1 2 3
mndsm
mndsm Reader
11/28/09 2:08 a.m.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for making me feel welcome. I know what it is to run something like this, and I have to say Tim and crew have a wonderful thing going on here. And the members on this forum have been more than gracious in answering my questions, as well as taking my offbeat brand of humor in stride. Too often I find that if you subscribe to a certain rule of thought, you are shunned from any community that doesn't think the same way. (I've been banned from a couple of Mazda websites as of late because of my manifold and my reason as to how I managed to gain 30whp while losing 3 psi). Everyone here's been awesome, and I am glad that after reading the mag, cover to cover, repeatedly, I decided to join up. My wife hates it, because you all seem to think the same way I do with the franken-swaps, but you've been a good dose of what's right with the internet. Race on.

Ok, smarm over, I just had to share that.

DrBoost
DrBoost HalfDork
11/28/09 7:21 a.m.

This is a VERY different kind of place. I'm glad you found a home here and welcome.

bigwrench
bigwrench Reader
11/28/09 7:50 a.m.

Yes welcome and yes thanks to Grassroots for giving the Forum which has become such a part of the Grassroots Experience!!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/28/09 2:37 p.m.

Thanks. We just try treat others as we'd like to be treated.

Appleseed
Appleseed Dork
11/28/09 2:48 p.m.

We also self regulate very well. Rare is a thread closed due to smarmers. Heck, as soon as I said Miata and cop car in my intro, I was IN. Like I was here for years.

VanillaSky
VanillaSky Reader
11/28/09 2:58 p.m.

I also feel this place is the best on the internet for people like us. Almost everyone here is a member of at least one other car forum, but we always come here. We're just too different to not all gather together in the same place.

wbjones
wbjones Reader
11/28/09 4:03 p.m.

I check all the other forums where I subscribe first each day, because I know I'll spend far more time here and if I came here first I might not ever get to the others...

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Dork
11/28/09 4:37 p.m.

I hardly go to vwvortex anymore. The A2 forum's gotten to where it's more of a kindergarten than a discussion board. The Corrado forum's better (and there's a lot of knowledge there), but most of that crowd are the "show & shine" type.

It's a lot better over here.

Marty! The other white meat....
Marty! The other white meat.... Reader
11/28/09 6:41 p.m.
wbjones wrote: I check all the other forums where I subscribe first each day, because I know I'll spend far more time here and if I came here first I might not ever get to the others...

+1

But then it got to the point that I just started checking the others (miata.net, solsticeforum) every other day, then every couple days, then once a week.....

This board is definitely better than any other. There really isn't many other places on the intraweb to share our love of Harbor Freight, cop cars, and bacon.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
11/28/09 7:30 p.m.

Banned for doing swaps? I should get out more....

Dan

mndsm
mndsm Reader
11/28/09 7:31 p.m.

God bless cop cars. Not that I support grand theft auto, but if I were to ever say "borrow" a vehicle without the owners consent, It'd be a cop car. Even if the guns are all locked up, there's way to many other awesome doodads to play with.

tuna55
tuna55 Reader
11/28/09 7:32 p.m.

I one looked in the Civic forum for a timing belt how-to - holy cow - did you know how many people make neon light kits? Have you ever heard a neon light review by a bunch of civic guys? Wow. Seriously rainbow bright style stuff there.

Here is different. 9/10 ish people here have actually been on a race track - driving - a car. The mag is great too - highly recommend it.

mndsm
mndsm Reader
11/28/09 9:04 p.m.

I am well versed in the mag, picked up an issue a number of years ago after seeing the cover blurb for the 200x challenge, which is pretty much the best idea ever in my book.\, and have been reading it ever since. I'd have reupped my subscription for the full 10 years, but I was broke when I got my 3 year reup. I'd love to run it some day. And you're right, people here are more about tech... and the best part is, I say something like ls1 miata, and instead of OMG STFU NOOB, I get, here's a resource where to get the front subframe, here's where to get etc etc etc. And if it's a genuinely bad idea, instead of lampooning me for hours on end, people will offer alternatives... which usually get me back to a Miata.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/28/09 9:42 p.m.

so lets hear about this manifold

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Dork
11/29/09 7:41 a.m.

mndsm, I think we should thank you for finding us. Not to steal a line from Dennis Leary in broad daylight, but we're not your regular car enthusiasts, we're the other guys.. Anytime one of us finds his way home, its the rest of the group that is lucky to have him, not the other way around.

Welcome

oh and by the way...30hp and -3 PSI? pics or it doesnt exist

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
11/29/09 8:32 a.m.

Any Mazda guy is a bonus here IMHO, and hell yeah we wanna know about the 30hp

welcome mate

Bobzilla
Bobzilla HalfDork
11/29/09 8:54 a.m.

ah dangit.... ANOTHER mazda guy? Geesh...

This place/mag/people are all awesome. They even let Hyundai humping suzuki driving freaks like me in here.

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid HalfDork
11/30/09 5:33 p.m.

how about the other cars freaks who are car sluts? amc, chevy, and subaru...go fig on that line up for cars. welcome to the maddness that is GRM and dont mind the clown also...he is mostly harmless i think....

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/30/09 5:47 p.m.

I wish I was cool like everyone else here.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Dork
11/30/09 5:53 p.m.

So do we mofo...so do we

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/30/09 6:34 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: ....let Hyundai humping ....

blocking that thought before it gives me nightmares.

This is a great place. Everyone is a little strange, but great. Can you imagine the block party if we all lived on the same block...

There wouldn't be a stock car for miles... Half of them wouldn't run and the rest would be transplant victims that ran like scalded dogs.

mndsm
mndsm Reader
11/30/09 6:49 p.m.

So- this manifold. This manifold is a sordid tale of me being in the right place at the right time, and making pretty much any DISI owner in the country a whole bunch of jealous. The story starts with our intrepid ms3 owner being at a local speed shop, because parts needed to be retrieved. I was picking up an SRI from a friend of mine and a boost gauge and a new not leaky plastic POS BPV from my good friends @ MAPerformance. Chris- the owner of the shop, starts asking the panel of ms3 owners there (I think there were 4-5 of us) if anyone had a car available for some prototype work.... a test pipe had been mentioned. Everyone else is like "you can have it for a week, two weeks" etc. I had the trump card as I was already in the wifes' car for the winter, as my ms3 didn't get driven in snow for the 1st 3 years of ownership. It being early Feb, the car had been mothballed since November. My reply was a simple "Well, snow melts in like....April. I need it back by April" Of course, this made Chris very happy, and everyone else very angry. Chris then says that he has someone for me to talk to. This is where we meet Bob. Bob is MAP's port guru. Seriously this guy is the mad scientist... built himself a TT SRT-4 using factory manis, because he could. Bob tells me that he wants to pull apart the entire intake side of the car, just to see what he can do with it. This obviously, is not a bad idea to yours truly. My final cost? 0.00. This is an agreeable number, for obvious reasons. So me, being fat dumb and happy, agreed to drop the car off, and it was gone a week later. Fast forward a few months, and I get a call from Bob saying that we have some interesting numbers. They had pulled the VCTS out of the #1 runner, and picked up 5whp. Now this, this is not bad. However, there was more. Flow benching the manifold revealed that the runners were horribly uneven, with a total of a 25% variance or so between the 4 runners, the #1 runner being the worst offender with the VCTS and all of that. So, some port work ensues. The mani is pulled, runner matched, honed, the whole freakin works. It is then welded back together (They had to cut it open to do the whole thing) and then jet coated, and I got a nice little MAP plate welded to the front. I thought it was cool. The final numbers were that the mani itself had picked up 100cfm from the port work, with variances down to like.......2%? 5% something like that. As stated in another thread, I have the flow numbers somewhere. In the mean time I also was graced with a free test pipe (cat elim, whatever you wanna call it). I got the car back late April, with some interesting results. The car actually dynoed 20-30whp gain, from the test pipe, the SRI, and the mani. What wasn't sure at the time, was what it was doing boost wise, as the boost logging software on said dyno was fubar at the time. Anyhow, so we bench tested it, and called it good. Another month goes by, and I get a call from Chris. They want to see if we can dyno my car one last time, as the boost loggings been fixed. I trundle over there one night after work, pop the hood and let her cool down.... TMIC+heatsoak=fail. Strap her down to the dyno, and confirm what I suspected. Car is only pulling 13psi. This can't be right...... so we pull again. 13 psi. WTF? One more dyno pull...... and you guessed it, 13 psi. Another friend of mines car sporting the EXACT same modifications as mine, running off the same fuel, on no tune.... pulls the same whp number as mine. 16psi. This is repeated 2 more times just to verify. Mind you, we had the stock numbers, but we wanted another analog, to be sure. Pull up my sheets and lay them over the new ones as a comparo, and sure enough, car is making MORE power, on less boost, and spooling sooner. The reason? The DISI ECU is a tricksy little bugger, and has a target it likes to hit or power. SO- it saw all the extra air, said, ok, and pulled boost.

To my knowledge there are now officially two more of these manis floating around..... and I've been banned from several sites for these OUTRAGEOUS claims. And yet, the manis, which are a strictly custom job, go for close to a grand each and they're backordered. All on word of mouth.

Appleseed
Appleseed Dork
11/30/09 7:49 p.m.

Dude, that's some serious Lockheed Skunk Works black program stuff going on, right there. I wouldn't blab too much or the gubmint's gonna want their project back.

RexSeven
RexSeven Dork
11/30/09 9:37 p.m.

Sweet. Potential future mod for my MS3!

ChesterRumble
ChesterRumble New Reader
12/1/09 12:07 a.m.

That is pretty wild that they banned you for posting information like that. Did you provide pictures of the dyno graph sheets or were you banned immediately?

Just like Marty! too, I browse the Honda forums first and always make my way back here to lurk and snoop around. Ever since Honda-Tech switched formats it seems like everything went down the tube. The forum is still full of information and how-to's but good luck searching for anything!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NX6CASlEGyH3XfkYbgozfuluFXuAbLKPp4gS1gt6fjXMaccFOw5ykKcZ5uM8NUVk