David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/19/13 1:18 p.m.

Tomorrow is Record Store Day. Go buy some new music.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
4/19/13 1:37 p.m.

Deep breath....AAAAHHHHH that's better. May I suggest:

http://hotgraves.bandcamp.com/

Name your own price on the Fashion Victim EP, and get a rad download-only cover of "Yesterday" by Bad Religion!

David S. Wallens
4/19/13 2:00 p.m.

I'm working on my shopping list and, yes, Probot is on it. I also need some more Lee Morgan.

David S. Wallens
4/19/13 2:09 p.m.

And while you're on Bandcamp, I recommend checking out these guys: http://blissband.bandcamp.com

I saw them a bunch while in school. It's aged very well.

dculberson
dculberson SuperDork
4/19/13 3:50 p.m.

Do I have to buy it in a record store or is online okay? I mean, we still have those somewhere. Maybe I should stop in one. But I'll be greasy. Saturday is car day.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade SuperDork
4/19/13 3:58 p.m.

record store?

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
4/19/13 4:03 p.m.

On pimp ass SWIRLY BROWN VINYL here! BAM!

http://biggerboatrecords.bandcamp.com/releases

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/19/13 5:10 p.m.

Man, I think there's only one store in town that only sells music on physical media. But only used, and I'm pretty sure it's just vinyl.

Otherwise, it's WalMart.

dculberson
dculberson SuperDork
4/19/13 5:21 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Man, I think there's only one store in town that only sells music on physical media. But only used, and I'm pretty sure it's just vinyl. Otherwise, it's WalMart.

I was going to wonder if that was even true, as I can name a half dozen places off hand in Columbus. And there are a lot more than just those 6, according to Google. But then I realized, Grand Junction, CO. Right. Population about 75 depending on whether or not the Joneses are on the road at that moment. ;-)

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/19/13 5:30 p.m.

Pbbbth. We have about 100,000 in the valley here.

I asked around the office. Nobody else can think of a second. You can get second-hand CDs at Hastings (an oddball of a store) and new ones at Best Buy. But no other dedicated music stores.

However, there are 3-4 DIY music stores - ie, places to buy instruments. So that's promising.

mtn
mtn PowerDork
4/19/13 5:46 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Pbbbth. We have about 100,000 in the valley here. I asked around the office. Nobody else can think of a second. You can get second-hand CDs at Hastings (an oddball of a store) and new ones at Best Buy. But no other dedicated music stores. However, there are 3-4 DIY music stores - ie, places to buy instruments. So that's promising.

We have 3-4 DIY music stores as well (it is probably more like 5-6, I'm likely leaving out places for Band and orchestra instruments) but the nicest guitar line that any of them carry is Takamine or Yamaha I desperately want a Mom and Pop music store selling Martin, Guild, or Larrivee. On the other hand, we have 3-4 legit music stores. I can see 2 from my apartment window--1 new, 1 used.

Mr_Estrotica
Mr_Estrotica New Reader
4/19/13 6:03 p.m.

Lots of really good stuff at RSD this year. I've got about 12-15 items I really want, but probably wont be able to get. Namely the new Wire album and Group Sounds from RFTC (which I don't own for some reason). Last year I was in Bend OR, and all (2?) shops were nearly deserted, but this year I have to fend for myself with Portland hipsters and neo-hippies.

David S. Wallens
4/19/13 7:58 p.m.

Gotta give a shout-out for my favorite record store, Park Ave. CDs: http://www.parkavecds.com

They're just a few minutes from downtown Orlando.

MA$$hole
MA$$hole HalfDork
4/19/13 8:26 p.m.

I will be seeking out The Atlas Moth/Wolvhammer split. Wolvhammer does an amazing cover of The Cure's "Burn".

David S. Wallens
4/19/13 8:31 p.m.

I still haven't opened everything I bought during my last record store outing--two weeks ago, almost--but I'm just about ready for tomorrow.

alex
alex UltraDork
4/20/13 12:35 a.m.

I really like the idea behind getting people into record stores, since I'm a fan of record stores and I want them to continue to thrive. But RSD has come to annoy me. For instance, my store with the best selection of RSD releases announced at 10:20 tonight that the first person was already in line. And I'd put 10:1 odds on that guy being an eBay flipper.

The way the labels limit the stock to drive up prices is Beanie Baby-esque. My store orders ten of something, they tell folks they hope to get ten, and the label issues two, and a bunch of people have stood in line for nothing.

There's exactly one release that I really want this year, and I'm hoping it's obscure enough that I can score it after RSD either in a store or from the artist when he comes through town.

I like to make every day Record Store Day. Or at least, every day that I'm foolish enough to drive by one.

David S. Wallens
4/20/13 9:36 p.m.

Well, a good Record Store Day. An Orlando punk band, The Attack, planned a six-stop, one-day tour of Florida record shops, starting up near Jacksonville and ending in St. Pete. Pics: https://www.facebook.com/TheAttackFL?hc_location=stream

I made three of the stops--St. Augustine, Daytona and Orlando. It was just the guitarist and singer doing an acoustic set, and it was total punk rock: show up in the van, mingle for a bit, do their songs, and then hit the road again. According to their Facebook page they covered 450 miles today. (I'm guessing that means they started from Orlando, not Jax.) They also released a 7-inch single today (got it) plus did a cool retro postcard-like poster (I got #100 out of the 100 printed).

I figured I'd pace myself, buying one thing from each store. I picked up a Lee Morgan CD in St. Augustine, and got to Daytona kinda late--had to stop and let the dogs out. No problem, I figured, I'd load up in Orlando. When I got there around 1:00, the line to get inside weaved through their parking lot and into the one next-door. Fortunately the band played outside in the parking lot.

Still, nice to see people so passionate about their music.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
4/20/13 9:47 p.m.

NICE WORK DUDE!!!

FranktheTank
FranktheTank Reader
4/20/13 9:53 p.m.

My GF went today in Nashville and met a member of the Raconteurs and a few other folks that were allegedly famous but not famous enough for me to pay attention to the conversation.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit HalfDork
4/21/13 7:52 a.m.

We are lucky around B-more we have three to chose from.

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
4/23/13 12:12 a.m.

I think I will.

A couple of things I've been meaning to pick up:

The new Wild Belle and The Visioneers--Dirty Old Hip Hop.

novaderrik
novaderrik UberDork
4/23/13 1:20 a.m.

just the fact that they have to resort to something called "record store day" to get people to go to a store to buy music tells me that they are a dying thing that people just need to recognize that they are obsolete and let them go away gracefully..

in other words, they are the panda of the retail world..

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
4/23/13 12:14 p.m.

I got myself an early Record Store Day present last Thursday night. at the Fu Manchu show that I went to

The Action Is Go 2LP limited pressing in weirdo psychedelic print, they were only selling it on tour. Sounds KILLER.

Record Store Day is cool. It's geared toward independent shops rather than the big chains (if there are even any left) and it's all about fan service. I dig it.

David S. Wallens
4/24/13 1:16 p.m.

I turned my Record Store Day outing into a project car update: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/project-cars/1984-porsche-911-carrera/rock-star/

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yegfHlZHp1G6IfsrZxfjefQrJZWRRO4HkEnpOW174FMJuMP5NbFIxHDu6rwYJTXu