Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/4/08 12:53 a.m.
COLLEGE HILL - Dr. Fredric J. Baur was so proud of having designed the container for Pringles potato crisps that he asked his family to bury him in one. His children honored his request. Part of his remains was buried in a Pringles can - along with a regular urn containing the rest - in his grave at Arlington Memorial Gardens in Springfield Township. ...But the Pringles can - a tube-shaped container designed to hold the salty, stackable, saddle-shaped chip - was his proudest accomplishment, his daughter said. He received a patent for the package as well as the method of packaging Pringles in 1970.

Really, http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080531/NEWS0104/805310357/1060/NEWS01%3Cbr%20/%3E

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/4/08 6:46 a.m.

I miss the old pringles can - the one with the sharp metal edge around the opening. It was always such a challenge trying to get the last few chips out without severing your hand.

integraguy
integraguy New Reader
6/4/08 6:51 a.m.

Having bought Pringles and their biggest competitor: Lay's stackables....or whatever they are called, I prefer the Lay's. The Lay's chips seem thicker (not sure if they really are) and you get fewer chip "slivers" with the Lay's container.
Sorry, I think Dr. Baur had a GOOD invention, but in my opinion Lay's incorporates a better ...solution? One last question...was/will Dr. Baur be buried with the "can" on it's side or standing up? Sorry, just had to ask.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/4/08 8:44 a.m.

I've been irritated with Pringles ever since they changed the cans so you could no longer store the lid on the bottom while you ate it. They were my favorite road trip chip, but now the lid gets lost in the car.

littleturquoiseb
littleturquoiseb Reader
6/4/08 1:39 p.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: I've been irritated with Pringles ever since they changed the cans so you could no longer store the lid on the bottom while you ate it. They were my favorite road trip chip, but now the lid gets lost in the car.

Who re-seals a can of Pringles? If you can't eat them all on one shot, you'er not trying!

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/4/08 1:47 p.m.

I can. I choose not to. Have to leave room for beef jerky and Junior Mints.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/4/08 2:11 p.m.

That peppered jerky from Wal-mart is good stuff. I ate that and some reese's cups. Technically it's meat and vegetable matter so I counted it as lunch.

Nashco
Nashco Dork
6/4/08 2:30 p.m.
integraguy wrote: Having bought Pringles and their biggest competitor: Lay's stackables....or whatever they are called, I prefer the Lay's. The Lay's chips seem thicker (not sure if they really are) and you get fewer chip "slivers" with the Lay's container. Sorry, I think Dr. Baur had a GOOD invention, but in my opinion Lay's incorporates a better ...solution? One last question...was/will Dr. Baur be buried with the "can" on it's side or standing up? Sorry, just had to ask.

It's always easier to improve on an existing design than to come up with a new idea. Of course the new ones are better...they had a few decades to work on methods of improvement. Personally, I don't like either, so the invention is lost on me.

Tim Baxter wrote: I can. I choose not to. Have to leave room for beef jerky and Junior Mints.

Nomad
Nomad New Reader
6/4/08 5:21 p.m.

I'd like to shake the hand of the guy who invented Doritos...

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/4/08 8:30 p.m.
Nomad wrote: I'd like to shake the hand of the guy who invented Doritos...

It probably smells like nachos

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
raPLPNLvv4OCck6XCcYCI9d8aIr6Gd6pPHsIMV1Htu2w7SYWMiK1aV54E76zxcv0