1 2 3
Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition HalfDork
2/3/14 6:32 p.m.
DirtyBird222 wrote: My take is if you are going to do something stupid like this....do it somewhere a whole lot of people aren't. Like behind a FedEx Kinko's is suburbia on a Thursday night with some VHT on fire. Or out in the woods with some friends. Not at a huge gathering with lots of people holding smart phones videoing the wrong way.

Um, except the reason these folks are doing this is BECAUSE there is a crowd. That's the nature of asshatery-- it abhors a vacuum.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance UltraDork
2/3/14 7:02 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
Duke wrote: Isn't this crap kind of like heroin (re: Phillip Seymour Hoffman thread)? Don't car show burnouts pretty much **without fail** lead to somebody looking like a tool on Youtube?
IMO, unless you're heating your tires before a drag run, *any* burnout makes you look like a tool.

+1

My shop asks the techs to come out to the Atlanta C&C since its one exit up from the shop. Sure there are nice cars there but I really just don't care about going to car meets because of the cartards like this guy in the video. Young, old, it doesn't matter(usually young though), cartards are at every meet.

Well that and I don't want to wake up before the sun is up on my only day off.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
2/3/14 8:53 p.m.

Gosh, Mustang drivers are such douchebags.

Oh, E36 M3. Oops.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
2/3/14 8:57 p.m.
Sky_Render wrote: Gosh, Mustang drivers are such douchebags. Oh, E36 M3. Oops.

Yeah buncha douche..... um, no, wait, um I completely disagree with you

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/4/14 6:05 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: I don't care what anyone says, that was impressive...the way he got that car completely out of control with little to no loss of traction!

If you're in control... you ain't in control.

whenry
whenry HalfDork
2/4/14 7:10 a.m.

Darwin's theory can help thin some of this out if given enough time but in the meantime, remember that the ability to qualify for a loan does not guarantee driving ability. The mustang driver clearly ran out of talent before he left the parking lot.

Powar
Powar SuperDork
2/4/14 7:54 a.m.

I watched a Cobra kit car get crashed hard over a curb and through a fence last year leaving one of our Cars and Coffee events. It was heartbreaking. It was stupid. It was heartbreakingly stupid.

Storz
Storz Dork
2/4/14 11:20 a.m.

I think they need to designate a small portion of the "exit" road at these sites the "stab it in first gear" spot. Give people 30 yards or so to hammer it in first, no burnouts, and that will eliminate people being stupid elsewhere.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/4/14 11:29 a.m.

In reply to Storz:

I like it! I'm a little worried that stupidity, like life, finds a way... But having a designated spot for goosing it seems like it could at least cut down on the mayhem. Wide area, not just as people are turning out of a driveway... How many of these are due to attempted burnouts with the wheel still turned, or crowned road? And when I say "due to" I mean that if it had been flat, straight, and wide, even these folks might not have parked extra hard; I'm not suggesting the root cause is anything other than boneheadedness.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/4/14 8:25 p.m.

The real solution is to have Cars and Coffee at an autocross event.

Oh, wait. Somebody might chip their paint or something. Nevermind.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
2/4/14 8:44 p.m.

My $.02 is that it's E36 M3 like this that Cars and Coffee events are getting shut down and not all of them are starting back up because there is no place to have them.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/4/14 8:51 p.m.

The C and C crowd around here all seem to have their heads up their Ferraried asses so, meh.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance UltraDork
2/4/14 9:31 p.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: Oh, wait. Somebody might chip their paint or something. Nevermind.

I heard fellow track day'r once say, "There are waxers and there are racers, I'm a racer".

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
2/4/14 10:09 p.m.
Anti-stance wrote:
Brett_Murphy wrote: Oh, wait. Somebody might chip their paint or something. Nevermind.
I heard fellow track day'r once say, "There are waxers and there are racers, I'm a racer".

I had a friend with a show-quality 12-second turbo Neon that he used to dragrace regularly. More than once I heard him say, "Next time, I'm building one that I won't be afraid to set the toolbox down on the roof."

whenry
whenry HalfDork
2/5/14 7:20 a.m.

I was asked to help organize a car event that would include autocross and car show elements for a United Way fund raiser. It took several meetings and one event before the UW types began to understand that there were significant differences between the two car events.
btw we always told new racers to take out the BFH and hit the fender of the newly built race car so that they would get over the fear of damaging the car. Also I always have referred to the car show crowd as "gold chainers" since the car is really just a piece of jewelry to them.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
2/5/14 7:24 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote: The C and C crowd around here all seem to have their heads up their Ferraried asses so, meh.

My good buddy setup our local group, Caffeine and Gasoline, and the VAST majority of the exotics owners are cool guys. They will sit and chat about their cars, let you sit in them, etc.

The only place they suck is 1-2 a year my buddy will setup a drive through some scenic roads. Leaving Tulsa, on the 35-40 or so miles of highway to get to the first one, they go insane, running 150+ type behavior.

I went on the drive with them precisely one time.

JKleiner
JKleiner Reader
2/5/14 7:41 a.m.
Anti-stance wrote:

My plate:

Toyman01
2/5/14 7:54 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac:

The guys around here don't want my BMW to show up because it needs a paint job.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
2/5/14 8:22 a.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: The real solution is to have Cars and Coffee at an autocross event. Oh, wait. Somebody might chip their paint or something. Nevermind.

Nope, two different things to me. Sometimes I want to go and autocross. Great I can do that. Sometimes I want to go and look at some cool cars, grab a coffee and bagel then head home by 10:00 am to spend time with the family and work on the house/yard/

Toyman01 wrote: The C and C crowd around here all seem to have their heads up their Ferraried asses so, meh.

Why the hate? I love the chance to look at Ferrari's and other exotics, just as much as checking out an outlaw 356 or modded bug eye. A home built 7 clone etc etc. I'm a car enthusiast, not a hater of people who have more money than me.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
2/5/14 8:24 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote: In reply to z31maniac: The guys around here don't want my BMW to show up because it needs a paint job.

Sorry the guys around you are shiny happy people. Are C&G brings out everything from my ratty Miata track rat, to Lambo's, to classic 356s and most of them are cool guys.

Lancer007
Lancer007 Reader
2/5/14 8:32 a.m.

He never drives it, he just sits around rubbing it with a diaper.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
2/5/14 8:36 a.m.
Knurled wrote:
Duke wrote: Isn't this crap kind of like heroin (re: Phillip Seymour Hoffman thread)? Don't car show burnouts pretty much **without fail** lead to somebody looking like a tool on Youtube?
IMO, unless you're heating your tires before a drag run, *any* burnout makes you look like a tool.

+1

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
2/5/14 8:40 a.m.

I don't always do burnouts.

But when I do, I do them to fulfill the wishes of my inner child and not to impress other people.

Toyman01
2/5/14 9:03 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
Why the hate? I love the chance to look at Ferrari's and other exotics, just as much as checking out an outlaw 356 or modded bug eye. A home built 7 clone etc etc. I'm a car enthusiast, not a hater of people who have more money than me.

I don't hang out with shiny happy people no matter what they drive. Money doesn't even enter into the equation.

Drives rusted out hulk but good guy, I'll hang.

Drives F1 car but shiny happy person, he can go berkeley himself.

Toyman01
2/5/14 9:31 a.m.
z31maniac wrote:
Toyman01 wrote: In reply to z31maniac: The guys around here don't want my BMW to show up because it needs a paint job.
Sorry the guys around you are shiny happy people. Are C&G brings out everything from my ratty Miata track rat, to Lambo's, to classic 356s and most of them are cool guys.

That's the way the Bessinger's show and the O'Riley's show is. They happen once a month. Mostly classic and hot rod guys, but a really great group of people. I just go to them instead.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Z6jErB5N25yfoJSgWJKCI8Lqj73g525bYTCyX40VqpYrkCPCzPI5TGTY6J3ME0aU