BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/14/13 8:59 a.m.

While where's on the subject of symphonic metal vocalists:

ex-Xandria vocalist Lisa Middelhauve.

BoxheadTim
2/14/13 9:10 a.m.

Metal doesn't get more symphonic than this - Within Temptation with the Metropole Orchestra:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDhbewTR_vg&list=SPA93FBFFB92366058&index=13

One of my favourite songs from that album (Black Symphony, highly recommended).

It's a pity that symphonic metal is so underground in the US that a lot of the European artists rarely, if ever tour over here. I've seen WT live (opening for Iron Maiden) and I'd like to take SWMBO to see them too, but that will probably require flying to Europe. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

BoxheadTim
2/14/13 9:18 a.m.
gamby wrote: I should add that it's interesting that this is so far underground here, yet they have 3 million+ hits on the clip for "Faster". She's beautiful and has a damn fine voice. This would have been mainstream in the late 80's. Sad that there's no mainstream demand for this stuff Stateside. I guess like the indie crowd, the metal crowd is loyal and supportive of its artists, so at least they can still make a living.

The funny thing is that Symphonic Metal is popular in a few European countries and very underground in others (like the UK), too. OK, it's mostly the countries where Metal in general is popular (Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, Italy and the Scandinavian countries), but it seems to be a very regional thing.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant SuperDork
2/14/13 9:30 a.m.

My idea of "Women of Metal":

gamby
gamby PowerDork
2/15/13 12:29 a.m.
slefain wrote: Might as well toss Charlotte from DeLain in there for good measure: And Ji-In Cho from Krypteria:

WOW. Wacka waka

Ji-In Cho--pretty rad. Korean-German metal chick. There's a niche. She might be the only one on the planet in that niche!

SO German!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKv38Hu9K0w

It's a shame that women with "big" voices are relegated to country or pop in the States.

gamby
gamby PowerDork
2/15/13 12:37 a.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: Metal doesn't get more symphonic than this - Within Temptation with the Metropole Orchestra: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDhbewTR_vg&list=SPA93FBFFB92366058&index=13 One of my favourite songs from that album (Black Symphony, highly recommended). It's a pity that symphonic metal is so underground in the US that a lot of the European artists rarely, if ever tour over here.

Yeah, that's a BIG production. Those shows have a TON of overhead. More than a mainstream draw Stateside Wild to see the crowds they draw and yet they'd be anonymous here.

This isn't my cup of tea, but I respect it. I've taught so many young metalheads that I can truly admire the passion for this music. Metal fans are the most devoted, passionate, serious fans around.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
2/18/13 11:15 p.m.

I finally got a chance to listen to Within Temptation... I really, really wanted to like this... I really did. But instead I was left disappointed.

Just adding strings and keyboards to distorted guitars does not make something symphonic metal. Even calling them metal is a big stretch. Basic rock, really. I've heard country artists sound more metal. Hell, early Pat Benatar is more aggressive sounding.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hUDL7XjWkp5UIxGbTC3LDxCToiqJzOjeHF2R538DEHb2rIG8O6FS5w5YXyCqTFZc