1 2 3
shadetree30
shadetree30 HalfDork
9/10/15 7:13 p.m.

A Bugeye Sprite can fit a 5'10" ginger in a compromising position.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/10/15 7:22 p.m.
Beer Baron wrote: The trunk on an S2000 is exactly big enough to fit two 5-gallon kegs and a 20lbs CO2 cannister. What practical dimensions have you found for your own vehicles?

A car the size of a VW Quantum fits perfectly in my driveway. Anything bigger, not so much.

95" wheelbase is the perfect sweet spot of quick handling and stability.

Knurled
9/10/15 7:24 p.m.
lastsnare wrote: years ago, I worked at a Circuit City loading TVs into peoples' cars. A 2005-ish Toyota Prius with the rear seat folded down, would fit a 50" TV in the back (without having to take it out of the box), and you could still close the hatch. I think it was a plasma...might have been a projection... Whichever kind it was, the box just barely fit lying flat, but it did completely fit.

I fit a rooftop-mounted A/C condenser unit in the back of my RX-7 with the hatch closed, if I tilted the seats forward a bit.

I would MUCH rather drive in a somewhat uncomfortable position than suffer the indignity of having to drive a pickup truck, if at all possible.

Knurled
9/10/15 7:27 p.m.
RossD wrote: A 1988 subaru gl wagon's compartment beneath back area can fit a case of beer and the rear side compartments can hold multiple bottles of booze a piece. I might have had one on high school.

Those hidden compartments were AWESOME. People made fun of the spare tire being under the hood, but the car had a HUGE amount of interior room/storage space for a vehicle its size.

Fit a 42" Mitsubishi projection TV (remember those?) in mine. With the hatch closed.

That is the only time you'd ever see Mitsubishi and Subaru cooperating with each other. Now that I think of it, the TV lost its green projector after a month and the Subaru blew its head gaskets sky-high two months later.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad SuperDork
9/10/15 7:40 p.m.

A 1997 Miata can carry 20 10' pieces of steel conduit home from Lowes. Only one stop required to huddle under an overpass.

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/10/15 7:41 p.m.

I gotta wonder how some of you came up with these combinations of things. Was it a matter of 'well, there's .04 cu ft left, lets see if we can stuff a few wheels in there' ?

A Honda Odyssey will fit driver, 6 high school football players (1440lb worth) and gear bags. Leave the windows open for ventilation! Front AC couldn't pressurize the cockpit; I about hurled on the way home the other day.

A Saab 9000 can carry lots of things: ~25 cases of beer plus hard liquor and wine (wedding day ), a slightly disassembled motorcycle, engines, and various other things I should have had a truck for.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/10/15 9:32 p.m.

An FR-S can hold everything needed for a weeks worth of camping.

asoduk
asoduk Reader
9/10/15 9:33 p.m.

A 944 can fit a case of beer and ice in each of the wells of the trunk. There are drains too! If you fold the seat down it will hold a desk with legs removed or a 26 gallon horizontal air compressor or 6 race tires up to 225 in width.

A Saab 9-3 can fit a section of downspouting going diagonal from trunk to dash. It can also fit 4 adults, luggage, ski gear and a case of wine.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy SuperDork
9/10/15 9:58 p.m.

A 1970 Opel Kadett wagon will hold 5 full-sized kegs with enough ice for all of them and two college students inside and 5 large trash cans nested on the roof rack.

fiesta54
fiesta54 Reader
9/10/15 11:19 p.m.

A mk1 Fiesta can carry 6 intoxicated high schoolers

Mitchell
Mitchell UltraDork
9/11/15 3:15 a.m.

A 3 dr focus can hold:

• 10 cases of bananas
  • 1 partially disassembled motorcycle and spares
  • 450 lb Hobart 30 qt industrial stand mixer, albeit not with the hatch closed.
  • 1 fully assembled wooden desk and a matching wooden chair.
RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UltraDork
9/11/15 6:22 a.m.
shadetree30 wrote: A Bugeye Sprite can fit a 5'10" ginger in a compromising position.

A Morris Mini can fit a 5'6" ginger in many compromising positions.

NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
9/11/15 7:38 a.m.
RealMiniParker wrote:
shadetree30 wrote: A Bugeye Sprite can fit a 5'10" ginger in a compromising position.
A Morris Mini can fit a 5'6" ginger in many compromising positions.

Well, since just getting in and out comprises two of them, well yeah?!

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
9/11/15 7:46 a.m.

A 300SDL can fit a set of Miata race wheels and tires, an air tank, a basic set of tools, and a cheap EZ-Up in the trunk.

The front of a Ridgeline's bed has slight notches up front and a longer bed than the prototype's so you can fit two full-size dirtbikes in the bed with the tailgate down, AND have room to take the ramp out from under the tire.

Early Troopers have a front bumper that is perfectly sized to hold a 9,000 pound winch.

Mustangs have special round storage areas in the center console to hold cans of hair gel.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
9/11/15 7:47 a.m.

Oh, and a 300SDL's trunk is exactly wide enough to hold Tiki Torches.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
9/11/15 8:28 a.m.

The hatch cover in a Focus ZX3 is a perfect diaper changing table.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
9/11/15 9:03 a.m.
captdownshift wrote: A 1st Gen scion xb, with the rear seats folded down can hold 240 sq ft of granite counter top.

holy overload, batman!

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/11/15 9:09 a.m.

The trunk of a second generation Camaro will comfortably fit two dudes, who become far less comfortable after realizing that they are locked in a truck together.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
9/11/15 9:15 a.m.

This thread is awesome.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
9/11/15 9:20 a.m.

A P71 can hold precisely one Officer Farva.

Type Q
Type Q Dork
9/11/15 9:26 a.m.
lastsnare wrote: years ago, I worked at a Circuit City loading TVs into peoples' cars. A 2005-ish Toyota Prius with the rear seat folded down, would fit a 50" TV in the back (without having to take it out of the box), and you could still close the hatch. I think it was a plasma...might have been a projection... Whichever kind it was, the box just barely fit lying flat, but it did completely fit.

A '93 Honda Civic will hold a 52 inch LCD TV still in the box.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden SuperDork
9/11/15 10:12 a.m.

A 1985 VW GTI can hold 9,empty, half barrels of beer, full kegs would fit but I don't want to load them.

RX8driver
RX8driver New Reader
9/11/15 10:25 a.m.

I can fit 4 17x9's with 255/40/17's in the back seat of my RX8 and the trunk fits all the tools, jack and stands, spare brakes, spare fluids, helmet and such needed for a weekend at the track.

Knurled
9/11/15 12:45 p.m.
XLR99 wrote: I gotta wonder how some of you came up with these combinations of things. Was it a matter of 'well, there's .04 cu ft left, lets see if we can stuff a few wheels in there' ?

Wheels go in first. There's a lot of empty space in wheels.

Or you use the wheels to clamshell a single large item. A helmet bag usually fits between two wheels stacked dish to dish, for instance.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
9/11/15 1:17 p.m.

A 1989 Ford Probe can carry a complete set of race tires and all the tools needed for a Challenge event with the back seat folded down. The trunk opening, however, is just a few inches too small to accommodate a complete home door and frame assembly.

You can fit a GS500 motorcycle in the back of a 1990 Suburban, but it has to be on its side, which makes loading... interesting.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2NMYlAd1D8whKFwKLIJPGq53NjhtJp7jqdqbIP1e9KysxKzkLuMEHf2NUfGXvokU