1 2 3
NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/16/22 9:40 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) :

1000% that is a remove with Sawzall reinstall with PEX if I have ever seen one. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/16/22 10:35 a.m.

I personally avoid copper after realizing how much of it dissolves into the water depending on the chemistry of the water.  Mom and dad had their copper replaced with PEX when a water test showed their copper levels were sky high, likely due to the water softener and the hot water baseboard heat.   Think about the inside of a copper/brass radiator and how it looks after 15 years.

The short story is that copper is reactive.  It can combine with sulfur, magnesium, ionic salts, and dozens of other things in water to pull copper ions out of the metal.  PEX avoids that since it is not reactive to most things.

I'm not saying that copper is the debbil, just that some water compositions can make it a problem.

lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
12/16/22 11:40 a.m.
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) said:

What in the world. Did they have galanized tee's just lying around, and it was too far of a drive for copper tees? maybe planning on removing it later, without remembering rust exists? What trauma did this plumber go through to decide this was the right way? 

What NY Nick said. The only solution is a sawzall and some pex crimpers. I do not envy your home rehabilitation if this "plumber" did other projects too. 

I would punch some holes to run it through the rafters. easy supports, and not hanging down.  Although if its a crawlspace I guess it doesnt make too much of a difference. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
12/16/22 11:43 a.m.

THAT'S why I mentioned galvanized earlier. 

I saw things exactly like that hundreds of times when I lived in PA.  

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/16/22 11:43 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) :

That reminds me of the plumbing in my ex's house. An unholy mess of brass, copper and galvanized steel installed over the decades since plumbing was added to the house. Originally it only had a well - we found it under the floor in the kitchen addition that was built in the 70's.  

My own house isn't much better - at least it's mostly copper, but due to crap water quality, the pipes have started to corrode badly and all of the shut-off valves I dare not touch until I'm equipped to close the street valve - which is the newest part of the system - replaced by the utility a few years ago.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
12/16/22 12:08 p.m.

It's very common in the Northeast. 

DrMikeCSI
DrMikeCSI Reader
12/17/22 8:27 a.m.

That is a really bizarre collection of fittings. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kCRcwlpumMDB84nssLaTn51iCeiyr7QbW7fOF7O53dPhoW8eFOei4HZObodtITxM