1 2
codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/31/13 2:38 a.m.
drsmooth wrote: EDIT*** I forgot about this, most printers have memory that can be recovered. If you are getting rid of a printer, DESTROY IT!! Especially if you print off statements on it.

There are printers with persistent storage in them, but they're the multi-thousand dollar ones sold for enterprise use. $100 consumer inkjets don't have storage.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/31/13 7:42 p.m.
Rusted_Busted_Spit wrote: The best part about a dead HD is the strong magnets inside. I just used one to fish out a socket that I dropped into the engine bay of a car.

Some ABS speed sensors, too. Small and super-powerful.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
7/31/13 10:15 p.m.

My uncle goes way overkill. He will take apart every piece of the computer and individually melt it with a blow torch. HD, ram, cpu, mobo, every little part.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/3/13 10:12 a.m.
Knurled wrote:
Rusted_Busted_Spit wrote: The best part about a dead HD is the strong magnets inside. I just used one to fish out a socket that I dropped into the engine bay of a car.
Some ABS speed sensors, too. Small and super-powerful.

I did not know that, thanks.

Mitchell
Mitchell SuperDork
8/3/13 1:43 p.m.

In reply to neon4891:

What's worse, the threat of data theft, or the fumes created while melting computer components?

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UltraDork
8/3/13 5:57 p.m.

On a semi related note I just found an old Panasonic Toughbook CF 47 out in my storage. Pentium 2 baby.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qfhnkaIfDo1S4YKTzfJ9eJD1WG2L9oWoXafKndhZfgR9SWFUp3DydtKPQESNcWuM