1 2 3 4
Beer Baron
Beer Baron PowerDork
8/8/12 11:28 a.m.
spitfirebill wrote: To me the problem is your dad is saying "I don't give a rat's ass about you". I am very sorry for that.

Talking in person, it turned out to be more like, "My life is screwed up, and I need this money to take care of myself for the next 30 years because I don't have any money of my own and don't think I'll ever be able to make any more. That's more important than you guys getting anything."

I think that's a bit b.s. He could get a job if he had less pride or stubbornness, but he's a big boy and can manage his life how he wants. I'm still getting a healthy chunk of change. However, if he's showing my brother and me this little sympathy now, he'd better not come looking for much sympathy from us down the road if he doesn't manage to make all the money he's getting work for him.

dculberson
dculberson Dork
8/8/12 12:58 p.m.
Beer Baron wrote: if he doesn't manage to make all the money he's getting work for him.

If he's already talking about toys he's going to buy then that "if" isn't needed. Change it to "when." 30 years is a long time and it would be really easy to blow through even $2mm with toys like airplanes.

Ian F
Ian F UberDork
8/8/12 1:08 p.m.
Beer Baron wrote: However, if he's showing my brother and me this little sympathy now, he'd better not come looking for much sympathy from us down the road if he doesn't manage to make all the money he's getting work for him.

Ugh... sounds like my father. Unfortunately, I have nothing useful to add since I haven't been in contact with my father for over 2 years after he asked me for money a few too many times after pissing away a free house and a small inheritance from my grandmother, a good job and a loving wife. Whenever I start feeling sympathy towards him, I just have to remember what he did to her.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UltraDork
8/8/12 1:47 p.m.
Beer Baron wrote:
spitfirebill wrote: To me the problem is your dad is saying "I don't give a rat's ass about you".
Talking in person, it turned out to be more like, "My life is screwed up, and I need this money to take care of myself for the next 30 years because I don't have any money of my own and don't think I'll ever be able to make any more. That's more important than you guys getting anything."

Same thing.

Jarod
Jarod GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/8/12 7:39 p.m.

These farms wouldn't be in Gridley or Biggs area would they? I'm originally from Oroville and saw you were from Sacramento.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron PowerDork
8/8/12 8:05 p.m.
Jarod wrote: These farms wouldn't be in Gridley or Biggs area would they? I'm originally from Oroville and saw you were from Sacramento.

No. They are in Washington and Canada. The property that doesn't earn money is a bit north of San Diego.

dankspeed
dankspeed Reader
8/8/12 8:48 p.m.

Reading this thread makes me glad my dad wants to have all his assets auctioned off and the money split up between the kids. He does have a sweet '69 camaro I'd like my brother to end up with but at least he can bid on it if he wants to.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/8/12 9:38 p.m.
Beer Baron wrote: However, if he's showing my brother and me this little sympathy now, he'd better not come looking for much sympathy from us down the road if he doesn't manage to make all the money he's getting work for him.

first, let me say that i feel for you and i wish you the best.

second, i believe (from reading many of your posts over the years) that you are a sympathetic man, and you will probably look out for your father in the future even if he does convert his $2M+ into hookers and blow.

third, you should look at this as a business decision, not a family decision, and retain an attorney to at least read through everything and put together a spreadsheet of what you should legally receive. then you'll know how bad your father is horse-berkeleying you, if you care to have that data.

fourth, you are a young man with a bright future, and some wonderful memories of your kick-ass Grandfather, who sounds like he lived a full and adventurous life. Name a beer after him. It should be full, rich, and hoppy.

fifth, do your best to honor your Grandfather with whatever you do receive from his estate.

sixth, we should get together sometime for a beer.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron PowerDork
8/8/12 10:18 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: second, i believe (from reading many of your posts over the years) that you are a sympathetic man, and you will probably look out for your father in the future even if he does convert his $2M+ into hookers and blow.

He will more likely convert it into airplanes, sailboats, and failed business startups.

AngryCorvair wrote: fourth, you are a young man with a bright future, and some wonderful memories of your kick-ass Grandfather, who sounds like he lived a full and adventurous life. Name a beer after him. It should be full, rich, and hoppy.

"Jim's Bitter Ale. A sociable ale that will win you over. But if you try anything, will berkeleying knock you on your ass."

I actually have already designed a beer in honor of my grandmother: "Jackie Jane's Irish Red" a smooth, sophisticated yet subtly strong beer of clear Irish descent. Brewed with the finest noble Perle and Saphir hops.

sixth, we should get together sometime for a beer.

Yes. People have asked, and there are a few things I need to get in order first, but I plan to show up to the challenge in a few years with a couple varied kegs of beer.

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
8/10/12 12:10 a.m.

Airplanes? Won't take long to suck down $2 mil.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron PowerDork
8/10/12 12:15 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: Airplanes? Won't take long to suck down $2 mil.

Yep. This is the major reason my grandparents wanted to be sure my brother and I each got at least a share of their wealth now.

A good friend of mine once dubbed my dad "The Executive Homeless" because he was the only person we ever knew who had his own private airplane, sailboat in the Caribbean... and yet was sharing a bunk bed with his good buddy's teenage son because he didn't have the money to rent an apartment of his own or anything.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/10/12 12:38 a.m.
Beer Baron wrote:
spitfirebill wrote: To me the problem is your dad is saying "I don't give a rat's ass about you". I am very sorry for that.

With that attitude it sounds like he definitely won't be able to make any more money.

scardeal
scardeal Dork
8/10/12 8:47 a.m.

It sounds like your dad is this guy:

Anthony DiNozzo Sr

Beer Baron
Beer Baron PowerDork
8/10/12 11:31 a.m.
EvanB wrote:
Beer Baron wrote:
With that attitude it sounds like he definitely won't be able to make any more money.

I'm wondering if it would be too crass to buy him a copy of this:

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3QyoPIAa2zSOr3O4N2LGxxf2Rd9E2p60PMS6kKZtf515JC1eZQ69DczTqAMGGJMR