1 2
Scasey
Scasey New Reader
12/1/09 9:08 a.m.

This is the official EVO vs STI thread. All aspects may be discussed.

I will open the floor by arguing an STI is more dependable, and more easily daily driven. Mod's a cheap, bolt on, and DIY, and engine management is very easily had. Boxer rumble is also possible among the top 5 best sounding car exhaust tones I've ever heard.

EVO is barren on the inside, the 2 liter puts out mad power, but blows rings, and blows up in general more often than many people would like to think. It attracts undo attention from the ricer community, and they are constantly provoked in traffic.

BEGIN. Hopefully this gets intense, and specific.

Autolex
Autolex HalfDork
12/1/09 9:26 a.m.

miata > sti&evo. /thread

skruffy
skruffy Dork
12/1/09 9:47 a.m.

I've always thought the Subaru was the better looking car. However, since I've never driven either one I can't really pass judgment.

aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
12/1/09 9:57 a.m.

I think I know an EMO that has an STD... does that count?

...hey, it is in Off-topic you know...

Duke
Duke SuperDork
12/1/09 9:59 a.m.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there entire forums dedicated to this topic?

[edit] Sorry, I just get a little cranky when people who aren't staff members use words like "Official".

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
12/1/09 10:57 a.m.

ST205 Celica GT4.

You may all go home now.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
12/1/09 11:17 a.m.

Oh yeah,

An Audi RS2 is fine, too.

TJ
TJ Dork
12/1/09 11:24 a.m.

Why is a discussion about cars off topic exactly?

I think I would not spend the money for an EVO (don't have much faith in Mitsubishi) and think the boxer engine sounds like a tractor.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
12/1/09 11:28 a.m.

Welcome to Grassroots Motorsports forums, by the way. We really don't bite, once you get to know us. You just have to understand this place is different.

RossD
RossD HalfDork
12/1/09 12:08 p.m.

I too thought this topic is not the typical thing encountered here. If you're looking for the fanboys to come and argue, you wont find it here. But...

I like the STI, but have only driven a WRX. I am biased towards boobaru though.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
12/1/09 12:11 p.m.

I drove both an STi and an Evo VIII before buying my 3er. I liked both, but the Evo drove better and was sharper and more fun. If I hadn't gone a different route I probably would have gone Evo.

knb13
knb13 New Reader
12/1/09 2:36 p.m.

ahh... this thread reminds me of the last year of my life. I have been debating on the 2005 EVO vs 2005 STI thread for a while now. While being in the market for both, I have had the pleasure of driving both cars several times.

In my case, I decided on the STI based on personal preference of looks and features. Both are a blast to drive.

The EVO has a bit more wild powerband... the turbo spools up and all hell breaks loose. Yes the interior is a bit sparce but hey it's based on an Econo-Box. Handling is a bit sharper in the EVO too. If peak HP numbers are your only goal, the EVO is your car too.

STI has a bit more grunt down low and is the better choice for a daily driver, IMO. I wanted a daily driver so I decided on the STI. I would spend much more time in the lower RPMs than up at redline so the 2.5 liter torque was appealing to me. I like the interior over the EVO and the ride seemed a bit more comfortable for everyday. Plus, the 2.5 boxer is a nice sound to my ears.

All in all, it's personal preference and not much to debate or start a riot over. It's pretty much personal preference.. i know people who daily drive each. I know people who make good power in each. Both squat and take off great.

Now to find one in the year/color/millage/price I want. ha ha Thats the hardest part of it.

Rufledt
Rufledt Reader
12/1/09 2:52 p.m.

OO this is relavent to me! i'm in the market for one of these. I used to be a thick headed subaru man, but the new STi hatch doesn't do it for me. i miss the sedan. plus i read that any amount of detonation causes the STi's pistons to go all French and surrender, whereas i think the record on evolutionm.net for a stock bottom end 4B11T is 618 whp and multiple dyno pulls before the connecting rod gave (information not cited because i'm lazy, and if i check i might discover i'm wrong anyway). i don't plan on doubling the power of an evo or pushing an STi engine until it bursts, so that brings me back to the looks- i love the looks of the Evo X sedan, i don't love the looks of the STi hatch. and yes i know the Evo has a terribly small trunk. i've seen it. i don't care. plus clarkson said the STi was soft and wallowy, which just won't do.

MitchellC
MitchellC HalfDork
12/1/09 2:56 p.m.

I can't help but be attracted to this:

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Marketing / Club Coordinator
12/1/09 3:24 p.m.

I've driven enough of both to have an opinion, and I'm happier in a Subaru. It's a small difference, but I like what I like.

I will say this- For a car to drive, they're pretty close. For a car to own, pay for, and live with every day? Hands down win for Subaru IMHO.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/1/09 5:43 p.m.

I have driven old Subarus that were rusted out, 200,000 miles on the clock, smelled like ass, and should have been in a crusher...but still started and ran perfectly.

My wife's Mitsu is an '02 and is already worse.

From my experience, Subaru is the more reliable choice. Other than that, I have been a Subaru fan since I saw the first blue/gold 555 car blast down a gravel road so that is what I would gravitate towards.

Will
Will Reader
12/1/09 5:50 p.m.

The Evo is sort of boring looking, but to me every STI except the 2004 style is downright ugly.

SCCA autocrossing has shown the STI to be pretty sweet in STU while the Evo seems to be better once you get to SM. Not sure on the why.

I actually have driven the Evo 8, MR and RS and a 2004-ish Subaru in anger. The Evo 8 RS is one of those cars I really like but wouldn't want to actually own. Were I to actually spend money on one I'd take the Subie hands down.

mndsm
mndsm Reader
12/1/09 6:07 p.m.

Subaru makes this-

Mitsu does not. Not to say that the Evo is a bad car, because the 4g63 is the SBC of the import world. Open the hood and jiggle a plug wire and you get 10whp. Come to think of it..... that cylinder WAS misfiring..... eh whatever. I own a Mazda.

mndsm
mndsm Reader
12/1/09 7:57 p.m.

Also, I refuse to recognize the existence of the 4b11.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Reader
12/1/09 8:11 p.m.

There is a reason the Mitsu always wins EVO/STI shootouts in the performance categories. Its a better car.

njansenv
njansenv Reader
12/1/09 9:01 p.m.

When it isn't being serviced.

knb13
knb13 New Reader
12/2/09 8:58 a.m.
93gsxturbo wrote: There is a reason the Mitsu always wins EVO/STI shootouts in the performance categories. Its a better car.

when looking just at numbers/figures/times... yes the EVO has the edge.

When you throw those out the window and drive the cars... look at ergonomics... could you live with this car everyday... then the STI always seems to pull ahead.

Scott Lear
Scott Lear Club Editor
12/2/09 9:26 a.m.

Spent some time in both, and I find myself more attracted to the Evo. It has supernatural handling on asphalt, the Subie just feels sloppier (stock versus stock). Both are a hoot to drive, however. As for reliability, I don't think either one is particularly better than the other, I've actually witnessed more Subaru failures firsthand. If I were a data point of one, the Evo would look a lot more reliable.

Naturally, we can all agree that both the Subaru and the Evo are completely inferior compared to any Type R product.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Marketing / Club Coordinator
12/2/09 10:03 a.m.

In reply to Scott Lear:

Torque-hater!

Matt B
Matt B Reader
12/2/09 10:21 a.m.

Something to consider if you plan on actually competing with the car (unless company policies have changed):

Subaru is VERY friendly to the autocross community. They openly endorse using their cars in such a way.

Last I heard, Mistu will void your warranty if they find out you've been autocrossing the car. Maybe not every stealership, but I've heard of it happening. For that reason alone I'll never buy the Evo, even though I'm more attracted to it's handling traits. Maybe when their used and the warranty isn't an issue. The AWD system on the Evo is much more sophisticated. However, I have a hard time getting over the rear end styling. Very blase.

If I'm wrong about the warranty issues and things have changed, please feel free to correct me.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yuXHszb5zREKyKzy6Fh4tcgQO00dEiobWLGhs8SzED29TKyETBhCY0kumib93gjp