1 2 3
Mazda787b
Mazda787b Reader
2/5/14 11:38 p.m.

Is it just me, or has there been a recent influx of people using things such as Kickstarter to fund car builds?

There was the kid with the "Zero berkeleys Given RX7" trying to crowdsource funds to build some drift car out of an old Rolls Royce.

I recently saw a post about some poor guy who has gotten sick and wanted people to donate so he can build his car before he got sicker.

A few days ago, a popular up-and-coming Youtube channel was asking for donations so the creator could buy a new car. He wrecked his DD and was concerned that having no car would possibly put an end to their video series..

Is it just me, or is there something a bit ridiculous about internet begging? Don't get me wrong, I am one of the first to help a person in need but some kid wanting to be Ken Block, or a guy doing comedic voice-overs under the guide of reviewing an automobile doesn't fall into that category for me.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
2/6/14 12:01 a.m.

So you're saying now isn't a good time to launch my "Zero Berks Given B2200 Turbo Upgrade" Facespace campaign?!

Mazda787b
Mazda787b Reader
2/6/14 12:18 a.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: So you're saying now isn't a good time to launch my "Zero Berks Given B2200 Turbo Upgrade" Facespace campaign?!

I'll contribute tree fiddy, just because I saw it on GRM and not redditbook.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
2/6/14 5:39 a.m.

So don't donate.

Problem solved.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/6/14 7:13 a.m.

I'm not a fan of begging personally but you can't really blame people for trying. Notice that all the people doing this are Gen. Y'ers. Their options are to find a creative way to get money or not do it at all.

I remember some guy got his rally entry crowdfunded, he was driving some little old Honda (a CRX?). IIRC he wrecked early on

I think it would be a bit less like begging to sell sticker space on the car being built/raced for high prices...at least the people paying would have something to show for it.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
2/6/14 7:26 a.m.

It's free money with very little effort. An actual panhandler is working for their money, comparatively. Some douchenozzle on the internet sees the donation button on a real 'needs' website and thinks 'hey I can du dat.'

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
2/6/14 7:30 a.m.

MAybe I should start a "lots of berkeleys given need snow tires" fund.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
2/6/14 7:34 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: ...Gen. Y'ers. Their options are to find a creative way to get money or not do it at all.

Elaborate?

GameboyRMH
2/6/14 7:52 a.m.
4cylndrfury wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote: ...Gen. Y'ers. Their options are to find a creative way to get money or not do it at all.
Elaborate?

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/10/generation-why-no-job-no-money-no-car/

I'm sure it's because we're all slobs and lazy berkeleyers though.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
2/6/14 8:00 a.m.

Not just cars, saw someone I knew basically asking for money to help open a coffe shop yesterday. Really kind of pisses me off, give me money so I can start a for-profit business? No, if I am investing I not only expect my money back, but something for my trouble.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
2/6/14 8:18 a.m.

EDITED because Im really not trying to troll

I knew what he was saying, I just wanted to spark the discussion...Apparently, wait and save isnt a third option.

In my experience, 20-somethings have an entitlement mentality. So rather than work toward a goal, many would rather find a quick and easy way to it.

GameboyRMH
2/6/14 8:25 a.m.

I saved up for mine, but it takes forever, a lot of people don't have the ability to do the kind of waiting and sacrifice I do for something as unimportant as a fun car. If you look at it objectively it's a bit insane. I've saved up for 7 years to fix up the 'rolla and I'm just able to keep the sammy in good condition. I have practically nothing else to my name and all the money I've ever spent on my car hobby would barely pay for a new econobox.

Datsun1500 that is very impressive, I only know a few people my own age who are similarly successful. Congrats, your son is a 2nd-generation outlier according to the stats.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
2/6/14 8:28 a.m.

If people are dumb enough to give them money, I don't see the problem with it, especially on a website. There's no inconveniencing you to not go to that site or not give them money.

From the recipients standpoint: Hey, free money!

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
2/6/14 8:34 a.m.

I would like to think that his success is more attributed to his approach, rather than to an aberration in the economic environment.

My company is desperate for a few specialized employees. There are a ton of people in this field that are recent grads from several local colleges. We get few resumes because while the roles are specialized, the position is entry-level. The precious snowflakes are too good for entry level. No 6 figure starting pay with a car and an expense acct? Theyre not interested. The few who have accepted offers turn out to be useless. When confronted about their lack of throughput, they claim that they feel they shouldnt have to put out real results because theyre not being paid a real salary.

That is my experience with 20 somethings right now...irresponsible, entitled, self-important, egotistical, and unaccountable. My company is small, but intentionally so. Each person is VERY important to the organization. Put in your dues for a year or 3, and watch the paychecks double. Too many want the big checks now - "Pay me before I will work hard". Sorry snowflake, that aint the way it works 'round here.

wae
wae Reader
2/6/14 8:37 a.m.
xflowgolf wrote: If people are dumb enough to give them money, I don't see the problem with it, especially on a website. There's no inconveniencing you to not go to that site or not give them money. From the recipients standpoint: Hey, free money!

And from the IRS's standpoint: Hey, income!

GameboyRMH
2/6/14 8:41 a.m.

6 figures starting is nuts, but are they starting with minimum wage by any chance? They grew up their whole lives being told to go to college so they can get a good job and don't have to flip burgers for minimum wage. When they graduate with a E36 M3-ton of debt and end up using that expensive, hard-won education to earn burger-flipping pay, maybe you can see how massively demotivating and soul-crushing that could be. And then to add insult to injury, if they have trouble finding a job some ask why they're too good to flip burgers.

GameboyRMH
2/6/14 8:42 a.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: In reply to GameboyRMH: You saved, sacrificed, and waited to get what you wanted, then say that others don't have that ability. Why don't they? You made choices, they can make the same choices if it's important to them.

That's true, but my choices are crazy and self-destructive. Are those really better choices or just different choices? I haven't avoided failure by saving up, I've just reallocated it.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
2/6/14 8:46 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: 6 figures starting is nuts, but are they starting with minimum wage by any chance? They grew up their whole lives being told to go to college so they can get a good job and don't have to flip burgers for minimum wage. When they graduate with a E36 M3-ton of debt and end up using that expensive, hard-won education to earn burger-flipping pay, maybe you can see how massively demotivating and soul-crushing that could be. And then to add insult to injury, if they have trouble finding a job some ask why they're too good to flip burgers.

$40k? Definitely not min-wage. Apparently though, $40k isnt enough to command your best work. its enough to get you to show up and clock in, and not much else...

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
2/6/14 8:46 a.m.

We tried, but it isn't going well. But we're not panhandling, we're selling ad space, seat time, and merchandise to fund the build. I haven't actually seen any of them that are begging for money with nothing in return. Maybe I missed something. http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/build-monkey-car-2-race-monkey-car-2?fb_action_ids=10201821048361303&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_aggregation_id=288381481237582

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
2/6/14 8:47 a.m.
Apexcarver wrote: Not just cars, saw someone I knew basically asking for money to help open a coffe shop yesterday. Really kind of pisses me off, give me money so I can start a for-profit business? No, if I am investing I not only expect my money back, but something for my trouble.

Why does it piss you off? Instead of going to a bank or an investor, they are asking for seed money from a different set of people.

We've done it a couple of times- and each time, as a donor, we are given something that is similar in value to what we put into the funds. It's like paying as a customer before they were a business. Financially, it's good for them, since they don't have to rely on being in debt, and have a set of customers that they can work with in due time.

But, the key is getting something out of the investment.

If I were to kickstart a car program, I would require them to NOT put any stickers on the car that advertises someone who didn't pay (unless required by the sanctioning body), and also require that they do not paint the car in some kind of advertising livery- no matter how historic. I'm not going to pay for someone else's advertising.

GameboyRMH
2/6/14 8:48 a.m.
4cylndrfury wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote: 6 figures starting is nuts, but are they starting with minimum wage by any chance? They grew up their whole lives being told to go to college so they can get a good job and don't have to flip burgers for minimum wage. When they graduate with a E36 M3-ton of debt and end up using that expensive, hard-won education to earn burger-flipping pay, maybe you can see how massively demotivating and soul-crushing that could be. And then to add insult to injury, if they have trouble finding a job some ask why they're too good to flip burgers.
$40k? Definitely not min-wage. Apparently though, $40k isnt enough to command your best work. its enough to get you to show up and clock in, and not much else...

Damn, well PM me info if you're still looking. I do pretty good work just on pride.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
2/6/14 8:50 a.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: I would like to think that his success is more attributed to his approach, rather than to an aberration in the economic environment. My company is desperate for a few specialized employees. There are a ton of people in this field that are recent grads from several local colleges. We get few resumes because while the roles are specialized, the position is entry-level. The precious snowflakes are too good for entry level. No 6 figure starting pay with a car and an expense acct? Theyre not interested. The few who have accepted offers turn out to be useless. When confronted about their lack of throughput, they claim that they feel they shouldnt have to put out real results because theyre not being paid a real salary. That is my experience with 20 somethings right now...irresponsible, entitled, self-important, egotistical, and unaccountable. My company is small, but intentionally so. Each person is VERY important to the organization. Put in your dues for a year or 3, and watch the paychecks double. Too many want the big checks now - "Pay me before I will work hard". Sorry snowflake, that aint the way it works 'round here.

IMHO, in this odd case, if you can't fill positions with qualfied employees, then you are not willing to pay enough. So either you are desparate, or not. Pay or not.

If you are really that desparate, pay up.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
2/6/14 8:54 a.m.
alfadriver wrote:
4cylndrfury wrote: I would like to think that his success is more attributed to his approach, rather than to an aberration in the economic environment. My company is desperate for a few specialized employees. There are a ton of people in this field that are recent grads from several local colleges. We get few resumes because while the roles are specialized, the position is entry-level. The precious snowflakes are too good for entry level. No 6 figure starting pay with a car and an expense acct? Theyre not interested. The few who have accepted offers turn out to be useless. When confronted about their lack of throughput, they claim that they feel they shouldnt have to put out real results because theyre not being paid a real salary. That is my experience with 20 somethings right now...irresponsible, entitled, self-important, egotistical, and unaccountable. My company is small, but intentionally so. Each person is VERY important to the organization. Put in your dues for a year or 3, and watch the paychecks double. Too many want the big checks now - "Pay me before I will work hard". Sorry snowflake, that aint the way it works 'round here.
IMHO, in this odd case, if you can't fill positions with qualfied employees, then you are not willing to pay enough. So either you are desparate, or not. Pay or not. If you are really that desparate, pay up.

Yep, should just hire people with experience and pay them for it. But that costs more than entitled 20-somethings.

I had the same thing happen last summer, company was creating a new position that would directly interface with all their customers, review drawings, create BOMs and start the quoting process.

I was told "You have too much experience" essentially saying, yeah, you have 5+ years doing a similar job, but $10-15k a year isn't worth it to our multi-million dollar business. That attitude blows me away.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
2/6/14 8:59 a.m.

You able to do technical design work in the textiles industry?

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
2/6/14 9:04 a.m.
Apexcarver wrote: Not just cars, saw someone I knew basically asking for money to help open a coffe shop yesterday. Really kind of pisses me off, give me money so I can start a for-profit business? No, if I am investing I not only expect my money back, but something for my trouble.

Why does that piss you off? I helped Kickstart a watch company (Melbourne Watch Company). I am getting something back though for helping.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CRB4GSKprPA4ZcGwvEoLzDM7CK2VmwcUy6amFAn30Sf6Uuf6b6ogoh57xASkQpq2