TravisTheHuman
TravisTheHuman MegaDork
10/18/24 12:03 p.m.

NaNoWriMo is coming up next month.  I'm not planning on participating in a traditional way, but I do want to challenge myself to creatively write every day for the month of November.  My son is really excited to do it as well.

Can anyone recommend any prompts/challenges/etc. more suited for practicing creative writing in the form of shorter stories as opposed to trying to write a 50k word book in a month?  I'm especially interested in anything that might help guide a 9 year old.

On a related note, is anyone else participating this year?  Tried it in the past?

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
10/18/24 12:36 p.m.

I tried it a few years ago. Came up with a finished story, but it was about 28000 words. Too big for a short story and too short to be a novel. I've occasionally tried to figure out if I can expand or shrink it into something more publishable.

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Dork
10/18/24 1:25 p.m.

I should attempt it this year. Always say I am going to, but I tend to forget and remember about halfway through the month

travellering
travellering Dork
10/18/24 8:18 p.m.

There's a subreddit for writing prompts if you come up short on ideas...

A lot of them are clearly written by people who can't write themselves, but there is a little bit of wheat amongst the chaff,

https://www.reddit.com/r/WritingPrompts/

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ltL3eXzAKjVjrw6hDZ974hZXefEQFhEQ5TCscwDBk5eAIHxavm6tOF5TOXFFRkds