1 2 3 4 5
walterj
walterj HalfDork
11/13/08 10:53 a.m.
Autolex wrote: sooo, a stoner runs over a little kid. how does the cop tell if he is currently seeing starfish in the sky, just a little high, or smoked last week? orr.... is it all just going to be DUI (of anything). as in visibly impaired?

You can tell because he would only be going about 7 miles per hour.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
11/13/08 10:57 a.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: My favorite joke: "What does a hippy say when he stops smoking pot? Man, this music sucks!"

That's awesome.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
11/13/08 11:04 a.m.

(looks around furtively, checks statute of limitations)

I have an old friend who is a cokehead. He is nuts for the stuff, it's a constant battle for him every day. I haven't seen him in a few years but mutual friends tell me he's staying clean. He and I did some one day and ya know what? Other than an increased heart rate, I didn't have any real effects. We were both snorting the same stuff on the same day but with dramatically different results.

That was several years ago and I've not tried it again since. The disparity in our reactions seems to indicate that different people are affected in vastly different ways by the same substance. So maybe there could be a link to mental problems in some people who use pot but not others.

The recent human genome mapping project indicates that we all share 99.9% of our DNA. That vital .1% appears to be responsible for a lot of our differences, including possibly drug reactions which could very well include pot.

walterj
walterj HalfDork
11/13/08 11:15 a.m.

The points against legalization so far are:

• smoking is bad for you
  • It will lead to the legalization of 'hard' drugs
  • People will get high and accidentally kill you by driving over you or getting you caught in a combine.

So, I will address these, in order:

• brownies are awesome
  • no, it won't
  • crime is a seperate issue that we already have laws for. Negligence is still negligence, DUI still DUI (which is really just negligence packaged for municipal profiteering). The difference is that you would take people out of prison who were guilty of imbibing and hurting noone and replace them with the same people who would have committed the crime drinking a 6 pack or popping a fistful of perk and driving. People who don't think or care about you don't change because they smoke weed - they just drive slower :)
aircooled
aircooled Dork
11/13/08 11:27 a.m.
Jensenman wrote: ...The disparity in our reactions seems to indicate that different people are affected in vastly different ways by the same substance. So maybe there could be a link to mental problems in some people who use pot but not others....

I believe that is well know already. I once new someone who had tried coke... it put him to sleep!!!! I suspect he has some sort of (mild) form of a manic personality. With such cases (as with ADD kids) stimulants can actually have an opposite affect than to "normal" people.

Yes, generalization is usually not a good idea...

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
11/13/08 11:29 a.m.
walterj wrote: - crime is a seperate issue that we already have laws for. Negligence is still negligence, DUI still DUI (which is really just negligence packaged for municipal profiteering). The difference is that you would take people out of prison who were guilty of imbibing and hurting noone and replace them with the same people who would have committed the crime drinking a 6 pack or popping a fistful of perk and driving. People who don't think or care about you don't change because they smoke weed - they just drive slower :)

The one really valid point I've heard on this, is the question of determining a DUI for marijuana. It's easy to determine a DUI for alcohol, because you can test BAC quickly and easily. If alcohol is in your system, it's effecting you. When it's done effecting you, it will have left your system.

Marijuana chemicals remain in your system for an extended period of time, even after the effect of the drug has worn off. There is no good way to quantifiably test someone for how much they are under the influence of marijuana.

If they cause an accident, that will be easy to prosecute. But it might be more difficult to prosecute someone for a DUI.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
11/13/08 11:33 a.m.
aircooled wrote: I believe that is well know already. I once new someone who had tried coke... it put him to sleep!!!! I suspect he has some sort of (mild) form of a manic personality. With such cases (as with ADD kids) stimulants can actually have an opposite affect than to "normal" people.

I had a friend with ADHD whose body reacted to chemicals in weird ways like that. Alcohol did not get him drunk. But he could suffer from alcohol poisoning.

If he had a bunch of caffeine and sugar it would make him lethargic, groggy, and giddy. I have seen him get "drunk" on snickers and Coca-Cola.

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
11/13/08 11:34 a.m.
walterj wrote:
Autolex wrote: sooo, a stoner runs over a little kid. how does the cop tell if he is currently seeing starfish in the sky, just a little high, or smoked last week? orr.... is it all just going to be DUI (of anything). as in visibly impaired?
You can tell because he would only be going about 7 miles per hour.

I have this friend who drives REAAAALLY carefully while stoned. Not so much when he has a few 7 & 7's in him. (shiftyeyes)

An interesting point got over-looked on "testing." In the state of Georgia, (as I would guess is the case in most states,) you can refuse to do a field-sobriety test, and refuse to "blow" (breathalizer,) of course, this gets you a "Go directly to jail" card, where you'll eventually be tested, but you're not stacking up evidence against yourself by taking a test that's designed to make you fail.

Anyway, short of MANDATORY field sobriety tests, how would a cop (or the state) test for impairment due to use of marijuana or other drugs?

EDIT: Just saw Salanis's post along the same lines.

PubBurgers
PubBurgers HalfDork
11/13/08 12:19 p.m.
HiTempguy wrote:
Generally pot smoker smoke FAR less than a cig smoker
Thanks for providing YOUR "opinion" on that point, how about some fact with it?

Let's say i hypothetically smoke a bowl a day, most hypothetical people would consider me a "heavy user". Even smoking that much it nowhere near approaches the amount of cigarettes i used to smoke (1/2-1 pack a day).

Given the option i would most definitely hypothetically purchase my goods from a reputable legal source.

As with any other drug, be it caffeine, sugar, alcohol, etc. you will have people that abuse it, these people tend to be the vocal minority.

And seriously, if i want to come home, smoke a bowl and watch Star Trek after work, why shouldn't i be allowed to? Who am i hurting?

walterj
walterj HalfDork
11/13/08 12:27 p.m.
Salanis wrote: The one really valid point I've heard on this, is the question of determining a DUI for marijuana. It's easy to determine a DUI for alcohol, because you can test BAC quickly and easily. If alcohol is in your system, it's effecting you. When it's done effecting you, it will have left your system. Marijuana chemicals remain in your system for an extended period of time, even after the effect of the drug has worn off. There is no good way to quantifiably test someone for how much they are under the influence of marijuana. If they cause an accident, that will be easy to prosecute. But it might be more difficult to prosecute someone for a DUI.

This is why it is a separate issue from legalization... I hear what you are saying but its the same problem we have now... people still smoke weed, take painkillers, leave the bar hammered and so on. The 'fallout' argument is bogus because the problem exists right now and is dealt with every day by law enforcement.

aircooled
aircooled Dork
11/13/08 12:43 p.m.
Salanis wrote: ....Marijuana chemicals remain in your system for an extended period of time, even after the effect of the drug has worn off. There is no good way to quantifiably test someone for how much they are under the influence of marijuana....

I would think you would have to do a straight "impairment" test. Test the person to see if they can perform tasks that show that they are capable of driving. If it is a good measure, then it doesn't matter what you are on.

As a side point, using BAC to measure impairment is actually potentially very false. You can have a high BAC (say hours later) and have very little impairment, while you can be absolutely sloshed (drink quickly when dehydrated and hungry) and still be under the BAC limit.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
11/13/08 12:46 p.m.
PubBurgers wrote: As with any other drug, be it caffeine, sugar, alcohol, etc. you will have people that abuse it, these people tend to be the vocal minority.

Sugar isn't a drug.

walterj
walterj HalfDork
11/13/08 12:50 p.m.
Salanis wrote:
PubBurgers wrote: As with any other drug, be it caffeine, sugar, alcohol, etc. you will have people that abuse it, these people tend to be the vocal minority.
Sugar isn't a drug.

But it is a key ingredient in one of my most favored drugs... IPA.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
11/13/08 12:55 p.m.
walterj wrote: But it is a key ingredient in one of my most favored drugs... IPA.

Off topic: If you can, track down some Big Daddy IPA. Best hops I've ever tasted.

Autolex
Autolex Reader
11/13/08 12:56 p.m.

any molecule that can affect blood and brain chemistry is a drug. some are more potent than others.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/13/08 1:10 p.m.

o2 is a drug?

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
11/13/08 1:20 p.m.

^^ Ain't that the truth. Sugar level can most definitely affect blood and brain chemistry and under the right conditions in certain people it can lead to short term behavior best called odd. I know because I'm one of them. All that needs to happen is for me to eat a light dinner, then the next morning eat a jelly donut. I have learned to stay away from those things. It's weird that coke had little to no effect but a sugar buzz makes me nutty for a little while.

MitchellC
MitchellC Reader
11/13/08 1:38 p.m.

Caffeine doesn't exactly make me energetic, but it makes me much more optimistic.

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
11/13/08 1:46 p.m.
would think you would have to do a straight "impairment" test. Test the person to see if they can perform tasks that show that they are capable of driving.

See my post on the last page. Again, "Field Sobriety" tests are optional in Georgia. I would assume the same is true for the rest of the country, and I'd like to keep it that way. Plenty of sober, law-abiding citizens have been locked up for DUI's because they voluntarily took a test that was designed to make them fail.

Quick! Stand on your left leg and recite your ABC's backwards, stop at the letter "J," switch feet, recite the ABC's forward starting from the letter "F" while rubbing your stomach!

WalterJ brings up an interesting point though. How are we testing for the use of Painkillers, Mushrooms, Pot, etc. now?

Personally, I'd be OK with a Gran Turismo competition, racing against the arresting officer. The accused gets to pick the track. Seriously.

MitchellC
MitchellC Reader
11/13/08 3:01 p.m.

Also, how does the impairment of marijuana compare to that of alcohol? Should it be treated the same as driving under the influence of alcohol?

Autolex
Autolex Reader
11/13/08 3:21 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: Personally, I'd be OK with a Gran Turismo competition, racing against the arresting officer. The accused gets to pick the track. Seriously.

yeah, then basically, as long as I can still see, I will not get a dui!

captainzib
captainzib Reader
11/13/08 3:49 p.m.
MitchellC wrote: Also, how does the impairment of marijuana compare to that of alcohol? Should it be treated the same as driving under the influence of alcohol?

There is no question that it impairs you, but the difference between mj and alcohol is how self aware you become. The main reason why stoned drivers generally drive so slow and attempt to be careful is paranoia. They are aware of their state of mind, and (over)compensate for it.

It's much more common for a drunk person to exclaim they are not drunk, but I've never met a stoned person that didn't admit to being stoned.

It's really tough to explain. I would really be interested in a Mythbusters-style auto-x test. Six drivers of similar experience level and body styles, 2 sober, 2 with x number of drinks in them, and 2 who smoked the same amount of marijuana. I would then like see them take road tests that have cone spotters who randomly, yet consistenly toss cones in front of their moving vehicles. These cones would get tossed at the same points on the track, but no drivers get to watch the other drivers prior to their run.

aircooled
aircooled Dork
11/13/08 4:01 p.m.

Mythbuster! Hell, sounds like something to add to the next Challenge!

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
11/13/08 4:05 p.m.

I have heard it said that marijuana does not directly impair driving skills significantly. You do not lose coordination or reaction time to the degree you do with alcohol.

However, your attention and ability to multi-task becomes very limited. If there is a distraction that you turn your attention to, you will be completely unaware of what the car is doing, and not realize that your attention is so limited. Also, you will not be as likely to notice upcoming hazards directly outside your point of focus.

But I will reiterate that I do not know much about this subject.

I think the test of relative impairment would be a valuable one. Add "talking on a cellphone" to the list.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
11/13/08 4:13 p.m.
captainzib wrote:
MitchellC wrote: Also, how does the impairment of marijuana compare to that of alcohol? Should it be treated the same as driving under the influence of alcohol?
There is no question that it impairs you, but the difference between mj and alcohol is how self aware you become. The main reason why stoned drivers generally drive so slow and attempt to be careful is paranoia. They are aware of their state of mind, and (over)compensate for it. It's much more common for a drunk person to exclaim they are not drunk, but I've never met a stoned person that didn't admit to being stoned. It's really tough to explain. I would really be interested in a Mythbusters-style auto-x test. Six drivers of similar experience level and body styles, 2 sober, 2 with x number of drinks in them, and 2 who smoked the same amount of marijuana. I would then like see them take road tests that have cone spotters who randomly, yet consistenly toss cones in front of their moving vehicles. These cones would get tossed at the same points on the track, but no drivers get to watch the other drivers prior to their run.

This has already been done. Here's an Aussie test:

http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/Misc/driving/driving2_4.htm

One of their conclusions:

"Very importantly our city driving study showed that drivers who drank alcohol overestimated their performance quality whereas those who smoked marijuana underestimated it. Perhaps as a consequence, the former invested no special effort for accomplishing the task whereas the latter did, and successfully. This evidence strongly suggests that alcohol encourages risky driving whereas THC encourages greater caution, at least in experiments. "

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
s0RLZlAHX9ykmB1euTNr4D0HhUCA4qq1lVHXBZVbveCdnhPnrExagPqXJpWyQmVg