pheller
pheller UltimaDork
9/23/24 12:34 p.m.

A few years back I picked up a double decker Husky toolbox like this:

56 in. 23-Drawer Tool Chest and Rolling Cabinet Set 18 Ga. Steel 22 in. D,  Textured Black Matte

I love it. It's substantially organized my tools and kept my garage less cluttered. It houses all my automotive tools and bike tools, which has filled it up quick. 

Now I want to do the same thing for my "trades" tools. I have them in packout boxes currently, which makes no sense because I don't take my tools anywhere. 

Are there any rolling toolboxes like this that focus more on 12" deep drawers with only a few shallow drawers?  

Something like this isn't ideal because I don't need that many shallow drawers:

Kobalt 56-in W x 65.5-in H 15-Drawer Steel Tool Cabinet (Black)

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
9/23/24 12:58 p.m.
93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UberDork
9/23/24 1:37 p.m.

Cruise around for some Lista or Stanley Vidmar cabinets being sold as take-outs.  They offer a lot of configurations, one I see popular is all big drawers but maybe not the HUGE drawers you are after.  You would need to put a frame with some casters under it if its gotta roll.  

Is this an option?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/8340778446037392/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A374ef036-43cc-486e-b03b-4bdb23b0c818

If you have deep pockets, Snap-on will build you any box you want.  All big drawers, all little drawers, little drawers below the big drawers, etc etc.  Their slides are all on rails so the boxes are modular.  Only thing you have to respect is the boxes with a full width top drawer, those cant be relocated.  Everything else is configurable.  

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/23/24 1:59 p.m.

Maybe a side-mount cabinet?  I've often seen tools stored in those without cases.  

H-F sells one for $400: https://www.harborfreight.com/22-in-end-locker-series-3-black-70348.html

You could replace the factory shelves with plywood versions customized to hold your tools.  Like slots to hang drills via the battery hilts.  Cut-outs so a circular saw can sit flat on a shelf, etc.  I see a lot of similar ideas in wood working storage articles. 

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
9/23/24 10:32 p.m.

In reply to 93gsxturbo :

Those, like you said, are fully configurable. Although the one linked is probably 3-4 times that new, they were readily available (if ya knew where to look) for half that, last time I got some. 
so that's probably a good deal, today crying

But yea; expensive, but much better than custom snap on, I'd imagine!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
B9v1Cmalw7UYM0e1GW1r3NxMimXYsg7zQrvQP6m1u3imHchRmOrY6BimM7I6rdSz