1 2 3
Ranger50
Ranger50 UltraDork
8/13/12 10:35 a.m.

I am a Brian that has been Ryan, Bryan, and Brain. IF people ask, I just say call me Ranger.

slefain
slefain SuperDork
8/13/12 10:36 a.m.
Ranger50 wrote: I am a Brian that has been Ryan, Bryan, and Brain. IF people ask, I just say call me Ranger.

My grandmother spelled my name "Brain" and I never once corrected her.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/13/12 10:43 a.m.

A rose is a rose... plus, maybe you are Brian.

Ian F
Ian F UberDork
8/13/12 10:51 a.m.
slefain wrote:
Ranger50 wrote: I am a Brian that has been Ryan, Bryan, and Brain. IF people ask, I just say call me Ranger.
My grandmother spelled my name "Brain" and I never once corrected her.

We call one of my old mountain biking buddies "Brain" sometimes... but that's partly because he's got a big head and had trouble finding helmets that would fit.

16vCorey
16vCorey UberDork
8/13/12 11:32 a.m.
Conquest351 wrote: My name IS Brian. When I answer the phone, "This is Brian..." I get everything BUT Brian. Hey Greg... Hey Brad... Hey Ryan... Hey George... (wtf?) Hey Rick... I'm like, "It's Brian". Don't get it. Oh well.

I get that a lot too. My name is Corey, and over the phone I get Cody, Gordy, and Greg(?) more often than people calling me by my actual name.

Once I signed up for internet and phone through AT&T, and when spelling out my last name, the guy thought I said "A" instead of "K", so my bills came to Corey Arietenstein, and almost immediately so did the junk mail and a flood of telemarketers calling for "Mr. Arietenstein". That made it pretty obvious who sold me out. I canceled my services pretty quickly after that, making sure they knew exactly why. I've never seen a flood of junk like that before in my life. They must have sold or given my info to absolutely anyone who would take it. Not acceptable.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Dork
8/13/12 11:45 a.m.

I have a cousin named Byron. Have known another Byron also. They have similar problems with people calling them Brian.

On a side note, how about being named Wendell like I am. You wouldn't believe the bastardization of that name, both in pronouncing and spelling. Even took a while for my Korean wife to learn to pronounce my name. Even after 30+ years she still doesn't have it completely correct.

EricM
EricM SuperDork
8/13/12 11:49 a.m.

Very close family members (only like 3 or 4) call me Ric.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/13/12 11:53 a.m.

In reply to EricM:

I'm now picturing you as Rik from The Young Ones.

Grizz
Grizz Dork
8/13/12 11:58 a.m.

In reply to wlkelley3:

What are you talking about Waynderr?

Sorry, couldn't help meself. Had a Viet Girlfriend at one point who struggled with my name as well. Her mom always sounded like she was calling me Karen.

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
8/13/12 12:37 p.m.

Try being a dude named Dana. I get Dave and Damian regularly, at least those are masculine. Every Puerto Rican I've ever met calls me "Donna". All my junk mail is directed to "Ms. Dana Blahblah". Tampax sent sample tampons to me under this name when I was 13.

Must be why I keep a beard.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
8/13/12 12:50 p.m.

But I am

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon Reader
8/13/12 2:14 p.m.

Don't feel bad Bart, it happens all the time

My name is Stephen. I get:

Step-hen Stefan Stephanie Steff Seth

Long story short, people are stupid.

Hal
Hal Dork
8/13/12 2:20 p.m.

Occasionally I get someone calling me "Al" instead of "Hal" but other than that the only problem I ever had with my name was when my father was living.

We had the same first name and the same middle initial but the middle name was different. That could produce some real hilarity at times.

Best was when my mother would answer the phone and someone would ask for "Hal" (we used the same nickname also). Some times she would ask the person "Which one?", but most of the time she would just hand the phone to whichever one of us was closest at the time.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/13/12 2:24 p.m.
Spoolpigeon wrote: Don't feel bad Bart, it happens all the time My name is Stephen. I get: Step-hen Stefan Stephanie Steff Seth Long story short, people are stupid.

Mine is Stefan, I can relate there with ya Steve :) Nothing worse than being called Stefanie on the first day of school because the teacher read the name too quickly (having a long last name didn't help with the limited space available on the print outs). Always hard to live that down in school.

BTW, I'm Brian and so is my wife! :)

nicksta43
nicksta43 HalfDork
8/13/12 5:06 p.m.

Hey Brian, it's ok, relax and take a deap breath.

My name is Nick and my brothers name is Rick, My mom has called me Ricknick my whole life. She calls my Brother Nickrick. It got worse when she recently started dating a man named Dick, now I'm Rickdicknick.

Her name is one of a kind I've never heard of anything even close, Vertain, It's hilarious to hear people try and pronounce it. She just tells people to call her V.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
8/13/12 5:10 p.m.
ValuePack wrote: Try being a dude named Dana. I get Dave and Damian regularly, at least those are masculine. Every Puerto Rican I've ever met calls me "Donna". All my junk mail is directed to "Ms. Dana Blahblah". Tampax sent sample tampons to me under this name when I was 13. Must be why I keep a beard.

I get it! One of the few friends I made after changing high schools was a guy named Dana. He had a friend that seemed to always be there. One day not long after we'd all met, I saw the mutual acquaintance without the guy and asked, "Hey, where's Andrews?" He replied, "ANDREWS?!?! His name is (real last name)!!" About this time, Dana comes walking up, laughing like crazy. "Let it go.", he says. "I'd rather have that one than some of the other E36 M3!".

For folks who aren't film fans:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000763/

If you've been watching the Hotlink Thread, and remember him as the distressed dad in "Hot Rods to Hell" (1967), go watch "The Best Years of Our Lives" (1946) instead.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU0d3DVcKoY

ST_ZX2
ST_ZX2 HalfDork
8/13/12 5:16 p.m.

I get called "Kevin" all the time--2 or 3 times a week literally. My name is "Erik". Aside from the "K's" that is not even close...and when most people write my name, the spell it with a "C" anyway.

Maybe it has to do with my last name. Bacon.

...and no, we're not related.

nicksta43
nicksta43 HalfDork
8/13/12 5:20 p.m.

MMMMMMMM....Bacon

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/13/12 5:42 p.m.

Something weird happened when I moved to Michigan. People started calling me Jim. In Texas I would introduce myself as James and thats what I would be called. Same thing in West Virginia and Ohio. I move to Michigan and BAM! All Jim all the time.

Hi Im James

Hi Jim, Im Larry

I send emails at work, sign them James and get a response to Jim. Its damned wierd how much it happens. I can only assume it has something to do with the great lakes or coney dogs.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/13/12 8:34 p.m.

In reply to logdog:

damn Jim, that's funny. i have noticed the same thing re Michiganders changing my name for me. I introduce myself as Patrick, and they call me Pat. No, berkeleystick, it's not Pat, it's Patrick. I quit arguing it after my good friend Darren told me "Patrick is what a faggot named Pat calls himself before he comes out of the closet." FWIW, Darren was a Michigander.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/13/12 9:27 p.m.

By the way, Happy Birthday Brian!

thestig99
thestig99 Reader
8/13/12 9:51 p.m.

Another actual Brian checking in...

Have been Ryan, Brad, Brent...

Anti-stance
Anti-stance Dork
8/13/12 9:58 p.m.

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo Reader
8/14/12 12:35 p.m.

My name is Thanh. Rhymes with John.

I get called Todd and Tom a lot whenever I tell someone my name for the first time. Introductions always take a bit longer than they should.

mtn
mtn PowerDork
8/14/12 12:42 p.m.
DuctTape&Bondo wrote: My name is Thanh. Rhymes with John. I get called Todd and Tom a lot whenever I tell someone my name for the first time. Introductions always take a bit longer than they should.

Vietnamese?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XoaaXukprN8G3c7GYWj9ravTSJPIMH9eiHkgak4CGz0TPq234uBRcSXcviUyMJVM