1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/25/24 4:13 p.m.
Duke said:
David S. Wallens said:

When will see Amazon Basics tires? Or do we already have those? Or how about KAPIOJAS or PMANCW instead?

You joke, but I bought a pair of Amazon Basics PA speaker stands.  They were cheap, sturdy, and well made.

How are PA stands considered a basic necessity in any way?

I have seen Amazon Basics camera filters. I’ve stuck with the name-brands but am stil curious. One day I’ll grab one. Figure not much to loose. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
9/25/24 4:16 p.m.

We had a guy come in once that had a Tesla Model X lease that was due to go back, and the tires were corded, so he put on the cheapest tires he could find. I wish I had taken a photo because they were the damndest thing. No brand or model name was molded anywhere on the sidewalls and even the tire stickers just had all the specs and details but no brand or model name. Never saw anything like them ever again.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
9/25/24 4:31 p.m.

The tires I run on my competition woods bike are from a Canadian company called Rooster tires, which are also available in the US as WIG racing. 

I've been trying to find out who makes them but had no luck. They're made in China, but pretty darn good. Not Michelins but better than Dunlops, and I can buy a pair for the cost of one name brand tire.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
9/25/24 4:47 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

Idk, pretty much every time we try cheap off-brand tires, they're so bad in so many ways that we end up throwing them away. Are you sure you want your mom driving around on them, JG?

Oh no she'll certainly end up with something from a reputable brand, like Handkook or Michegin.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/25/24 4:53 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:
Duke said:
David S. Wallens said:

When will see Amazon Basics tires? Or do we already have those? Or how about KAPIOJAS or PMANCW instead?

You joke, but I bought a pair of Amazon Basics PA speaker stands.  They were cheap, sturdy, and well made.

How are PA stands considered a basic necessity in any way?

I have seen Amazon Basics camera filters. I’ve stuck with the name-brands but am stil curious. One day I’ll grab one. Figure not much to loose. 

my last trip to Minneapolis, I watched a guy nearly come to blows with his basics suitcase. Sometimes, you just pay the man.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UberDork
9/25/24 5:09 p.m.

One thing that always impresses me about the off-brand tires is their range of sizes.

Need a set of low profile mud terrain tires for 26" rims on your Carolina Squatmobile?  Venom Power has you covered.  BFG?  Toyo?  Falken?  Nope.  Not even Nitto

Need a set of tires for your 30" rims on your donk, box, or bubble?  Lexani, Lionheart, Haida and good ol Venom Power.  Continental or Michelin?  No love at all.  

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/25/24 5:26 p.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

Big O Tires is a fairly popular local-ish brand in the American Southwest.

Pete. (l33t FS)
9/25/24 6:27 p.m.
NickD said:

We had a guy come in once that had a Tesla Model X lease that was due to go back, and the tires were corded, so he put on the cheapest tires he could find. I wish I had taken a photo because they were the damndest thing. No brand or model name was molded anywhere on the sidewalls and even the tire stickers just had all the specs and details but no brand or model name. Never saw anything like them ever again.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
9/25/24 6:45 p.m.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/25/24 6:55 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

I bet those stick pretty well. 

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/25/24 7:19 p.m.
wvumtnbkr said:
wawazat said:

Is Heptagon really the name you want to put on a tire that is supposed to be round?

It's a little better than pentagon.

and much better than a rhombus

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/25/24 7:38 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
NickD said:

“Put it on a plate, son. You’ll enjoy it more.”

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/25/24 8:44 p.m.

My civic came with a new set of Ironman tires when I bought it a couple of years ago. 
They were okay if you didn't expect any decent traction, until there was any moisture on the pavement. Terrible in the wet. 
One advantage of rock hard tires, I got 33 MPG from three successive tanks running between 80 and 90 MPH. 
By the second week I had a set of Conti ECS2. I don't mind driving a cheap car, but I want good tires and brakes. I might have to compromise a bit though, I'm about to buy a geo prism for a backup car. 

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
9/25/24 9:01 p.m.

It took every post in this thread to realize that it was "forceum" and not "forcecum". Quality branding right there, and maybe a missed opportunity for a cult following.

Closest I've had to this stuff was a set of Nexen summer tires that somehow offered all the autocross performance of a highway all season combined with the wet weather performance of a Hoosier r comp. But they held air and covered a lot of miles when I had no money in college.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/25/24 9:05 p.m.

Kirkland Signature Series tires are reet.

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/25/24 9:24 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to Tony Sestito :

Big O Tires is a fairly popular local-ish brand in the American Southwest.

Came here to say that. Apparently they have stores in 24 states. No idea who actually makes their tires, though!

Man, this brave new world of run-and-gun branding and off-brand sketchiness makes me rethink my contempt of the Atlas stuff sold at the Chevron station I worked at in high school. It was private label, sure, but at least the buyer knew who we were and could come back if they had a problem.

Pete. (l33t FS)
9/26/24 12:18 a.m.

In reply to DarkMonohue :

Look for, oh, Arctic Claw tires. There are two or three different tread patterns.  You will find that model sold under quite a few names.

There is a plant in, I think, Louisiana, that makes them, and they will stick any manufacturer name you want on them.  They're remarkably good tires.

If this helps fill in the blanks.  I expect that the Far East tires are similar.

Hoppps
Hoppps Reader
9/26/24 8:19 a.m.

Too soon? Lol

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
9/26/24 8:39 a.m.

Here's another one: Triangle Tires. 

I don't know about you guys, but those look more like circles to me. 

I'm here all week! 

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/26/24 8:59 a.m.

The Ironman imove gen 3 are the tire to have in the Florida Crown Vic circle track racing world.  

triumph7
triumph7 Dork
9/26/24 9:21 a.m.

I just need a super cheap slick that will fit an F600............

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/26/24 9:46 a.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

My civic came with a new set of Ironman tires when I bought it a couple of years ago. 
They were okay if you didn't expect any decent traction, until there was any moisture on the pavement. Terrible in the wet. 
One advantage of rock hard tires, I got 33 MPG from three successive tanks running between 80 and 90 MPH. 
By the second week I had a set of Conti ECS2. I don't mind driving a cheap car, but I want good tires and brakes. I might have to compromise a bit though, I'm about to buy a geo prism for a backup car. 

Terrible in the wet. Fine in New Mexico, less so in....Florida.

Old_Town
Old_Town Reader
9/26/24 2:06 p.m.

My Passat came with Giti tires which I heard of through racing, but definitely not completely mainstream at least here in the US on passenger cars. 

When I looked up their site, they were much bigger then I realized and had a large plant in South Carolina. Learn something new every day...  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cHGLcJyRcwETZyF1ZFNd4w8nGajSLnKYMr7bc6yRTqq8tKo2moH9TxmDceLGf9rs