1 2 3
4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
5/13/10 7:32 a.m.
grimmelshanks wrote: i have a thing for vintage bicycles. currently i only have the one nishiki, but im always in the look out for schwinns and stuff like that. i would like to build something like a clock

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/bik/1737460144.html
http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/bik/1700237465.html

zomby woof
zomby woof HalfDork
5/13/10 7:41 a.m.
Lesley wrote: But my most obsessive hobby is vintage sunglasses - currently at about 40 pairs: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=135019&id=515956307&l=b6ae777509

That's a cool hobby.

I used to collect vintage stereo equipment, and old hand tools, but I have a bad habit of getting carried away, so I don't collect anything anymore.

81gtv6
81gtv6 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/13/10 8:24 a.m.

Military history books mostly. I also like pens, watches and old tools. I also have about 5000 HO scale military stuff, my dad and I even came up with rules and made a sand table a long time ago.

Whenever I find any of the old Avalon Hill bookcase games I try to get them, though no one will play any more. It is not really a collection but I still have all of my old D&D stuff in a trunk in the basement.

Autolex
Autolex HalfDork
5/13/10 8:41 a.m.

Guns. :)

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette HalfDork
5/13/10 8:57 a.m.

I have a bunch of old oil cans

WilD
WilD Reader
5/13/10 9:41 a.m.

I like old stuff and have a few small collections of various things. I never sell or discard books, so I have quite a few. I was actively collecting vintage paintball markers for the last few years but have been trying to scale it back and sell off some of the more valuable pieces to fund other crap. I know vintage paintball markers seems odd, but from the 1980s through the mid 90s there were a lot of rather interesting hand built custom and low production models made in the USA (and some in other places). Some are quite rare and very cool.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
5/13/10 9:59 a.m.

Talk about old.. for many years, I was into medieval recreation, and learned various armor-making techniques. I wonder if I'm the only one on this board who knits chain maille.

grimmelshanks
grimmelshanks Reader
5/13/10 10:04 a.m.

those krates from concinnatti were BEAUTY but 850 seems a little much haha

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
5/13/10 10:26 a.m.

My only other hobby is X-box. My current addiction is Borderlands...

96DXCivic
96DXCivic Dork
5/13/10 10:48 a.m.
maroon92 wrote: My only other hobby is X-box. My current addiction is Borderlands...

My current addiction is Left 4 Dead 2.

Oh and I collect alcohol.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Reader
5/13/10 10:56 a.m.
rebelgtp wrote:
M2Pilot wrote: Collecting Native American artifacts is my cheap other hobby. They're pretty old too.
I certainly hope that you aren't digging these up or anything and that you are very careful with who you buy from as digging them up (or pulling from cave etc) will get you in some hot water with the Feds. Just a word of warning.

Good advice. I only surface hunt on privatge land & as tempting as purchasing artifacts is, I've never bought one.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet New Reader
5/13/10 11:47 a.m.

I collect die cast cars and video games. I am much more into the video game collecting though. I have stuff dating back to the Atari 2600-era all the way to the present, and everything in between. I have some rarities, like the Vectrex (a vector graphics console, which I found in the back seat of a 1965 Rambler at a junkyard one day!!!), and I even have a Galaga cocktail cabinet (aka sit-down) arcade game. It needs a resto, and I'm at a crossroads with it, because it's in a Galaxian cab, so I'm not sure if I should restore it to stock specs or keep it the way it is now.

mrwillie
mrwillie Reader
5/13/10 12:17 p.m.

I used to collect comic books, but haven't done much since college. Mostly Marvel and some DC. Even got a few Mad Magazines stuck in there somewhere.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp Dork
5/13/10 12:18 p.m.
M2Pilot wrote: Good advice. I only surface hunt on privatge land & as tempting as purchasing artifacts is, I've never bought one.

Some states can even be picky about collecting on private land so if you are in one that allows it you are lucky. One thing I would suggest is if you aren't already find some way to mark and document where you are finding these pieces and possibly even take photos of orientation etc. You never know when something you find could be a piece to an important find.

The information could also be a good way to help you if there ever was an issue with the feds being able to show documentation to where the artifacts were found.

Oh and to add to my "collection" list I have recently started buying up Hot Wheels that are old muscle cars and the like.

f86sabjf
f86sabjf Reader
5/13/10 12:41 p.m.

hmmm currently pocket watches and salt and pepper shakers seem to be my thing.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/13/10 1:57 p.m.
96DXCivic wrote: My current addiction is Left 4 Dead 2. Oh and I collect alcohol.

I like to collect alcohol too but for some reason I always misplace it and am just left with empty bottles.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
5/13/10 2:09 p.m.

Home stereo.... 2-channel is my current money pit. You think cars are expensive? Ugh.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
5/14/10 12:21 a.m.
rebelgtp wrote:
M2Pilot wrote: Good advice. I only surface hunt on privatge land & as tempting as purchasing artifacts is, I've never bought one.
Some states can even be picky about collecting on private land so if you are in one that allows it you are lucky. One thing I would suggest is if you aren't already find some way to mark and document where you are finding these pieces and possibly even take photos of orientation etc. You never know when something you find could be a piece to an important find. The information could also be a good way to help you if there ever was an issue with the feds being able to show documentation to where the artifacts were found.

x2. I asked my mom (retired archeologist) about this kind of thing, and she said that since everything's underground anyway, finding artifacts in previously "unknown" areas can often lead to new finds. "After all, the Dead Sea Scrolls were found by a goat-hearder trying to track down a stray..", she said.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
5/14/10 1:05 a.m.

Since I live about a mile from the Ocmulgee (Indian Mounds) National Park, it's not uncommon to turn up arrowheads and broken pottery in the back yard while tilling, digging a trench, etc. I used to colllect them, but once I realized how common they were around here, I just take them to the Park Rangers, where they document them, then throw them in a huge box of similar finds.

It's a Mississippian thing, or a Creek thing.. depending on how deep it was ..

ep3_lol
ep3_lol New Reader
5/14/10 1:32 a.m.

Die-cast cars, kinda car related: http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b335/WoodElfArcher20/Die-Cast/

I also try to collect CDs and music (no downloading, I've gotta buy a physical disk), but I'm so picky about what I listen to that that collection grows rather slowly.

924guy
924guy Dork
5/14/10 6:39 a.m.
WilD wrote: I like old stuff and have a few small collections of various things. I never sell or discard books, so I have quite a few. I was actively collecting vintage paintball markers for the last few years but have been trying to scale it back and sell off some of the more valuable pieces to fund other crap. I know vintage paintball markers seems odd, but from the 1980s through the mid 90s there were a lot of rather interesting hand built custom and low production models made in the USA (and some in other places). Some are quite rare and very cool.

Ive got about 50 paintball guns, most of which are in operating order, some rare, some not. nelspot 007's, splatmasters, spitfires, vm-68s, and on and on... mostly pumps. i still regret selling my 1st edition phantom, and my Vector! My Line Si Skirmish SI (with all options) is on display in a museum, i bought it almost new and used it competitively in the early 90's.

I also collect toy cars, ive got hundreds, many still in the original box/package. And ive got several boxes full of HO and N scale trains from the 70's, and a chest full of original star wars toys, none are mint though, just keep sakes for the most part. I figure maybe theyll be worth a few bucks when i retire and pay for a fishing trip or something ;)

davidjs
davidjs Reader
5/14/10 6:55 a.m.

Fountain pens... mostly vintage, but I have a few new ones as well...

(There are just the inked ones that were on my desk)...

So if you ever come across one cleaning out old garages, let me know!

Jay
Jay Dork
5/14/10 7:21 a.m.

Wow, I think I'm the only one here who doesn't "collect" anything. I used to do flags (national, state/provincial, city, whatever) from places I've been to; I liked to get weathered ones that had been flown on a flagpole. I don't do that so much anymore since most of them are associated with governments and nationalism, which I don't like. But they are colourful and make interesting decorations...

I had a lot of vintage computer/video game stuff too but some of it got destroyed in a flood and I never bothered to replace it. I hardly played the things in the last few years.

As for my non-collecting, non-car hobbies... Well, I used to make electronic music, I used to draw, I used to read a lot of novels, I used to play games, I used to do this and that... I gave up a lot of the things I enjoyed doing during my last few years of university and have had no real drive to pick them up again, despite that I want to intellectually. Sometimes I worry about that. :( I still enjoy the car stuff (although I don't get my hands dirty as much) and I still enjoy cooking, which I've actually gotten quite good at, as well as beer, wine & whiskey but I'm too frugal to be any kind of connesseur.

Sorry for the rambling and somewhat-melancholy post. Maybe it's the weather...

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Reader
5/14/10 9:00 a.m.

Oh, I almost forgot... I'm a musician too. I play drums, bass, and guitar, and have a crap ton of gear. I used to play in a band from 2000-06, but since I started working at my current cubicle farm, I haven't had much time to play in a band. Someday, I want to start a brutally awesome metal band. All I know is the name has to have the word Wolf in there somewhere, like PowerWolf, or MetalWolf, or something like that. It will be epic!

I've been on a Iron Maiden kick lately, and I'm trying to learn all their good stuff on the bass. Steve Harris is a goddamn machine!!!!

WilD
WilD Reader
5/14/10 9:15 a.m.
924guy wrote:
WilD wrote: I like old stuff and have a few small collections of various things. I never sell or discard books, so I have quite a few. I was actively collecting vintage paintball markers for the last few years but have been trying to scale it back and sell off some of the more valuable pieces to fund other crap. I know vintage paintball markers seems odd, but from the 1980s through the mid 90s there were a lot of rather interesting hand built custom and low production models made in the USA (and some in other places). Some are quite rare and very cool.
Ive got about 50 paintball guns, most of which are in operating order, some rare, some not. nelspot 007's, splatmasters, spitfires, vm-68s, and on and on... mostly pumps. i still regret selling my 1st edition phantom, and my Vector! My Line Si Skirmish SI (with all options) is on display in a museum, i bought it almost new and used it competitively in the early 90's.

I don't have quite as many as you, I think I was up to about 30. I recently sold most of the really valuable ones (Palmer Nasty Hurricane, RTP Viper, RTP Viper Rifle) so I can buy myself a sports car (who'd have guessed? ) or motorcycle this summer. I came to the realization that I'd rather have a Porsche 944 than those three paintball markers...

P.S. If you are into vintage paintball, you should check out www.mcarterbrown.com if you aren't already a member.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
b6Y7YTNyVfX1l2MvowSC5czLyiJBmDm9osnr1FYb0TI9RhtBqITeyOS5U4Kwv7x5