1 2
xflowgolf
xflowgolf Reader
9/14/12 1:19 p.m.

Do you know the factory service schedule for your cars? Do you follow it?

Now I wash and occasionally wax our cars. Change the oil/filter as recommended, and even throw an air filter in it from time to time. But I certainly don't follow it all to a T.

For example, a schedule relevant to my wife's Volvo is here: https://pictures.dealer.com/volvooflisle/2006_maint.pdf

Things I have not done: replace brake fluid every 37,500 miles
replace cabin air filter every 15K check/adjust parking brake every 15K replace spark plugs every 60K

Is this a case where car guys (and gals) do maintenance better than most? ...or is it a case of car guys knowing what really does and doesn't need to get done (like an electrician with patched together wiring in his own home, plumber with cobbled pipes, etc.)

Where do you fall?

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
9/14/12 1:26 p.m.

When it comes to brakes on a street only vehicle, I'm a replace every two years kinda guy. When I had my sportbike it was once per year.

Oil changes, follow schedule.

I'm inbetween you and the manual.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
9/14/12 1:36 p.m.

Oil changes and transmission fluid, I stay within the manual's 'severe' recommendations. On the Trooper, I cut the 60k trans service to 30k because I tow with it. Coolant, I go by condition. Timing belt, the manual. Have never changed the brake fluid, but the reservoir is clean (no black mung). Spark plugs, the manual.

On the Jensen Healey I cut the 24k t/b interval (not a misprint, that's for real) to ~12k 'cuz they do bend very expensive valves! Oil change on it once a year because it doesn't rack up enough miles.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/14/12 1:39 p.m.

I change oil on or ahead of schedule, brake fluid when it gets dark or if it's been boiled, brake pads when they're noticeably low, cabin air filter never (as if I could find one), and tires when they're bald, crusty or over 5 years old, whichever comes first.

Oh spark plugs and handbrake I don't touch unless they give trouble. Maybe once a year I'll pull a plug and if it looks OK I put it right back in. Once I set the handbrake I generally don't have to mess with it again until new pads go in.

I used to wash the cars weekly but the paint's trashed now so who cares.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
9/14/12 1:40 p.m.

I use the best and put it off until I have to.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
9/14/12 1:42 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote: I use the best and put it off until I have to.

pretty much the same.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/14/12 2:06 p.m.

I use synthetic oil (it's not necessary on any of our vehicles) and usually change it every 3-5k, depending on how we're using the vehicle (short trips, long trips, towing, etc.). I usually follow the manufacturer's severe schedule on transmission and differential fluid, whether my usage warrants that or not. Brakes get done when they're needed, as to cabin and air filters. Spark plugs are per the manual, as is coolant. Adjusting the parking brake is something I only do on an as-needed basis...

On the balance, I'd say I end up generally following the recommendations, but if I end up doing the 90K service at 95K, I don't stress about it. We depend pretty heavily on our vehicles to get us to/from work and to cart around the kids, so in general I try to be proactive instead of reactive. One of the reasons I do my own oil changes is so I can get under the vehicles and check for leaks, worn bushings, etc.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 UltraDork
9/14/12 2:09 p.m.

I started using synthetic oil just because I don't feel as bad pushing changes off to about 5 or 6 k.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/14/12 2:54 p.m.

The oil in my personal stuff gets changed once a year or 5000 miles, whichever comes first. The oil on the work truck gets it every 5000-10000 miles depending on how busy I am. Air filters get changed when I think to check them and find enough dirt to plant a garden. Brake fluid gets changed when I do the brakes. Brakes get done when metal hits metal, not the squealers, the pad backing. Transmissions never get serviced. Plugs get changed when it starts to misfire. Antifreeze never gets changed.

I don't think I've ever actually read the recommendations on any car. I probably won't start now. If it ain't broke, I don't fix it. If it is broke and doesn't affect the driveability of the car, I probably won't fix that either. You probably don't want to buy one of my daily drivers. I buy them used and cheap, drive them into the ground or until they piss me off and junk them.

Edit: Well, not quite, but close. The wife just wrecked her Venture. It's got almost 230K on it. I'm thinking of building a Lemons car out of it. A fitting demise for a well used, well abused people carrier it think.

The above only applies to DD vehicles. The toys get much better care.

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky Dork
9/14/12 2:59 p.m.

My 04 IS300 and 04 MDX get all the maintenance by the book. I also fill out and stamp said book after services. It's a lot easier when you have a shop and get parts at a cost

If I went by the book on my 240SX track toy, I would SAVE money I spend so much time and money tinkering and upgrading, most parts get replaced well before they are worn.

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
9/14/12 2:59 p.m.

What's a cabin air filter?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/14/12 3:00 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: What's a cabin air filter?

It's a thing that some fancy-pants cars came with that keeps the leaves from blowing through the vents.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis Dork
9/14/12 3:19 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:
Appleseed wrote: What's a cabin air filter?
It's a thing that some fancy-pants cars came with that keeps the leaves from blowing through the vents.

You mean chicken wire? I get that at the local farm supply...

-Rob

HiTempguy
HiTempguy SuperDork
9/14/12 3:31 p.m.
dj06482 wrote: I use synthetic oil (it's not necessary on any of our vehicles) and usually change it every 3-5k, depending on how we're using the vehicle (short trips, long trips, towing, etc.).

See, this is part of the "problem". People are still stuck with what they were doing 20 years ago when it comes to cars.

Even under severe service conditions, if you peruse bobistheoilguy, synthetic motor oil is good for well past 10,000kms/6500 miles.

I don't change the synthetic in my daily driver (WRX) or tow truck (93 gmc pickup, doesn't burn oil, previous original owner ran amsoil since new for 180,000 miles) for 10,000kms. Only time I get paranoid is when racing, and even then...

Modern day vehicles have had amazing leaps and bounds in the way parts are designed as well as in the materials used that very little maintenance is required (it's mind boggling)! I would realistically expect a brand new vehicle off the showroom floor to not require anything besides consumables (tires, brakes, timing belt, possibly a clutch if you suck at driving a stick, oil changes, brake fluid changes, tranny/diff fluid changes). Everything else should be fine.

jstand
jstand Reader
9/14/12 5:07 p.m.

Most items on the maintenance schedules are checks, and adjust if necessary. Most oil changes claim to include topping off fluids and a XX point safety inspection anyway. My opinion is the dealer or shop should be doing that while waiting for the oil to drain to identify additional services to offer or perform under warranty.

Other than oil changes and air filters I don't do any other maintenance unless parts are worn (brakes and tires).

Mine gets the oil changed at the dealer every 7,500 miles, but I do the engine and cabin air filters. I drop it off at the dealer and they give me a ride to the office and pick me up when it's done. Those are probably some of the easiest miles a car can see, 65 mile each way moving at or above the speed limit with over 60 of those miles highway. Still on original tires and brakes at 45,000 miles.

My wife's minivan gets the changes at the severe interval of 3,750 miles. Probably not necessary, but it spends most time in town and a lot of idling.

I don't plan to keep either one forever so I'm going with the minimum needed to maintain the warranty.

I'd rather spend the time with the kids than going to the store, etc. I use the tractor, snowmobiles, etc to teach the boys about engines and have started to have the oldest boy do the air filter changes, and set tire pressures on the cars and letting him do the work with my instruction on the other engines.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce HalfDork
9/14/12 6:06 p.m.

I use full synthetic and change every 10,000 miles or once a year. My silverado has one of those oil calculator thingies and it says I need a change at 9300-9600 miles every time, and I assume those calculations don't know I use good oil. I change other fluids as needed. I just did the brake fluid on my truck at 7 years and 97,000 miles. I do very regularly inspect belts and hoses and replace them at the slightest sign of wear, they're cheap. Timing belts are the one thing I do perfectly on schedule, no exceptions.

iceracer
iceracer UltraDork
9/14/12 6:19 p.m.

Oil changes are about the only thing I follow a schedule. Using Amsoil, in my prvious vehicles, it was once a year which usually ran 8-9k miles. My new car gets it every 10K because i put that on in less than a year.

Everything else is as needed.

Ojala
Ojala GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/14/12 7:37 p.m.

Change the cabin filters. I found moldy leaves, dust and nuts on my filter when I pulled it out. It was the 5 year old factory filter.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/14/12 10:49 p.m.

As far as mechanical stuff, I'm pretty anal; engine oil, diff lube, coolant, zerk fittings, etc. When it comes to the stuff that only affects me (like cabin air filters) I just do it when I feel its necessary.

Things like air filters are so variable that I just replace them when they need it. My powerstroke van needs air filters frequently because they are small and inadequate. My wife's Scion hasn't had a new air filter for 30k and doesn't look like it will for another 30k. I check stuff like brake pads, air filters, suspension parts, and other wear items every other oil change or so.

Factory recommended service intervals are based on warranties. For that reason they are based on pretty conservative numbers for idiot drivers.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/15/12 8:50 a.m.

I removed the cabin filter completely from the BMW. I do not have air and have the windows open all summer... do they really think the filter will help?

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/15/12 10:02 a.m.
HiTempguy wrote: Even under severe service conditions, if you peruse bobistheoilguy, synthetic motor oil is good for well past 10,000kms/6500 miles.

Tell that to plastic timing chain guides.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
9/15/12 12:08 p.m.

Fluid change intervals nowadays are driven by marketing, not by real world conditions or warranties.

People squealed they were getting ripped off by 6000 mile points intervals, 12,000 mile spark plugs etc, that's how electronic ignition came about. That's also why you see the mfgs trumpeting 7500 mile (or even longer) oil change intervals. Sure, the car may last the warranty period if these are never done. Synthetics and better metallurgy contribute to the longer life cars have now but are by no means the final answer. If you don't want to be a slave to GMAC or Ford Motor Credit or whoever for the rest of your life, then how the car lasts after the warranty period becomes of paramount importance.

Me, I don't care what other people do with their cars. Tha's their business and their wallet. (In fact, it's better for my wallet if they DON'T take care of 'em. ) I take care of mine because it's my wallet and I want them to last; the longer I go with a solid running and driving paid for vehicle the better off I am financially.

If I change the oil every ~4500 miles over a 200,000 mile period and it costs me $25 a pop, that's ~$1150.00. How much is an engine?

Transmission: over that same 200,000 miles I change it every 30k, costs me ~$85 each time, that's ~$570.00. How much is an automatic transmission?

Axle fluid, ~$40 to change it in both, ~60k intervals, ~$135.00. How much are two axles, even from a junkyard?

Over 200k miles, this works out to ~$1900.00. Engine = $3500.00, transmission = $3000.00, two boneyard axles = ~$700.00 (roughly). That's ~$7200.00. Or a savings of ~$5300.00. That's not including maybe having to hunt down a replacement vehicle at, say, $10-$15k for something used or greatgawdamightyholyschitt for anything new.

Seems like a pretty damn good deal to me.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
9/15/12 12:54 p.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: People squealed they were getting ripped off by 6000 mile points intervals, 12,000 mile spark plugs etc, that's how electronic ignition came about.

haha last time I was visiting dad we where talking about points ignition... I've never experienced them... the oldest car i've ever owned was an '85 toyota tercel...

anyway dad talked about our family car in Germany an old ford gernada ran on points... he said he always carried around a spare set in the car because you never knew when they would die, he got to where he could replace them on the side of the road and get them set "close enough" to drive untill he got home to get his timing light....

also talked about tires before radials... he said if you went on a fairly big road trip you basically expected to stop at least once for a flat....

how times have changed...

that being said... I do about a 5k oil change... it's easy to track, when the car hits an even 5k or 10k multiple it's time to change oil and filter

brake fluids when I get a car or when I'm doing serious work on the stoppers...

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
9/15/12 1:26 p.m.

There was an 'in between' type of ignition system where the points carried almost no electrical load, they used a CDI box to trigger the coil and the points carried a miniscule voltage on the ground side. Saw 'em mostly on Toyotas. IIRC those systems had a recommended points replacement interval of 30,000 miles.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltraDork
9/15/12 2:52 p.m.

I'm with the curmudgly one. I do the maintenance when I think about it around when it is due. 60k on trans and when I think on regular oil changes, if it does have an OLM. It is cheap insurance on breaking down in tje middle of nowhere and paying 3k for a rebuilt trans.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
x4RmQjKFNhBllQrYlLE7XcwI7Slpu5QdInGiSfVU2SbOEBWz3N4EdOCNHjtM2X8N