Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette Reader
3/13/09 3:02 p.m.

I guess we cannot do Pot luck dinners because food is not cooked in a sanitized kitchen . All food brought in by Grand mas and home cooked pot luck has been banned here in my county . All VFW s , Moose , Eagles , Elks , Lions clubs ect............ This is mind numbing

The article today, “Clubs out of luck,” made me wonder if some so-called public servants don’t carry the letter of the law so far as to interfere with the intent. I don’t see how a gathering of friends and neighbors, to share food they prepared in their homes, can be a violation of any law. If they were selling the food I might agree, but they are merely getting together in good fellowship to share a meal and discuss the concerns of the day.

I wonder if Will Bryant, acting director of Environmental Health, perhaps shouldn’t find some more productive use of his time besides harassing people needlessly. Or maybe if all else fails, the Civic Club should change its name so as to avoid the use of the word “civic,” which seems to be what made them subject to this “law,” or else hold their potluck out on the lawn, so as not to be “in” the building, per se.

If this is against the law, then a lot of churches, senior citizens groups, card clubs, etc., will be in trouble as well. This has been going on for centuries and will continue, I’m sure, Mr. Bryant’s ruling notwithstanding

Duke
Duke Dork
3/13/09 3:19 p.m.

I did renovations to an Ukrainian Orthodox church near here, who sold a ton of pierogies and pastries every year. Their kitchen was an appalling mess and the conditions were truly scary.

But I agree, that's a far cry from a pot luck, which is entirely different.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/13/09 3:31 p.m.

Civil Disobedience. That is one law I would ignore. Also a good indicator it's time to move.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
3/13/09 3:44 p.m.

When law enforcement officers show up to enforce the law, just throw pies at them. Lots of pies.

Toyman01
3/13/09 6:00 p.m.
ClemSparks wrote: When law enforcement officers show up to enforce the law, just throw pies at them. Lots of pies.

Yeah or someone usually bring a box of doughnuts to a dinner

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/13/09 6:08 p.m.

FOOD FIGHT!!!

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/13/09 6:27 p.m.

civic disobediance?

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
3/13/09 7:03 p.m.

They've been sporatically enforcing/threatening that one here in Maryland. Not so much the church suppers and potluck suppers, but the banquets where you buy a ticket, the church bazars and bake sales where you buy the food. They have busted folks at them, or more typically shut them down, with police assistance.

A whole lot of the firehall dinners and such are gone now as a result.

Toyman01
3/13/09 7:40 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: civic disobediance?

Politely tell the government to Kiss Your A$$.

MitchellC
MitchellC HalfDork
3/13/09 11:21 p.m.
Karl La Follette wrote: I guess we cannot do Pot luck dinners because food is not cooked in a sanitized kitchen .

Oh please, like most of the food you get at a restaurant is cooked in a "sanitized kitchen."

From the E36 M3 used to fertilize your broccoli to the prep chef using his finger to wipe off the streak of sauce on your plate, food in general is dirty, dirty, dirty. But it's okay, because the human body has its own defenses against these. Those who have serious allergies? Just know that you should play at your own risk.

Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
3/13/09 11:26 p.m.

Years ago, I had a salad in a roadhouse, that contained a wee tiny toad, the size of a fingernail. And he was still alive!

Osterizer
Osterizer HalfDork
3/13/09 11:31 p.m.
Lesley wrote: Years ago, I had a salad in a roadhouse, that contained a wee tiny toad, the size of a fingernail. And he was still alive!

Would you like me to beat the life out of that toad, ma'am?

Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
3/13/09 11:42 p.m.

Haaahaaaaaaa.... no way... I went out back and let him go in the grass. :)

minimac
minimac Dork
3/14/09 6:30 a.m.
Lesley wrote: Years ago, I had a salad in a roadhouse, that contained a wee tiny toad, the size of a fingernail. And he was still alive!

Should of tried to kiss him. Might have turned into your prince! I heard girls have to kiss a lot of horny toads before they find their prince.

sachilles
sachilles Reader
3/14/09 8:53 a.m.

"What are you in for?" "Murder, what about you?" "I brought a key lime pie to my local elks club" "Hard core".

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/14/09 5:39 p.m.

^ pictures the scenes between Charlie Sheen and Jennifer Grey in Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
3/14/09 5:43 p.m.

the only thing i can say is....

thats berkeleying stupid.

porksboy
porksboy HalfDork
3/14/09 6:18 p.m.

What about soup kitchens? I guess they will have to shut down now? Cant have the local bums eating freshly prepared food, they have to eat the spoiled food from the dumpster at the grocery store and fast food dive. Well I guess the fast food was preped in a "propper" kitchen.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vXQq24yIcJGmBumiGG3nLtdM3teLkqid9krFeDfQXqXxkjZpFmS7KfLTsssohFcg