1 2 3 4
tuna55
tuna55 UberDork
4/18/13 3:37 p.m.
Cone_Junky wrote:
volvoclearinghouse wrote: No worries, after they ban magazines over 10 rounds, and all the high capacity magazines are "used up", they'll be all gone. Right? Just ask Rep. Diana DeGette from Colorado. She knows all about magazines.
There's another (former)Senator from Arizona that is pretty familiar with clip sizes. Wonder what her thoughts are on it?

Trying. so. hard. to. leave. thread.

It's not a clip. it's a magazine.

The representative VCH was speaking of was convinced that magazines would 'run out' and he was pointing out that people who so grossly misunderstand the basic entities they are speaking of have no business generating new law regarding them.

Gabrielle Giffords was shot by a man with a Glock 19 with a 33 round magazine, true, and it's also true that the guy dropped his magazine which enabled him to be stopped. It is also true that the standard reloading procedure makes the time required to fire a large number of bullets almost irrespective of magazine size. Focusing on that aspect is folly, and most of the people talking up that aspect know it. Furthermore, the Glock 19 has a standard magazine size of 19. Limiting them to ten, or seven, or whatever, is pretty random and likely not based on anything.

yamaha
yamaha UltraDork
4/18/13 3:39 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: It's not a clip. it's a magazine.

+1, thank you.

Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
4/18/13 3:50 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote:
Strizzo wrote:
yamaha wrote: In reply to Bobzilla: They're nicer than AR's anyways, nobody goes berkeleying crazy calling the cops, and they're better close in.
or mini 30 or mini 14 in 6.8
My best friend has a Mini14 and I love the ergo. BUT.... houses are still a little too close for me to be comfortable with a 5.56 or 7.62 modern round. I know the .30cal round is quite a bit slower, has less lethal range and is best in that 25-100yd range where I would use/need it most.

well i was going to say the .30 carbine doesn't have the effective range that the others would, but down here the 'yotes stay a bit further out, probably because they tend to get shot at a lot. sounds like the carbine would work just fine for what you'd be using it for.

The0retical
The0retical Reader
4/18/13 3:55 p.m.

I'm not going to take any of the bait in here just say this: Why do we feel that new legislation needs to be passed? Why not chase it through the judiciary? Felon caught with a gun? Prison 25 years minimum. Knowingly straw buying? Prison 25 years minimum.

I feel as if everyone thinks that there's a need for something to be done so they can point at themselves and say "I did this" even if it is ineffectual. You just end up with a rats nest of legislation where you can only do certain things under a quartermoon with your left sock on and untied shoelaces.

There also needs to be a culture shift in the US. It needs to be ok to say if you are suicidal or thinking of hurting yourself. Culture mocks those people and leads to the whole mental health issue we're having now. Maybe I just don't understand which I'm sure someone is going to tell me in the next 3 posts.

Also Bobzilla: M1A is a fantastic rifle I've got one with a bunch of really dangerous hand grips on it from Troy Industries. If you're looking for something for 25 to 100 that won't carry too far a 45-70 or .450 Marlin is also a good choice. I used to hunt hogs with a .450. Lots of slow moving lead with huge knockdown power. Plus lever action!

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky Dork
4/18/13 3:59 p.m.
yamaha wrote:
tuna55 wrote: It's not a clip. it's a magazine.
+1, thank you.

Semantics. Such a valid point for this discussion

Which is also why this discussion is as useless as a House or Senate debate.

racerfink
racerfink SuperDork
4/18/13 4:06 p.m.

Nice goal-tending. Can we lock this thread now...

colaboy
colaboy New Reader
4/18/13 4:09 p.m.

Canada Rules!

racerfink wrote: Nice goal-tending. Can we lock this thread now...

Yes.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
4/18/13 4:11 p.m.

To The0retical's point...and I'm really, really trying to stay away, because it seems like there's lots of trolling and not a lot of substance here, I heard one on the radio the other day. It would be a good one for someone who spends all their time arguing on the internet to look up:

Something like 10's of thousands of gun purchases denied nationally every year, but less than 100 convictions, with several thousand that were denied for no reason other than whoever was processing the request berkeleyed it up.

See if your google fu is better than mine. Or don't. Whatever. Sometimes I hope all you guys have guns, so given a long enough timeline, you'll just freaking kill yourselves.

The0retical
The0retical Reader
4/18/13 4:25 p.m.

Poopshovel: I'm really not trolling. I shouldn't have placed the " or attempting to buy a gun" and it's edited to reflect that. Background checks get screwed up yes, but according to my googlefu having a firearm as a felon is a class C felony punishable by up to 10 years in prison. I'd be surprised if any of them ever got 10 years.

The average for a straw buyer, provided it is less than 12 guns, gets 2 to 2.5 years with a max of 10.

That's absurd in my book. Of course I'm the guy that feels that a parent should be punished if their child gets a hold of a gun that should be locked up or in the parents control at all times too.

Okay I'm done here. I'll just continue to write my senators.

Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
4/18/13 4:26 p.m.
yamaha wrote: In reply to rebelgtp: If you go blackout, I'm still convinced that in a pinch .30 carbine will fire in it, slightly fire forming the .30 brass though.

yikes! i'll let you try that in your gun first!

just got notice today that my 300BLK barrel shipped. now to start looking for handguards and gas block....

yamaha
yamaha UltraDork
4/18/13 5:38 p.m.

In reply to Strizzo:

.30 carbine is a couple thousandths shorter in case length, and they taper down from nearly 9mm in the back to 7.62. Almost the same taper as those shortened 5.56 cases(known as 300 blackout). I'll take a picture of the two spent cases tonight for proof.

Cone junky, its never personal, its just a magazine. Most of us are fed up with hearing "clips" "clips" and more "clips" everywhere. I correct my friends, coworkers, random people at gun stores, etc. I am not trolling, nor am I attempting to be a dick, but simply educating those who misunderstand that.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
4/18/13 5:53 p.m.

@the0retical: I was agreeing with you

The0retical
The0retical Reader
4/18/13 6:31 p.m.

In reply to poopshovel:

Man did I read that wrong. Guess I need stronger coffee.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
4/18/13 6:40 p.m.
Most of us are fed up with hearing "clips" "clips" and more "clips" everywhere

You mean Dianne Feinstein doesn't know what the berkeley she's talking about? Shocking.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UltraDork
4/18/13 9:03 p.m.

In reply to tuna55:

Not to put to fine a point on it but the standard magazine capacity of a Glock 19 is 15. It is the more compact version of the Glock 17 which holds 17 rounds of 9mm.

tuna55
tuna55 UberDork
4/19/13 2:48 a.m.
rebelgtp wrote: In reply to tuna55: Not to put to fine a point on it but the standard magazine capacity of a Glock 19 is 15. It is the more compact version of the Glock 17 which holds 17 rounds of 9mm.

You're right.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse HalfDork
4/19/13 6:56 a.m.

I admit, I've caught myself using "clips" and "magazines" interchangeably. In common parlance, they are generally accepted to be interchangeable, although technically, no, they are not the same. I'm torn over whether this is a semantic issue or one that needs to be clarified for the purposes of this discussion. Probably the latter, since as tuna rightly points out, most of the people engaging this discussion on the public airwaves seem to have never owned a firearm, shot a firearm, held a firearm, looked at a firearm, or seen a blurry picture of a firearm in a newspaper.

But don't get me started on the whole "wheels" versus "rims" thing...

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Dork
4/19/13 7:40 a.m.

I dont think I've seen or heard of a stripper clip over 10 rounds, so they can ban all the nonexistent high capacity clips they want.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltraDork
4/19/13 7:52 a.m.
The0retical wrote: Also Bobzilla: M1A is a fantastic rifle I've got one with a bunch of really dangerous hand grips on it from Troy Industries. If you're looking for something for 25 to 100 that won't carry too far a 45-70 or .450 Marlin is also a good choice. I used to hunt hogs with a .450. Lots of slow moving lead with huge knockdown power. Plus lever action!

You know, I've always wanted a .45-70.... but I know next to nothing about them... maybe it's time to look into them now.

I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE a winchester '73 in .45-70 with the 20" bbl. There's just something about the '73 that is pure sex to me when compared to it's dowdy child the '94.

yamaha
yamaha UltraDork
4/19/13 10:25 a.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

45-70 is almost useless in Indiana.....its too big to hunt deer with.

That said, I'll still own one sooner or later. I just need a 45 colt single action to match my .45 rossi lever.

yamaha
yamaha UltraDork
4/19/13 10:28 a.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: I dont think I've seen or heard of a stripper clip over 10 rounds, so they can ban all the nonexistent high capacity clips they want.

And that my friend is the biggest difference. As it was always explained to me, a magazine is something(whether enclosed, fixed, or detachable) that holds ammunition in an enclosed space.

"Clips" are not enclosed, and except for a few exceptions(mainly older bolt action rifles), cannot be loaded into a weapon directly.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden SuperDork
4/19/13 10:32 a.m.

The M-1, designed by John Garrand, uses an 8 round en bloc clip. Best darned rifle that I have ever owned. Also the only one that uses a true clip.

Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
4/19/13 10:41 a.m.
yamaha wrote: In reply to Strizzo: .30 carbine is a couple thousandths shorter in case length, and they taper down from nearly 9mm in the back to 7.62. Almost the same taper as those shortened 5.56 cases(known as 300 blackout). I'll take a picture of the two spent cases tonight for proof. Cone junky, its never personal, its just a magazine. Most of us are fed up with hearing "clips" "clips" and more "clips" everywhere. I correct my friends, coworkers, random people at gun stores, etc. I am not trolling, nor am I attempting to be a dick, but simply educating those who misunderstand that.

i googled some pics of the two, it does look like they're nearly the same, with the blackout having the bottleneck. i didn't realize how much taper there was to the 30 carbine cartridge. it would probably fire at least once.

yamaha
yamaha UltraDork
4/19/13 10:47 a.m.

In reply to pilotbraden:

that is another exception, as stated though, the 8 rounds are held non-surrounded. Like for example, the M1 carbine uses 15 rd box magazines.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mHTZ6SaJU9WFTn58tRzZkjb5ku2aa1otJBVeILjlfvNYZmgYN0UIusVn5BpXUeSa