TRoglodyte UltraDork
8/12/24 9:25 a.m.

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine :

Is something similar in the X games?

Paris Van Gorder
Paris Van Gorder Associate editor
8/12/24 9:40 a.m.

In reply to brandonsmash :

I was personally excited for break dancing to be part of the line up this year but it just seemed rushed and poorly put together which made alot of the dancers look bad.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
8/12/24 9:42 a.m.

Really disappointed we're not getting breaking in LA, which is kind of where they store all the hip-hop on the west coast.

But, hey, at least we get squash?

JG Pasterjak
8/12/24 9:48 a.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

Really disappointed we're not getting breaking in LA, which is kind of where they store all the hip-hop on the west coast.

Oh, but we also get flag football, and the NFL has already approved participation by its players if they choose to compete. Looking forward to seeing Tyreek Hill dropping 138 points on Luxembourg.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
8/12/24 10:00 a.m.
JG Pasterjak said:
JG Pasterjak said:

Oh, but we also get flag football, and the NFL has already approved participation by its players if they choose to compete. Looking forward to seeing Tyreek Hill dropping 138 points on Luxembourg.

... was this an Onion headline, or for real?

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/12/24 10:07 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:
JG Pasterjak said:
JG Pasterjak said:

I hope it's real.

As someone who dislikes the head-in-the-sand attitude about the massive health impacts: flag football would be just as watchable for fans than CTE-ball. Watching somebody get brain damage just isn't that awesome. 

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
8/12/24 10:39 a.m.

Stolen from FB.

JG Pasterjak
8/12/24 10:47 a.m.
OHSCrifle said:
Mr_Asa said:
JG Pasterjak said:
JG Pasterjak said:

I hope it's real.

As someone who dislikes the head-in-the-sand attitude about the massive health impacts: flag football would be just as watchable for fans than CTE-ball. Watching somebody get brain damage just isn't that awesome. 

It's real. Men's and women's flag.

Also getting cricket, squash, lacrosse and baseball/softball is coming back (which is actually taking place in Oklahoma or somewhere fairly far from LA). 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/12/24 10:49 a.m.
OHSCrifle said:
Mr_Asa said:
JG Pasterjak said:
JG Pasterjak said:

I hope it's real.

Google says it's real- barring unforseen circumstances. Jesus that's gonna be funny. Though I can't help but have this pop in my head when I hear Flag FootBall at the Olympics-

Purple Frog
Purple Frog GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/12/24 10:59 a.m.

Its so easy to go critical, but after watching for two weeks I thought Paris and France did a bang-up job putting on the event.  I read they had 45,000 volunteers.  Maybe one plus was how they integrated so many historic sites into the schedule.  mainstream NBC had a strong "American bias" in their coverage which could be expected, but with so many channels available one could find almost every event if they so desired.

Like auto racing, or football, it does seem you have a better view watching on TV versus being at any one event live.

But, I am thinking summer editions probably need to move into May to be a bit cooler.

JG Pasterjak
8/12/24 11:04 a.m.

The big question with NFL players in Flag is how many will actually want to play. Participating in the Olympics would mean missing a lot of training camp and risking injury, which is a big ask. that said, the NFL has a big investment in their Flag programs, and that would be a huge stage to promote it on.

Honestly I expect it to be a bit of a political mess unless the NFL steps in directly with a stronger position than "our players can play if they want." They really need to step up with full-throated support and some sort of "we plan to show the world that NFL football showcases the greatest athletes in the world etc. etc." directive. Otherwise just leave it to college players and indoor pros. Honestly I think skills from the indoor game would translate nicely to Flag. Although it would still be pretty rad to see Cooper Kupp playing in front of his hometown crowd (assuming he's still a Ram) and breaking Finland's ankles.

JG Pasterjak
8/12/24 11:13 a.m.

Oh and LA also gets offshore rowing. 

Apparently motorsport was pitched, although I'm not sure of what the format was supposed to be. The IOC rejected it anyway. My guess is it ws probably going to be a Formula-E type thing with a spec car or just regular FE cars with Olympic-specific BOP adjustments. Unfortunately the Coliseum is being used for track and field, otherwise jumpy trucks on the Coliseum MX course would have been amazing.

Purple Frog
Purple Frog GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/12/24 11:25 a.m.

I fear the Coliseum is going to look really dated compared to recent modern venues we have seen.  As a point of reference, the Coliseum doesn't look much different than when my father was on the 1932 Olympic team in L.A.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/12/24 12:31 p.m.

In reply to Purple Frog :

I mean.... it's a "historic" venue at least by LA standards. 

I AM curious how modern culturally relevant sports will continue to evolve as the Olympics push forward. I'm all for watching weird E36 M3- ribbon twirling among them, and it cannot be understated how globally popular sports like badminton and ping pong are...apparently? I'm a little surprised that Cricket isn't a sport- though I don't have the slightest idea how it's played, it's definitely popular with countries that don't add "berkeley Yeah" after their name every so often. Seeing Surfing, Skateboarding, and BMX get added has been a boon to me, along with Breaking (though that seems to have been temporary...at least for now). I think BMX Flatland would be an EXCELLENT addition- I kind of wish it was more popular as a whole. Obviously I sort of landed on top of flatlanding Valhalla  living where I do- and its definitely made it more interesting to me than it already was. I'm not entirely sure how Squash fits into it...but I guess? Ok? Sure. 

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
8/12/24 1:06 p.m.

Cricket can last incredibly long periods of time for one game.  Old school Cricket matches would last three days.

JG Pasterjak
8/12/24 3:02 p.m.
Mndsm said:

In reply to Purple Frog :

I mean.... it's a "historic" venue at least by LA standards. 

I AM curious how modern culturally relevant sports will continue to evolve as the Olympics push forward. I'm all for watching weird E36 M3- ribbon twirling among them, and it cannot be understated how globally popular sports like badminton and ping pong are...apparently? I'm a little surprised that Cricket isn't a sport- though I don't have the slightest idea how it's played, it's definitely popular with countries that don't add "berkeley Yeah" after their name every so often. Seeing Surfing, Skateboarding, and BMX get added has been a boon to me, along with Breaking (though that seems to have been temporary...at least for now). I think BMX Flatland would be an EXCELLENT addition- I kind of wish it was more popular as a whole. Obviously I sort of landed on top of flatlanding Valhalla  living where I do- and its definitely made it more interesting to me than it already was. I'm not entirely sure how Squash fits into it...but I guess? Ok? Sure. 

I think pickleball gets in for 2032 in Brisbane. 

I'm honestly a little surprised for squash, because the golden age of squash and racquetball has kind of passed at this point. Racquetball is having a bit of a boom n Mexico and Central and South America, though, but those climate controlled indoor court sports are just getting too inaccessible for normal folks and their popularity is waning. 

I'd LOVE to see half pipe added to BMW and skateboarding. I think that would make the NBC prime time rotation and give those disciplines a huge boost.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a stronger push for indoor soccer over handball, but maybe I'm just looking at the popularity with American biases there.

Also a little surprised there hasn't been a stronger push for action shooting to be added to the target disciplines. IPSC is pretty huge internationally and the international competitor base doesn't seem travel averse at all. But, yeah, I get that it can look a bit, um, aggressive to the casual viewer. 

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
8/12/24 3:05 p.m.

I have little interest in the olympics. Pretty much zero now that they have break dancing in. It's an artform (lol), how can you judge an artform? Are is subjective by nature.

Before you hate, watch Raygun again. There you go.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
8/12/24 3:21 p.m.

If ya cant say anything nice...

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/12/24 3:27 p.m.
DrBoost said:

I have little interest in the olympics. Pretty much zero now that they have break dancing in. It's an artform (lol), how can you judge an artform? Are is subjective by nature.

I had to look that one up. It wasn't super impressive. While I'm not a break dancing expert, some of them are very impressive. 

Now I'm curious when the phrase break dancing became offensive and when Breaking became the new acceptable thing.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/12/24 5:29 p.m.

I just saw this on reddit and I am 100% stealing it- 

Olympic Dodgeball. Only rules are- Captains are determined before the events, it takes place at the end, and players are picked playground style from other sports. Imagine KD, Simone Biles, and Bboy Victor against the GB team of the Gold medalist in Kite Surfing, Sport Climbing, and Gymnastics Trampoline. Could be amazing. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/12/24 5:58 p.m.
Toyman! said:
DrBoost said:

I had to look that one up. It wasn't super impressive. While I'm not a break dancing expert, some of them are very impressive. 

Now I'm curious when the phrase break dancing became offensive and when Breaking became the new acceptable thing.

Raygun was a weird deal. On the surface it certainly appears she was taking the piss. HOWEVER- she's got the credit ( and a PHD) to back her selection to the Aussie team. Her choice in routine was definitely questionable, but she said so herself- she was trying to be original. She knew she wasn't beating the other girls. She's just glad to be there. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/12/24 9:25 p.m.
racerfink said:

Cricket can last incredibly long periods of time for one game.  Old school Cricket matches would last three days.

I haven't checked, but it's probably T20 cricket. About as long as a typical baseball game. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/12/24 9:29 p.m.

Also, after seeing who plays games like team handball, I don't feel bad that American centric games are part. At least baseball is played in North down to some of South America as well as many Asian countries. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/12/24 9:32 p.m.

In reply to DrBoost :

So one participant defines the entire sport?  Makes no sense at all. Kind of a waste of your time to even look into it, imho.  

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/12/24 10:55 p.m.
DrBoost said:

I have little interest in the olympics. Pretty much zero now that they have break dancing in. It's an artform

Um, rhythmic gymnastics, synchronized swimming and ice skating? I don't get how people use one item of a slew of possibilities to base their judgment on. It's like finding an example of the other political party acting like an asshat and saying "this is why I hate X". Well, anything can be shown in a bad light if you dig enough.

1 ... 12 13 14 15 16

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yFsuirC9brS0zIBKFjG28TA6NwshPJAgKyNQSIlgbMGfy7KgKMnABrw8WFjoQ0Q1