Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/7/17 7:45 a.m.

I'm going for a 50s theme in my garage. Mostly inspired by the game Fallout. The cabinet's on building to go above my workbench, I would like to simulate steel cabinets from the forties and fifties. This means rounded corners on the carcass of the cabinet. Purely cosmetic.

I had the thought this morning of getting some proper diameter PVC pipe and cutting it into quarters to make the proper curvature and then attach it to the carcass. This would have the side benefit of hiding under cabinet lights.

Is this idea feasible?

Will latex paint stick to PVC pipe?

Any better simple ways of going about it?

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/7/17 7:48 a.m.

What are you building the cabinets out of? There is quarter round wood (for trimming floors usually) and that would definitely be paintable... Probably easier to fasten to your cabinets too depending on your main substrate.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/7/17 7:57 a.m.

Going to be 3/4 ply. I thought about quarter round, but have yet to find any in a big enough dimension for the curvature i think i want. Wich is in the neighborhood of 2 inches 

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/7/17 8:05 a.m.

Yeah, that's big. 2 inch diameter? PVC should be paintable just fine id think. 

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
11/7/17 8:22 a.m.

Might need to sand it first and use a good primer base coat, but should definitely be paintable. Sounds cool, post pics when done. yes

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/7/17 8:44 a.m.
EastCoastMojo said:

Might need to sand it first and use a good primer base coat, but should definitely be paintable. Sounds cool, post pics when done. yes

Will do. Is a 4 foot high 16 foot long cabinet.  Should be fun to hang.....

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
11/7/17 8:58 a.m.

How are you planning to accurately cut pvc pipe into quarters?  

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/7/17 9:03 a.m.

Bandsaw and a fixture jig

wae
wae Dork
11/7/17 9:08 a.m.

I've painted PVC before with no problem.  Both methods I've used started with a quick scuff with 80 grit and from there I've used either Killz or Gesso as a priming layer before putting on either enamel or Plasti-Dip.  Killz is faster, but several coats of Gesso allows you to get a better texture (really smooth or really not-smooth) while Killz is more middle-of-the-road.

Another option, instead of paint, would be to consider vinyl wrap.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
11/7/17 9:28 a.m.

What about bending plywood to the radius you want? There are a few ways to do it. Multiple thin sheets with panel adhesive between the sheets and clamped to a form cut out of MDF is one way to do it. That's probably the best bet for a 2" radius. The PVC would work and would certainly be strong, though.

Bending plywood on an MDF form:

https://www.wikihow.com/Bend-Plywood

Jumper K Balls
Jumper K Balls PowerDork
11/7/17 9:29 a.m.

Keep a saved craigslist search for "youngstown", "geneva" and "St Cloud" cabinets. Nice sets are getting pricey but full sets from kitchen remodels still pop up for around $100 and sometimes even in the free section. They are the standard 50's americana metal kitchen cabinets. They are modular and will bolt together to make any size or shape you want.

With a coat of paint and a few details you can easily make them look like the old Alemite shop cabinets that demand so much money these days. A piece of 1" ply for a bench top wrapped in stainless would look fantastic!

Seems easier and less expensive than building your own and you get that hollow ring of sheet metal cabinets. 

Jumper K Balls
Jumper K Balls PowerDork
11/7/17 9:51 a.m.

I forgot HomArt cabinets as sold by Sears 

Really common, excellent curves, nicely built and fantastic drawer pulls! I have a few individual pieces and am always looking for more. I WILL redo my kitchen in HomArt someday.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/8/17 5:27 p.m.

In reply to Jumper K Balls :

Pretty sure I have that exact cabinet back in IL. I'll have to check next time I'm up.

Mark57
Mark57 New Reader
11/8/17 6:21 p.m.

In reply to Jumper K Balls : 

I have that exact same cabinet in my shop (no sink) with a plywood top for a workbench and two double door wall cabinets mounted above it. Took them out of one of our old rentals 25 plus years ago.... Guess I should be more careful with them if they actually have some value now !

NEALSMO
NEALSMO UberDork
11/8/17 6:34 p.m.

Ooh, that makes my pants tightsurprise

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/8/17 6:46 p.m.
NEALSMO said:

Ooh, that makes my pants tightsurprise

Almost exactly what i want to build. So, thanks!

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/10/17 3:30 p.m.

Getting latex (or anything) to stick to PVC is tricky.

Suggestions:

- paint it first with some of that all-surface krylon rattle can stuff, then top coat it with latex
- use some purple PVC primer first.  You can also get non-colored primer (Oatey 30805) and tint it to make whatever color you want, but it will always be translucent. Details here
- Buy some MEK to etch it.  PVC primer is basically MEK with something in it to make it a gel for ease of use.

Or take your chances and just sand the crap out of it.  But it WILL come off easily.  I painted some PVC with spray on bedliner (which has MEK in it already) and even with sanding you can scrape it off pretty easily with a fingernail.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1FsAmUWcfS5HwzeCzcdfPSsvrRXWWFrkqQKavAvfpB7IRTUnQdgYdEMI9VgGijJ9