oldtin
oldtin Dork
5/21/11 10:51 p.m.

There's something wrong with me - didn't really mean to pick up a project - just didn't have any resistance to it. So here's the new to me e36 - 318ti - m42, obdI, 5sp, lsd. Needs paint and some sorting out. At least it runs. Pretty much anything the PO touched needs to be undone. Thump in the rear on launch and throwing a knock sensor code. Raspy Pepzone muffler. I'm thinking front differential bolt or center bearing and vacuum leak. Input from e36 experts wanted.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
5/22/11 8:40 p.m.

Awesome! Do you mind me asking how much?

jefmed2
jefmed2 New Reader
5/22/11 9:21 p.m.

check all rubber hoses for cracks or leaks, very common.If all are ok may be crankcase vent valve (cvv)., It is the plastic round thing near throttle, firewall side.The ti would be a fun car with a 5.0 swap....just saying

oldtin
oldtin Dork
5/22/11 9:34 p.m.
mtn wrote: Awesome! Do you mind me asking how much?

$1,500. Best part was Mrs. Oldtin suggesting I keep an eye out for a spare engine since this one has a lot of miles.

Seems like there's a fuel smell going on - IIRC there's a tree branch-looking supply to the injectors that could be the culprit.

Swapped out rear stereo speakers today and all new tail light bulbs - just to feel a little productive since one was blown. Supposed to be a 318i at the pick n pull. I may swing by for a knock sensor and corner light.

mrhappy
mrhappy Reader
5/22/11 9:57 p.m.

I have an m42 if you wanna come down here and pick it up.

Entropyman
Entropyman GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/23/11 9:19 a.m.

I would say the launch clunk was rear control arm bushings. A good project is to pull the upper and lower intakes and replace all the vacuum and coolant hoses underneath. Also, while the intakes are off, replace the plastic coolant fitting that come out of the block near the oil filter housing and the one that comes out at the back of the cylinder head near the fire wall. Replace the plastic fittings with genuine BMW parts. Some of the aftermarket suppliers are producing crap. There is a pretty thorough write up on 318ti.org in the "knowledge base" section. As with all E36s a complete examination of the cooling system is a must.

Entropyman
Entropyman GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/23/11 9:22 a.m.

Oh and great score, I love my Ti!

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
5/23/11 9:30 a.m.

Launch clunk:
- Check the rear shock mounts
- diff front bolts and bushing
- center support bearing

Fuel smell:
Tank is under the rear seat. Pull off the covers and check for dry rotted hoses while you are R&Ring the rest of the rubber bits under the hood.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero HalfDork
5/23/11 10:16 a.m.

AWESOME SCORE!!

Not to repeat or anything. . .but they fit 302 + T-5 very well

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XHWSk1x97d3MNdCGqufbMYwwhjKFZ1ND3efct5xlqIkajcVUdzJll7BFE2iwxJIs