1 2
novaderrik
novaderrik UberDork
4/19/13 10:50 a.m.
Chris_V wrote:
Brokeback wrote:
mtn wrote:
Apexcarver wrote: Mtn, don't feel weird, I feel the same as you. Hell, I am 27 and I don't feel the need for a smartphone for me. (not willing to pay for it)
I'm only 24 and my phone doesn't even have a camera.
I'm 23 and agree with you both. Got my first phone as a senior in high school, and didn't get texting til Junior year of college. Maybe I'm just reallllllly cheap though.
Uh, oh, it's the "I'm superior to you because I don't pay for modern tech" crowd again.

i have something that barely qualifies as a "smart phone".. yeah, it's got a touch screen... yeah, it's got the Android OS.. yeah, i can go online with it with up to 3G speeds or hook up to an open wifi system.. yeah, it's got GPS capabilities... but i just can't stand using it for anything besides calls, texts, and emergency facebook checks... the screen is just too damn small to be useful for going on teh internets...

i suggest a phone like my Samsung Dart for kids, and i'm sure there's a way to be able to snoop on what they are using it for if need be. but ultimately if you can't trust the kid with it then they aren't ready to have a phone. people got by just fine for millennia without having a little supercomputer in their pocket to act as an electronic leash- my parents just flat out didn't know where i was between breakfast and lunch and between lunch and dinner during the summer, because i was out running around town with my friends doing kid stuff. the late 70's and early 80's kinda kicked ass in that regard- and they can still do it today...

mtn
mtn PowerDork
4/19/13 11:06 a.m.
Chris_V wrote: Uh, oh, it's the "I'm superior to you because I don't pay for modern tech" crowd again.

Not true. I have cable, I pay for high speed internet, I don't have a landline, I get a new computer every few years. First purchase once I move out on my own (i.e. no longer with roommates, I'm out of my parents house) is going to be a nice TV, and I'll probably be buying a tablet if not another iPod soon as well. If I had the money, I'd be in a Chevy Volt; as is I'm strongly considering a Mistubishi iMiev.

I just don't understand paying for modern tech over and over again--especially for a 12 year old. There is effectively no difference in having a smart phone and having a dumbphone with a camera and a computer with internet. Unless of course you are riding the bus or train a lot, or do a lot of work away from home or the office. I just don't see that.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
4/19/13 12:49 p.m.

In reply to mtn and the rest of the "tech is too 'spensive" crowd:

Ya know how very few of us are fond of the idea of paying full price for a brandy new car, so most of us buy used, letting someone else take the depreciation hit, yet still getting the utility of a "like new" vehicle? Well, the same holds true for phone (and most tech items).

...its called Craigslist.

I have a month to month plan, that does not include any periodic phone deals or upgrades. I gotta pay full price or sign a contract if I want to get any of the ZOMGAMAZINGSUPERDEALSAVALABLENOW!!!!1! that my carrier advertizes all over tv and print media. That option sucks. Then I found a C-list posting for a 1Ghz processor, large screen android phone with pretty decent specs set up for my carrier. It retails for $649, $149 with a new/upgrade eligible contract, I bought it used for $85. Legit, up and up seller - gave me the ESN so I could call the carrier and verify the phone was not stolen.

I didnt have to upgrade to a smartphone plan - I still use my regular minutes and data. I didnt have to sign up for a contract. My number is still the same. Nothing changed on my end. I swapped in my SIM card, 2 minutes of Google activation and contact uploads, and I was underway. Easy peasy. Its a great tool if your waiting in the doctors office lobby or stuck in line at the coffee house, to check emails, check in on the forums, pay your insurance etc.

Im on a budget too, but theres not necessarilly any reason to avoid something like a smartphone because you feel its too expensive.

mtn
mtn PowerDork
4/19/13 1:00 p.m.

What carrier do you have? Every carrier I've talked to has told me I'd need to upgrade my plan. The cost of the phone is not the issue--I'd have no problem paying even $300 for it. But every plan that I've seen (and admittedly I have not looked for them for about a year) would require me to pay an extra $30 a month over my current unlimited text and whatever call package I have.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
4/19/13 1:12 p.m.
mtn wrote: What carrier do you have? Every carrier I've talked to has told me I'd need to upgrade my plan. The cost of the phone is not the issue--I'd have no problem paying even $300 for it. But every plan that I've seen (and admittedly I have not looked for them for about a year) would require me to pay an extra $30 a month over my current unlimited text and whatever call package I have.

Im using Cincinnati Bell - a regional carrier here. Theyre not much different in terms of network tech than T-mobile or AT&T. They too told me that Id need to upgrade to use "smartphone Data". They told me that without the upgraded plan, none of my apps would work, none of my email would work, I wouldnt be able to get to the app market, etc etc etc... But really, they say that because they can. They basically just want your cash.

I have no issues with my android phone working on the network with my old plan, full 3G (HSPD which isnt 4 g, but technically can be faster than 3G) speeds, full coverage and so on. It works with WiFi too, so, even tho I have technically unlimited data (from my dumbphone days), if I didnt want to use up a limited number of gigs from a less expensive "smartphone data plan" (essentially a tricky billing plan, nothing different in terms of what youre actually paying for), any hotspot will do. I have WiFi at home, so its a no brainer there. I can even use it to "tether" my tablet, eseentially making my own secure hotspot for travel purposes.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Reader
4/19/13 2:34 p.m.

http://explore.t-mobile.com/whyt-mobile

I think t-mobile just went contract free, so you can join/quit anytime you want. They may work better for you mtn if you're interested in a smart phone.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
4/19/13 2:48 p.m.

Fox,

Apologies for adding to the previous pile-on derailment of the thread.

I know that many phone carriers are building in such systems (especially the tracking) as a small add-on fee.

Not familiar with them though, as I haven't jumped off the smart phone cliff yet.

Jerry
Jerry Reader
4/19/13 2:52 p.m.

Can't help with the apps for kids, but I can offer a warning. When you're checking out the history, if he has an Instagram app check that too.

I read a recent story about kids with restricted Facebook apps going around the non-tech-savy parents by typing a note, take a screen shot, then sending via Instagram to their friends. Instagram lets you tag people, follow them, organize by hashtag topic, etc. Them damn kids!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
C3KWpGAqO3tWOg7ICtsPu3a6sjrm2Qhwx8NL1Le7rjhMNyqmmNo2E6euXufqrQrw