1 2
JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
9/25/24 1:19 p.m.

I guess I'm not surprised that I sometimes get locked into my own insular world of tires, but this was driven home really hard when I was looking for some new rubber for my mom's Sienna.

Man there are some wild labels out there. I assume these are all just folks dropshipping tires from a plant they paid to stamp them with their name, but  buying tirs as a normal, non-200tw weirdo is probably more confusing than ever now.

I mean, just imagine deciding between the Prinx HiCITY, the Tire Waterfall Eco Dynamic and the Forceum Heptagon. Honestly I need to know more about the Heptagon. Someone from the Forceum media relations department call me immediately.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UberDork
9/25/24 1:20 p.m.

Pfft. I know a genuine Panaphonics when I see it. And look, there's  Magnetbox and Sorny! : r/TheSimpsons

JG Pasterjak
9/25/24 1:32 p.m.
93gsxturbo said:

Pfft. I know a genuine Panaphonics when I see it. And look, there's  Magnetbox and Sorny! : r/TheSimpsons

It's a genuine Sorny

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/25/24 1:35 p.m.

When will see Amazon Basics tires? Or do we already have those? Or how about KAPIOJAS or PMANCW instead?

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/25/24 1:45 p.m.

We need some Hong Norr camandos.

JG Pasterjak
9/25/24 1:45 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

When will see Amazon Basics tires? Or do we already have those? Or how about KAPIOJAS or PMANCW instead?

I dunno but I do know as soon as Haida drops their new Salame line we need to get Andy to test some.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) MegaDork
9/25/24 1:48 p.m.

I recently traded a set of 15" Kosei K1s with an NA Miata owner who was looking to get rid of some 16" Enkei RPF1s, which I could use on my MINI. The Enkeis came with some Ironman IMove GenII tires. I had to Google them as the name was new to me. They are round and black . The wheels are worth about four times what the tires are, seems a bit skewed.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/25/24 1:49 p.m.

in for grm tests the cheapest tires.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) MegaDork
9/25/24 1:50 p.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

Andy needs to find the fastest 225/45/17 tire available for under $99.

Edit: Given the price of the Mucho Macho, change that to $79.

Motojunky
Motojunky Reader
9/25/24 1:52 p.m.

I need two cheap tires to get a car to the point where it is mobile. I was looking the other day and saw these. I am very tempted to buy them just because of the name. 

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
9/25/24 2:06 p.m.

Is Heptagon really the name you want to put on a tire that is supposed to be round?

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/25/24 2:11 p.m.
wawazat said:

Is Heptagon really the name you want to put on a tire that is supposed to be round?

It's a little better than pentagon.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
9/25/24 2:12 p.m.

My father bought some Prinx 10-ply LT tires for his GMT-400 duallie this spring. They were like $80ea. I'm still baffled if it's pronounced "Princks", "Prin-Ex", "Prinz" or "Prince" though.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
9/25/24 2:13 p.m.
wvumtnbkr said:
wawazat said:

It's a little better than pentagon.

Slightly worse than Octagon

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/25/24 2:25 p.m.

I really want to put Hang Over Mudder Truckers on something.

edizzle89
edizzle89 SuperDork
9/25/24 2:44 p.m.

LingLong's walked so all these other tire brands could run

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/25/24 2:48 p.m.
Mndsm said:

in for grm tests the cheapest tires.

Need this so badly. Run the Prius around the FIRM first with the Mucho Macho set and then a set of Hoosiers.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/25/24 3:21 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

You joke, but I bought a pair of Amazon Basics PA speaker stands.  They were cheap, sturdy, and well made.

How are PA stands considered a basic necessity in any way?

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/25/24 3:25 p.m.

I had a Subaru Legacy come on a set of 300~ tw chinese summer tires, can't remember the brand/name but those things gripped. However they did not come with the corresponding stiff sidewall to support that grip so needed all the pressure to keep the sidewalls off the road lol.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
9/25/24 3:33 p.m.

I "collect" off-brand tire names. I really do live for that. 

Some favorites:

The Big O Bigfoot RS

Eliminator Super Prowler

Forceum M/T08

Akuret

Blacklion

How ya doin, Horace

And the one that started it all for me: the Cornell Deluxe Classic LX whitewall. 

Always on the lookout! 

JG Pasterjak
9/25/24 3:34 p.m.
Duke said:
David S. Wallens said:

You joke, but I bought a pair of Amazon Basics PA speaker stands.  They were cheap, sturdy, and well made.

How are PA stands considered a basic necessity in any way?

Go to most any event where we bring our PA and you'll see the same stands

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
9/25/24 3:35 p.m.

I'm all for a good forceum.

I put Ironman IMove GenII tires on one of PW's car we weren't going to have much longer. They were a little noisy but overall, they were fine.

I bought a set of rims a few years ago that had the correct size tires on them, and used them for a few weeks before I installed the new rubber. Antares Ingen, I think. They were surprisingly not bad for a daily.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Publisher
9/25/24 3:41 p.m.

Idk, pretty much every time we try cheap off-brand tires, they're so bad in so many ways that we end up throwing them away. Are you sure you want your mom driving around on them, JG?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/25/24 3:52 p.m.

The tires on the OE wheels for the Rio are the Ironman iMove Gen2. THey mostly hold air and are almost round. They are terrible in the rain, terrible in the snow, terrible in the dry, noisey. 

It's almost time for tires on the wife's Seltos, the Hankooks still have plenty of tread at 26k miles but they just aren't good at anything. They're ok in the rain and dry, not great in light snow and ice. For a car we are going to have for another 8 years abd 125k miles I should probably just sack up and put on the michelin crossclimates

aw614
aw614 HalfDork
9/25/24 4:04 p.m.

I was looking for tires for my brother's 02 Civic, its his beater he uses to drive to the gym and any local running 10 miles radius driving. Saw a bunch of no name brand tires in 195/60/15, and saw tirerack had at least some name brand Sumitomos for a decent price that I ended up buying. Not going to buy ironmans, or Sunny, or other offbrand tire 

His main car is  a WRX on DWS06 which I made him buy lol. 

When I was spectating some drifting events during my work trips to Oklahoma, Cosmo Mucho Machos were really popular as beater drift tires as the Kendas were expensive. 

Cosmo tire sponsors the autocross series down in SoFL at Homestead for their "spec tire" series on Mucho Machos!

https://cosmotires.com/motorsports/

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
g5kNOIwxFiqREr2EkXj8WD1A0JzZjuGmxaQUNxh3CXddhSqG8sB001OzOQHcj4VA