliest wacky ideas are too far to reach. This is one of those times, the moral of this story is to don't buy something just because you invested a day trying to get it out and look at it. We bought some parts off it and will sell them as souvenirs. Buy better starting points for projects, audience!"

I would be way happier.

NickD
NickD Dork
12/6/16 2:06 p.m.
tuna55 wrote:
NickD wrote:
That was a terrible idea. If they had ended that "project" by dragging that thing out of the weeds and saying "Look, there comes a time when even the silliest wacky ideas are too far to reach. This is one of those times, the moral of this story is to don't buy something just because you invested a day trying to get it out and look at it. We bought some parts off it and will sell them as souvenirs. Buy better starting points for projects, audience!" I would be way happier.

I actually didn't hate it. I thought the finalized stance looked like it had potential to at least look awesome. Wasn't my favorite car of theirs, but certainly wasn't my least favorite (Either the Ranchero or the dirt-track Challenger wins that one)

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/6/16 2:30 p.m.

When evaluating projects from a "why would anyone do this?" point of view, we need to also remember projects for shows like this are chosen mostly for potential entertainment value.

The project value and performance as an actual car is secondary.

NickD
NickD Dork
12/6/16 3:55 p.m.
Ian F wrote: When evaluating projects from a "why would anyone do this?" point of view, we need to also remember projects for shows like this are chosen mostly for potential entertainment value. The project value and performance as an actual car is secondary.

The real problem is, they went into this with no real solid plan with a ton of variables. It was "Go to junkyard, buy car, get car running" but they had no idea what condition the cars were in (deplorable), they had no idea what the guy's prices were going to be, they had no clue that the guy wasn't going to part with stuff like he said he would. So by the time they got there and learned that, they were committed to doing something due to time constraints, so they ahd to make do with what they could.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/6/16 4:13 p.m.

To be fair, a lot of our projects go the same way.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
12/7/16 7:13 a.m.
NickD wrote:
Ian F wrote: When evaluating projects from a "why would anyone do this?" point of view, we need to also remember projects for shows like this are chosen mostly for potential entertainment value. The project value and performance as an actual car is secondary.
The real problem is, they went into this with no real solid plan with a ton of variables. It was "Go to junkyard, buy car, get car running" but they had no idea what condition the cars were in (deplorable), they had no idea what the guy's prices were going to be, they had no clue that the guy wasn't going to part with stuff like he said he would. So by the time they got there and learned that, they were committed to doing *something* due to time constraints, so they ahd to make do with what they could.

And like I said, to call it at the point where they inspected the car, and just say "you know what? This isn't going to work out." would have made for a better episode.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/7/16 8:23 a.m.

I disagree. That would have been far more realistic, but where's the fun in that? I get enough reality in real life. Sometimes it's fun to watch someone else go all out and fail miserably.

NickD
NickD Dork
12/7/16 8:41 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: I disagree. That would have been far more realistic, but where's the fun in that? I get enough reality in real life. Sometimes it's fun to watch someone else go all out and fail miserably.

Agreed. Would it have been more fun for the video to get 5 minutes and them to say "Screw it, we give up" and then just stand around with their hootuses in their hands? I think not.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UberDork
12/7/16 8:43 a.m.

That's one of the best things, they don't just quit; they go for it.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
12/7/16 9:23 a.m.

i love roadkill just for the pure fun of doing things just to do it. But the one thing i cant stand is how they seem to NEVER check fluids. like when they bought the old dodge challenger dirt track car. when they test drove it the trans stopped working because it was low on fluid and was never checked. then after they left to drive it to where ever they were going the rear end started to eat itself because it was out of fluid, again which was never check, and they had to change it in a parking lot.

I get the raw-ness of doing the bare minimum of getting an old car running and driving but it takes what, 20 minutes to check every fluid in a car? coolant, oil, trans, diff, maybe power steering if you have it, thats it.

but thats my only pet-peeve of the show. If i had the money and tools to do what they do i would do exactly that, i dont even need camera's to follow me around. I think the nas-carlo and the cummins caddy are my 2 favorites

NickD
NickD Dork
12/7/16 9:36 a.m.
edizzle89 wrote: i love roadkill just for the pure fun of doing things just to do it. But the one thing i cant stand is how they seem to NEVER check fluids. like when they bought the old dodge challenger dirt track car. when they test drove it the trans stopped working because it was low on fluid and was never checked. then after they left to drive it to where ever they were going the rear end started to eat itself because it was out of fluid, again which was never check, and they had to change it in a parking lot.

Yeah, I thought that was absolutely moronic. And once they found out the rearend was low, instead of stopping and topping it off and maybe saving it, they instead just kept driving along on it for no real reason until it exploded. That kind of baffled me.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FXIOeXhcr9xfwhxtmseSkHbsZcHpzflHiSGiYXp4xCLAULpH9m0v0cN9odKYu7ow