cwh
cwh SuperDork
11/30/09 7:58 p.m.

OK, this is way beyond bizarre, but we want to cook a goose for the holidays. My sister did it for us years ago, and it was really good. Problem is, I CAN'T FIND A GOOSE!!! Does anybody have a clue where I can buy a goose for Christmas dinner? I'm in Ft. Lauderdale, but am sure somebody can ship here. Any clues or leads will be appreciated by 10 hungry Hanlons. Thanks, all knowing lords of the internet.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/30/09 8:05 p.m.

Geese are hard to find? On Thanksgiving, we headed out into the back yard:

And came back with a Goose:

Easy!

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
11/30/09 8:16 p.m.

go to butcher.

collect goose.

MitchellC
MitchellC HalfDork
11/30/09 8:26 p.m.

Perhaps you could contact one of these vendors: Ft. Lauderdale Meat Vendors

I work at Winn-Dixie, and I have seen meat come in that we don't normally carry on the shelf (like whole pigs). Talk to the meat manager, and he'll let you know if they can get it in. The same goes for any grocery store.

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard GRM+ Memberand SonDork
11/30/09 9:21 p.m.

plus equals

M2Pilot
M2Pilot New Reader
12/1/09 4:20 p.m.

In reply to Tommy Suddard:

Don't know if Harris-Teeter has stores there but I noticed they have frozen geese in their store here in eastern NC.

slefain
slefain Dork
12/1/09 4:24 p.m.

OrangeRazor
OrangeRazor New Reader
12/1/09 4:27 p.m.

If you can't get a goose, try roasting duck instead. Pretty easy to find, not too expensive, and darned tasty.

Whatever you do, make sure you reserve as much extra fat as possible for future cooking. Frying potatoes with duck fat = OM NOM NOM.

cwh
cwh SuperDork
12/1/09 4:32 p.m.

Strange conclusion to this. After spending hours researching and searching, wifey says, why not call our regular store, Penn Dutch Meats? Called, they have 14# geese, 4.99/ pound!! I made this much harder than it had to be. Now, need good recipes. Hint, Hint.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
12/1/09 5:11 p.m.
cwh wrote: Strange conclusion to this. After spending hours researching and searching, wifey says, why not call our regular store, Penn Dutch Meats? Called, they have 14# geese, 4.99/ pound!! I made this much harder than it had to be. Now, need good recipes. Hint, Hint.

I don't know the exact recipe, but I do know that Bacon and Jalapeño's make it taste excellent.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/1/09 5:34 p.m.

Check out Emeril's recipe for duck. Involves a day or two of soaking in brine and an orange glaze. Signature dish at NOLA in the French Quarter. OMG good. HOWEVER this removes most of the "ducky" flavor which some folks oppose.

mndsm
mndsm Reader
12/1/09 5:53 p.m.

Ok, you're in Florida... all the geese in MN fly south for the winter....... where the hell are they going? Ain't no geese here. Should be plenty for the pickin. That being said, wish I'd have known this a few weeks ago, I almost collected several with the front end of my car.

HeavyDuty
HeavyDuty Reader
12/1/09 9:22 p.m.
slefain wrote:

Possibly the best post on this board ever!

cwh
cwh SuperDork
12/1/09 9:42 p.m.

I don't think geese come anywhere near here. Hunting in this area is mainly wild boar, scrawny deer, and gator. I haven't gone hunting in many years, but would like to try for a big wild pig. Of course, they can do as much damage to me as I can to them. Geese aren't like that.

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/2/09 3:27 a.m.

A little late to the party on this one but

did you want one or the whole flock?

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
12/2/09 5:54 a.m.

Are they too greasy to smoke?

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Roast-Goose-with-Oranges-and-Madeira-966

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Scandinavian-Roast-Christmas-Goose-20112

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Roast-Goose-with-Garlic-Onion-and-Sage-Stuffing-819

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/2/09 6:25 a.m.

If you get a properly reared goose and not some weight watchers variety, they are very greasy/fatty. Of course that has the advantage that you can roast them for quite a long time without the meat drying out but I wouldn't want to try and smoke one.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Dork
12/2/09 6:47 a.m.

Seriously? A goose? Pshhh thats weak. You need to step up to the mans table and fix a Turkducken...A de-boned turkey, stuffed with a de-boned duck, stuffed with a de-boned chicken

Prepare one for the family and eat it. After youre finished with dinner and the hair on your chest shows up, come back and give us a report. I'll be waiting over here in man-ville for you once you ditch that weak-ass goose and get your lumberjack on

spitfirebill
spitfirebill Dork
12/2/09 7:26 a.m.

Turducken ain't cheap. My in-laws make them in their meat market and it takes a lot of labor to put that baby together.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
12/2/09 7:29 a.m.
spitfirebill wrote: Turducken ain't cheap. My in-laws make them in their meat market and it takes a lot of labor to put that baby together.

The inventor of the Turducken was onBourdain's show once, he boned all three and wrapped them up in about 8 minutes.

Dan

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
12/2/09 7:38 a.m.
914Driver wrote: The inventor of the Turducken was onBourdain's show once, he boned all three and wrapped them up in about 8 minutes.

Thats nothing. I can be done boning in under 30 seconds usually.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Dork
12/2/09 8:01 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
914Driver wrote: The inventor of the Turducken was onBourdain's show once, he boned all three and wrapped them up in about 8 minutes.
Thats nothing. I can be done boning in under 30 seconds usually.

http://instantrimshot.com/

jeeeessh

mrwillie
mrwillie Reader
12/2/09 3:06 p.m.

In reply to M2Pilot:

Not to thread-jack, but where in Eastern NC do you live? I grew up in Greenville. Don't make it back much, but I still have family in the area.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SmpnmtWrI87cdNaO2TpN4AVTPgfYmTHXEYanJLhtI0v3ZWvgG3BKD0NcynsbMlik