1 2 3
joey48442
joey48442 Dork
1/16/09 11:01 a.m.

I hate it. On the History Channel, Speed, or E!, they are all terrible. All of them.

That is all.

Joey

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Reader
1/16/09 11:12 a.m.

I enjoy Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares.

If that's considered reality tv.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA Dork
1/16/09 11:12 a.m.

I concur. They really bite.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/16/09 11:18 a.m.

Looney Tunes is the only reality TV I watch.

fastEddie
fastEddie Dork
1/16/09 11:43 a.m.

I'm watching Biggest Loser right now with my wife, mainly because we're doing a BL contest through my work. My wife still likes Survivor but that's all the reality shows we watch.

PS - I'm down 13 pounds already!

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Reader
1/16/09 11:46 a.m.

Lower advertising revenues and the low cost of making reality TV guarantees you will be seeing more of it. Why hire actors and writers when you have an endless supply of idiots who will appear on TV for free, or for the cost of a plane ticket and a hotel room for a few days.

Yet another reason to cancel the cable and get your video from Netflix and You Tube.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
1/16/09 11:47 a.m.

I could not BELIEVE the 'High School Reunion' ads. I weep for my country and its people that they are reduced to such drivel as that for 'entertainment'. My daughter even said how ridiculous it seemed to be and she's not even 12.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
1/16/09 1:28 p.m.

Sorry, I must confess I enjoy both Survivor and Amazing Race. OTOH, I can't be happier that Fear Factor has gone the way of BJ and The Bear.

As a guy, I must admit Outback Jack has a tremendous amount of, uh, charm and I really enjoyed Farmer Wants A Wife. That was some funny E36 M3 there.

impulsive
impulsive New Reader
1/16/09 1:35 p.m.
I weep for my country and its people that they are reduced to such drivel as that for 'entertainment'.

dumb shows for dumb people - they wouldn't make them if there wasn't an audience.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
1/16/09 1:39 p.m.

[idiocracy]Next, on the Violence Channel it's "Ow, My Balls!"[/idiocracy]

Idiocracy is funny...but scary

Clem

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/16/09 1:54 p.m.

There's one I watch on MTV right now if I catch it, I can't remember the name of it but it's basically Jackass with some burly guys in some place where it's always snowing.

There are only a few reality shows I've enjoyed:

• Jackass

• Viva la Bam (Jackass specializing in skate/car stuff and pranking Bam's parents)

• Fist of Zen (competition Jackass)

• Scare Tactics (Jackass specializing in freaking people out)

• Room 401 (Same kinda thing as Scare Tactics)

So basically all the good reality shows are Jackass and its spinoffs. All the others utterly suck...I used to watch The Amazing Race but I just got bored of it, and the product placement grew to an offensive level.

I find Ice Road Truckers tolerable but it gets boring pretty fast...the logging one and ice fishing one are pretty boring as well.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Reader
1/16/09 2:18 p.m.

The Real World is tolerable when you want to feel better about yourself as a person.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
1/16/09 2:22 p.m.
impulsive wrote:
I weep for my country and its people that they are reduced to such drivel as that for 'entertainment'.
dumb shows for dumb people - they wouldn't make them if there wasn't an audience.

And that's the terrifying part: popular entertainment is driven by the same people who buy 'Weekly World News' for the hard news.

Kramer
Kramer Reader
1/16/09 3:48 p.m.

I used to work with a guy who was the winner to be on one of MTV's first reality shows, in the early '90's. He won $25,000 and MTV lived in his college apartment for a week. Jenny McCarthy was there every night (but only to do her job).

A friend from high school (small town) was one of the first 25 to be on "Joe Millionaire". She (and everybody else) was duped into thinking it was a reputable show. She didn't make it past the first night (I'm glad).

Sometimes I'll have one on the TV in my workshop. The catfights and sexuality may make me turn my head, but they sure aren't worthy of my full attention.

SupraWes
SupraWes Dork
1/16/09 4:52 p.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote: The Real World is tolerable when you want to feel better about yourself as a person.

It was until I got to be about 28 then I woke up and said, wow this is really dumb.

Biggest Looser is the only one I watch these days. I owe a great deal of my success in weight loss to watching that show, particularly Jillian Michaels, she made things click for me. Went from 230 to 166 in the last 8 months.

I would watch another season of Setup too if there is even one but I no longer have pay tv.

fastEddie
fastEddie Dork
1/16/09 10:19 p.m.

Wes, congrats on the loss. My goal is to go from 226 to 175, so far so good!

MitchellC
MitchellC Reader
1/16/09 11:49 p.m.
SupraWes wrote: Went from 230 to 166 in the last 8 months.

Maybe that's why I barely recognized you when I saw you a month or so back!

gamby
gamby SuperDork
1/17/09 12:53 a.m.

I like contest-based ones

Top Chef Hell's Kitchen started watching Biggest Loser for the first time Project Runway (I'm man enough to admit this) Next Food Network Star Design Star

Kitchen Nightmares is good (the BBC version is better--less over-the-top)

I dunno. (shrugs)

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
1/17/09 1:08 a.m.

my girlfriends friend got me into watching Wife Swap, it can be amusing to see parenting styles compared and contrasted. I also watch Ramsys Kitchen Nightmares on BBCA. aside from that... NO

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado New Reader
1/17/09 1:10 a.m.
ClemSparks wrote: [idiocracy]Next, on the Violence Channel it's "Ow, My Balls!"[/idiocracy] Idiocracy is funny...but scary Clem

Yeah, really scary. I work in TV, and used to say that "Network" was the scariest movie I'd ever seen..because it all came true.

I feel a similar vibe about "Idiocracy".

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
1/17/09 7:32 a.m.

ninja warrior................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................. .............................................................................................................. ................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJmCem8qbTE

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
1/18/09 6:58 a.m.

Oh yeah, another risk to my Guy Card...

I watch "What Not To Wear" on TLC. And I like it. I think it a appeals to me on several levels:

1) I relish sarcasm, and the hosts are dripping with the stuff

2) I like women

3) Much like Overhaulin', I like to see ugly things made beautiful

4) He may be gay, but Nick is an artist with hair. I'm always amazed at what he can perform with even simple transformations.

So is Overhaulin' a reality show? Not a person on here who doesn't dig Foose.

InigoMontoya
InigoMontoya New Reader
1/18/09 9:48 p.m.

On BBCAmerica the newest season of The F Word just started, another Gordan Ramsey one, but honestly, he is so much more civilized on bbc than portrayed on Hells kitchen. And for that alone I enjoy watching it.

Wife watched What not to wear, I don't mind sitting through it.

Overhaulin gets turned on when I can find it, but not on the Tivo currently.

LA Ink, I do like tattoos, but don't have one, some of the stuff they do is great, sometimes I wonder what people are thinking.

Ace of Cakes is on season pass- Hooray Cake!

EricM
EricM Reader
1/18/09 9:56 p.m.

I still watch Survivor, the Amazing Race and the Biggest loser. Well now I am watching true beauty. but that is all

honest! only those four.... really.

Not, I watch just about anything reality. Sorry, I wish I was a better Person.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/18/09 10:56 p.m.

Yesterday I saw a commercial for Toddlers and Tiaras in TLC. It may be the first time an idea for a show made me feel sick.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hEBJDG8k25PzcxS7EwZ77OBvimg3j58VR6rBxUsCWonKMJwfVaw0q6kEF4jEHurn