1 2
pres589
pres589 SuperDork
5/10/13 10:40 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

You ever installed hog rings... in a hog? I had to help with that growing up on a farm, it isn't to get them looking more cute, it's to keep them from rooting around under stuff like fence panels.

I'll skip the rest but I'd have to describe it as one of the less fun pig-owning projects I can think of. Pretty much all of it was less than fun thou...

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Dork
5/10/13 1:33 p.m.

In reply to pres589:

Never actually installed them but I was well aware of hog rings being used on hogs long before I had any idea that they were used on seats. I don't think any of ours had any installed, though I have pretty sharp memories of holding goat kids while de-horning them. The memory of that smell doesn't go away.
Anyway, non douchey drag racing forums? Anyone?

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
5/10/13 2:03 p.m.
Jerry wrote:
JoeyM wrote:
Jerry wrote: I found Jalopnik recently, scan the headlines for interesting stuff. What do you recommend?
.....not reading jalopnik!!!!
Really? Seems like they have some interesting stuff from time to time. Am I missing something?

We've already beaten the "why jalopnik sucks" topic to death multiple times, but here (again) are my thoughts on the subject.

Jalopnik is WAY too TMZ/tabloid for my taste. If you really need to read some non-GRM site, you can get the same stuff as jalopnik by reading Hooniverse, or left lane news, or the truth about cars.....the big difference is that they won't tell you about Lindsey Lohan's latest car crash and jalopnik will.

I used to read Jalopnik, back when Sam Smith and Murilee Martin wrote there.
They're gone....and so am I. Here's the simple fact of the matter; Gawker cares about one statistic, unique page views. They have admitted this. (Hell, they take pride in it.) They don't give a damned about their core audience, or about their writers.

For fun, try reading the 2010 Awesomeness Manifesto where Ray Wert talked about how the site had started to suck, but he would fix it, and how bring Sam Smith in was a key part of that.....less than a year later, Wert was announcing that Smith was out[*], Murilee Martin was out, and that the site would NOW suck less.

Guess what? The site sucks harder now than ever (no surprise since the best writers are gone.) I haven't paid attention in a few years, but I would not be surprised if there had been a half dozen more "jalopnik will get better, I promise" posts from Wert since I left. It won't; the content doesn't matter to Gawker, and they are happy since page views are up.

Then there is Gawker's dumbass method of handling user data. How hard is it to understand that you should not store user passwords in plaintext? You should store a salted hash of the password, preferably using a lossy method to generate it. (Hell, the *nix community figured that out back in the 1970s, and they still suffered from dictionary attacks.)

[*] - (This is despite the fact that Sam wrote some amazing stories for them (seriously, he's the next Peter Egan). Sam had a few stories with off-the-chart views, but that wasn't true consistently. I suspect this is why he had to leave for "less structured freelance gigs")

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
5/10/13 2:14 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote:
turboswede wrote: [why jalopnik sucks]
While all that is true, it costs me nothing to include Jalopnik in my RSS feed and scan it for anything interesting,

If it is interesting, someone will post it here. THEN I will visit jalopnik.

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
5/10/13 2:21 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: Anyway, non douchey drag racing forums? Anyone?

If you find one, let me know. Until then, I'll don my flame suit and thick skin and continue on with yellowbullet.

scardeal
scardeal Dork
5/10/13 3:06 p.m.

I read MotoIQ's articles, but not their forums.
http://www.motoIQ.com

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/11/13 1:09 a.m.

Never been to onehotlap, but I just did and I like it.

LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress HalfDork
5/11/13 9:15 a.m.

My Big Three are:

Grassroots Motorsports

Adventure Rider

RoadRaceAutoX

failboat
failboat SuperDork
5/11/13 11:19 a.m.

2 pages in and no ones suggested hooniverse.com? the commenters are usually hilarious and it think many of them are here. and I think Maroon92 is one of the contributing writers.

between grm, hooniverse, and my own make/model specific forums i rarely make time for anything else.

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
5/11/13 11:26 a.m.
failboat wrote: 2 pages in and no ones suggested hooniverse.com?

I realize that my post suffers from TL;DR, but I did mention it

JoeyM wrote: Jalopnik is WAY too TMZ/tabloid for my taste. If you really need to read some non-GRM site, you can get the same stuff as jalopnik by reading Hooniverse, or left lane news, or the truth about cars.....the big difference is that they won't tell you about Lindsey Lohan's latest car crash and jalopnik will.
failboat
failboat SuperDork
5/11/13 11:38 a.m.

oh, yeah its saturday. i dont read on saturdays.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
5/11/13 7:58 p.m.

Www.expeditionportal.com

Www.bangshift.com

Www.pistonheads.com

Any others?

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
5/11/13 8:11 p.m.

for pretty retro pictures, berkeley yeah carburetors

Jerry
Jerry HalfDork
5/15/13 8:07 a.m.
Jerry wrote:
JoeyM wrote:
Jerry wrote: I found Jalopnik recently, scan the headlines for interesting stuff. What do you recommend?
.....not reading jalopnik!!!!
Really? Seems like they have some interesting stuff from time to time. Am I missing something?

I figured it out! Jalopnik is to cars, what MTV is to music!

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
5/15/13 6:31 p.m.

well done, grasshopper.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/26/13 11:35 p.m.

Had to bump this thread to mention

http://ateupwithmotor.com

Some really good reading there.

Mmadness
Mmadness Reader
6/27/13 6:28 p.m.

Recently, I started reading the NASA magazine and it is very similair to GRM, you can access the back issues on their website for free.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/27/13 8:07 p.m.

+1 on MotoIQ, although they tend more towards drifting than rally. Still a great read... Edmunds Inside Line was pretty good, too, but they changed the website a few months back and completely messed up all of their RSS feeds, so I haven't been back since...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2eB6u00JH89RJfWV7au16sSQRiQOupOq2Dchb82RJBLR8htrkvqdrkXJHPr5Dy9A