1 2
pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/17/13 9:40 a.m.

I have a pile of old iPods, they were all obsoleted by iPhones. They are now permanent fixtures in my boom boxes since the iPhone 5 obsoleted my boom boxes.

For listening in the car, just get a stereo with a USB and pop in a little jump drive full of MP3s.

Grizz
Grizz SuperDork
7/17/13 9:47 a.m.

I had a 120 gig Zune, till I left it in a car on a 115 degree day and the wires on the battery decided they didn't want to stay connected anymore.

Now I just have my laptop with some sweet ass speakers/cooling fan dealie for music around the house. I figure I'll just throw a stereo with a usb into my vehicle whenever I get around to it and use a portable hard drive I've got.

It is, however, annoying that you cannot find a new mp3 player over 16 gigs anymore that isn't an apple product.

Jerry
Jerry HalfDork
7/17/13 10:22 a.m.
Grizz wrote: It is, however, annoying that you cannot find a new mp3 player over 16 gigs anymore that isn't an apple product.

I'm lamenting this now as well.

failboat
failboat SuperDork
7/17/13 1:20 p.m.

i saw this get bumped the other day.

i ended up getting a 160gb ipod classic. itunes gave me a headache and made me want to throw and break things, but once i got to managing my music with winamp i loved it.

then one day only a few months after i got the ipod, i carelessly left it in the pocket of my jeans and it went through a full wash cycle in the laundry. game over. yes i didnt turn it on for a week. yes i let it sit in a dish with rice. yes i sat that dish of rice somewhat near the heat lamp of a reptile tank so it would be semi warm while it sat for a week. no response from the ipod at all.

that was a couple months ago. i still have not bought a replacement mp3 player. just loading a small fraction of my music collection on my phone and using that in the car or at the office for the time being. sorry, its still kind of a pain in the ass to use the android device for music. i got a newer app that makes music management easier (and it seems to have boosed the line out volume a bit!) but i would rather have a good old fashioned mp3 player with buttons. I will probably get another ipod classic at some point because there isn't really anything comparable with that much storage.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/17/13 1:43 p.m.
Jerry wrote: In reply to Xceler8x: Are you charging the phone while driving? I would think you'd have to. That's another cord dangling from my dashboard. And I need it more for work, during the week anyway. Still charging my phone from either my PC or outlet, while it's also plugged into speakers. I have a feeling I'm joining the herd in a few weeks with a $150 iPod. But I have to check out this Media Monkey that was mentioned, I really don't want to use iTunes.

With my setup, using bluetooth to stream the music to the aux input, the power cord is the only cord going to my phone. It works really well actually. I get in the car, plug in the power cord, and that's it. Streaming tunes from my android phone!

I have an older iPod as well. The last one with a wheel. It works well but doesn't have the BT connectivity so doesn't work in my car nearly as well. The wife's subie can read it though. She can control it's playback from the wheel. Pretty slick as it then just sits in the console.

yamaha
yamaha UberDork
7/17/13 3:32 p.m.

I use one of the many mp3 download apps on my droid........free and theres a large selection. Occasionally, I will fire up the 'ol 512mb shuffle(last non phone) to play music.

slowride
slowride Reader
7/17/13 4:38 p.m.

Sony has a 32-gb Walkman:

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/12769304431839662903?q=sony+walkman&safe=off&client=safari&rls=en&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.49405654,d.aWc,pv.xjs.s.en_US.QXiTEk6XjhM.O&biw=1622&bih=943&tch=1&ech=1&psi=XA7nUbxihojKAbWcgKAL.1374096995797.3&sa=X&ei=Yg7nUZ71HcrkyAGg_4DoCg&ved=0CMoBEPMCMAg

And Cowon has a 120-gb player: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/937760-REG/cowon_x7_120wh_x7_120gb_white_mp3.html

Grizz
Grizz SuperDork
7/17/13 7:09 p.m.

I didn't know about the Walkman, I had a 16 gig that I gave to my mom and it's still running perfectly and I bought it six years ago or more.

I knew about the Cowon, I just hate touch screens for stuff that lives in my pocket with my keys, knives and other E36 M3.

Jerry
Jerry HalfDork
7/18/13 9:29 a.m.

I think for $135 I'm going with an iPod 16GB, as long as it plugs into my AUX input in the console of the car. Thanks for the suggestions (I hadn't really paid attention to players since my old Sansa was a gift in 2007).

slowride
slowride Reader
7/18/13 9:35 a.m.

Assuming you get one that has a dock connector, I recommend one of these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=882319&is=REG&Q=&A=details

Works better than the headphone jack (line out instead of volume-controlled) and you can charge with a USB cable at the same time.

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
7/18/13 4:43 p.m.

I have an 8gig Creative Zen Mosaic that I got as a $40 refurb off of Amazon. The buttons are great for when I'm out on my bicycle (with one earbud in, mind you) and want to skip ahead without having to look at a touch screen.

I'm an Android user (old Samsung Galaxy S) and between the mapmyride app and then playing music, my battery would last 5 minutes.

It is odd to me that so few people demand a player with actual tactile buttons.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rvAizWtmjPxM7UBNZ19ZqCcZiyLmONzPNL7m99VPfHd5AegRCSPh71lBbAqIU17C