914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
7/30/10 1:20 p.m.

For the VW crowd. I just learned of it when the guy selling me the Caddie tossed a catalog in the deal. He also threw in a new bag of shifter linkage bushings, an $11 value thank you.

Prices seem very fair.

Dan

http://www.partsplaceinc.com/

pilotbraden
pilotbraden Reader
7/30/10 1:52 p.m.

They do have a good selection but they can be real a-----oles when they make a mistake. They sent me the wrong/mismarked fuel pump repeatedly. When I took them the old pump and the one with the wrong label they brought out 2-3 more that were mismarked. Then they told me they would have to order the proper one and charge me for a special order. This was many years ago I hope they are better now.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Reader
7/30/10 3:11 p.m.

They are on my E36 M3 list for that exact same reason. Call them up and order an alternator for my 1988 VW GTI 16V with factory no A/C.

"That car doesn't exist" "Yes it does, I am looking right at it" "Can't be, it was a conversion" "I bought it from the original owner who ordered it that way"

So they finally sent me an alternator. Turns out the dumb-dumb on the phone had looked up my OLD car that I had ordered parts for (1986 GTI 8 valve) and sent me the alternator for that. Call them up "Well, that can't be" Well, it is. "Well, we can't accept returns on electrical items"

Finally they DID take it back but never admitted their mistake. This whole situation was compounded by the fact that I was moving and NEEDED my car so I could move. So due to their bad customer service, inability to send the correct parts, and general lack of knowledge about VWs (at least the idiots on the phone), they will never get a dime from me.

NewEdgePerf
NewEdgePerf New Reader
7/30/10 3:23 p.m.

I had nothing but good dealings with them. They had the parts and special tools to keep my '84 GTi on the road for years.

They seem to have parts that no one else had. And since there is not a VW dealer within 70 miles of here, I counted on them for replacement parts.

Tony D

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
7/30/10 3:26 p.m.

my co-worker and i had a good laugh at their website. Some of their descriptions they had for things were pretty funny. I like the "When you call us, you talk to a real person who’s changed out the injection pump on a Rabbit Diesel, or replaced the pushrod tubes on a Beetle. You don’t get your call routed to some call center in India!" Haven't dealt with them yet, but they sound good.

neckromacr
neckromacr New Reader
7/31/10 12:53 a.m.

Interesting, it'd still be hard pressed to pull me away from GermanAutoParts.com

Similar type sales, but much better service. The few times they've made a mistake they've stepped up to take care of the situation.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
7/31/10 1:12 a.m.

In reply to neckromacr:

Another vote for GAP. Both my Corrados are OBD 1 cars with dizzys..GAP seemed to the the only people who'd ever heard of a VR6 with a distributor when the one in the black C died.

Dang, that reminds me..I still need to send them my core..

alstevens
alstevens New Reader
7/31/10 9:30 a.m.

Nothing good ever happened when TRYING to deal with them. I pity the fool that buys from them.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ab1g7S1CwBTXBzR9MqTyn8nt3uHXI55vLxkPZci7SzGusrvhKeI3xiNkSDdMNjnh