1 2 3
RossD
RossD Dork
5/14/10 10:15 a.m.

I dont really collect anything but I do play the guitar, one like this one: (and yes its an original issue.)

I like old things both mechanical and electrical. I like old books and pictures but thats mostly stuff with family history attached to it. Oh and video games.

Since I sometimes do work at power plants at campuses, I'm currently looking for a centrifugal govener like this one: (Balls to the walls!)

ep3_lol
ep3_lol New Reader
5/14/10 10:27 a.m.
SilverFleet wrote: I've been on a Iron Maiden kick lately, and I'm trying to learn all their good stuff on the bass. Steve Harris is a goddamn machine!!!!

You should give Between the Buried and Me a listen, Dan Briggs is amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jiclPmM0RM

But I'm quite partial to the modern side of progressive metal.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/14/10 10:59 a.m.
ep3_lol wrote: But I'm quite partial to the modern side of progressive metal.

Examples??? I'm a long-time prog fan, and old-school metal fan. I really like Protest the Hero, but I don't have much exposure to newer prog-metal.

ep3_lol
ep3_lol New Reader
5/14/10 11:16 a.m.

Opeth, Between the Buried and Me, and Dillinger Escape Plan are my favorite bands right now. I used to be big into Dream Theater, but their new stuff has been more of a musical wank fest rather than good music. I also listen to a lot of iwrestledabearonce. That's not all technically progressive I suppose, but I tend to like the music that's more art-driven and complicated. I don't care much for the simple head-banging stuff.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
5/14/10 11:38 a.m.
96DXCivic wrote:
maroon92 wrote: My only other hobby is X-box. My current addiction is Borderlands...
My current addiction is Left 4 Dead 2. Oh and I collect alcohol.

I was addicted to L4D2 for a long time. I am avoiding downloading the DLC, even though I have plenty of Microsoft Points, because I dont wan't to lose all of my afternoons from now until infinity.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Reader
5/14/10 3:11 p.m.
ep3_lol wrote: Opeth, Between the Buried and Me, and Dillinger Escape Plan are my favorite bands right now. I used to be big into Dream Theater, but their new stuff has been more of a musical wank fest rather than good music. I also listen to a lot of iwrestledabearonce. That's not all technically progressive I suppose, but I tend to like the music that's more art-driven and complicated. I don't care much for the simple head-banging stuff.

LOVE Opeth, like Between The Buried and Me, and I cannot get into Dillinger Escape plan, no matter how hard I try. I saw Iwrestledabearonce at the New England Metal and Hardcore Fest last year, and the singer came out on stage wearing a giant Furby costume. They were entertaining.

Oh yeah, another hobby is listening to metal. I like metal.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/14/10 4:37 p.m.

I race and collect slotcars...
Yep, that old hobby is making a comeback. Again... I really didn't intend to collect them. Just sort of happened.

barnca
barnca Reader
5/14/10 4:58 p.m.

the oddest thing i have is an allen shepard highway sign from 93 in derry nh. from his mercury 7 flight.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
5/14/10 6:17 p.m.

I have a garage full of 1960s and 1970s Suzuki motorcycles, unfortunately most of them are not in running condition at the moment - I've found that with old vehicles the more of them you have, the less time you spend with each one, until eventually you do nothing with all of them.

The most insidious collection is old car magazines; I have tons of them sitting around in boxes, and probably 10% of them are worth keeping. Otherwise I have a lot of old stuff, but not enough of any one thing to amount to a collection - old radios, old tools, 1960s AMT models, various old toys. I've played the trombone for more than 40 years, and spent most of my adult life playing in various amateur concert bands and orchestras, but I kind of burned out on it a while back and have been on hiatus. One of these days I'll dig it out of the closet and get back into it.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
5/14/10 6:22 p.m.

I think you all know what I collect

grimmelshanks
grimmelshanks Reader
5/14/10 6:56 p.m.

swizzle sticks?

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Reader
5/14/10 8:38 p.m.

I also collect plastic milk jugs & vintage harmonica repair kits.:

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
5/14/10 8:52 p.m.

STD's.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/14/10 11:33 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote: 1960s AMT models

THOSE will be worth keeping!

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
5/15/10 12:04 a.m.
P71 wrote:

Only if you sell them, instead of build them. I actually quit IPMS because one guy got so angry that I was converting Tamiya's 1/12 scale Matra F1 (before the recent re-pop) from Matra to Cosworth (had to shorten the tub a lil' bit). "HOW CAN YOU DO THAT! THEY DON'T MAKE THOSE ANYMORE!" Ugh. I just wanna build the car Jackie Stewart actually drove.

I wish I could find that guy...my next 1/12 project after this will probably be to convert Tamiya's old Safari Rally 240z into a left-hand drive SCCA ITS car for a paddock diorama. I'm thinking late 1980s-early1990s spec. And I've got Tamiya's "street car" Z kit, just to donate the SUs. (insert "mad doctor" laugh here..) "Collectors" hate it when you build stuff..

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/15/10 3:54 a.m.

Corrado, sounds like you've met the Rivet Police.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
5/16/10 12:21 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: Corrado, sounds like you've met the Rivet Police.

Ap, I'm not sure I know what that means...but I'll bet you mean the contest judges. I had a couple of friends that built model airplanes.

Yeah, I don't care as much about "accuracy" these days as much as I care about someone seeing the finished model in my house and saying, "..that's so cool!..".

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
5/16/10 6:03 a.m.

Rivet Police, aka rivet counters. We have those in the model RR world. A new product comes out and some fanatic somewhere will point out that the particular model for the particular railroad does not have the proper number of rivets molded into the side of it for the production date painted on it. Yes, these people do exist.

Kind of why I gave up prototype modeling and just do narrow gauge railroad models...there's a prototype for everything when it comes to NG.

We have collectors in model railroading also. I made a big scene at a show of opening a 'collector box' of 3 box cars and running them on the club layout, destroying their collector value. I LOL'd. My club also keeps a box of rivets on hand to give out to anyone who criticizes our modeling.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/16/10 9:21 a.m.

LOL, I hate those rivet guys! I'm not a "collector", even though I have a lot of rare models. I'm building all my stuff. I already built a stupid-rare mail-order only rally 260Z and a 74 AMC Javelin AMX. I also cut up a 69 SC/Rambler to turn it into an inline-6 66 Rambler base model in a junkyard scene (those kits run ~$75). That's why I like the rare stuff, they're the cool cars that nobody else will have at the show!

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
5/16/10 10:35 a.m.
P71 wrote:

There was a big car show / swap meet here a couple weeks ago, and while browsing the swap meet I found a pretty decent AMT 1961 Pontiac Bonneville, complete with the original box and instructions, for a very fair price. While I was looking it over, some other guy walked up and started telling the seller how underpriced the model was - "Hey, those are really rare, you should be asking twice as much for that." So, the seller immediately doubled his price.

I thanked the guy for his 'help' and moved on.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/16/10 12:25 p.m.

Last year, I e-Bay'd an old unbuilt 57 Corvette model that I had been dragging around for years and, as I recall, there a lot of bidding on it. I forget what it brought, but I was pretty happy with it. I still have a couple of old bottles of unopened Testors paint that were the same age as the kit, but I'm not sure if they're worth anything.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
5/16/10 12:39 p.m.

Metal Casting...the other grassroots hobby

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VN5s5jFy6Ipd1OW2dTlie0ARWoDCaXvqjVxSs6aJW0sIKr9hw4METq9AVpFAiNz4