1 2
Grizz
Grizz SuperDork
5/2/13 5:15 p.m.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/1560534/slayer-guitarist-jeff-hanneman-dead-at-49

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
5/2/13 5:18 p.m.

Oh man, that's a helluva hit to the metal community. Kind of ironic that he dies of liver failure, when Kerry King is a spokesperson for Jaegermeister.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
5/2/13 5:19 p.m.

Also just saw this........

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
5/2/13 5:30 p.m.

berkeley. Just berkeley.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/2/13 8:08 p.m.

nervousdog
nervousdog HalfDork
5/2/13 8:12 p.m.

Just heard about this.

RexSeven
RexSeven UltraDork
5/2/13 8:21 p.m.

R.I.P. Hanneman. I will be blasting "Reign in Blood" on the ride home.

Knurled
5/2/13 8:27 p.m.

I'll be shredding to the 10 minute "Black Magic" loop that I made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsooI_ahr0o (music starts up again around 7:50)

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/2/13 8:52 p.m.
mndsm wrote: Oh man, that's a helluva hit to the metal community. Kind of ironic that he dies of liver failure, when Kerry King is a spokesperson for Jaegermeister.

I know you shouldn't assume anything, but I'm assuming this is related to the spider bite that infected him with flesh eating bacteria. Either way, a bummer.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
5/2/13 8:55 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote:
mndsm wrote: Oh man, that's a helluva hit to the metal community. Kind of ironic that he dies of liver failure, when Kerry King is a spokesperson for Jaegermeister.
I know you shouldn't assume anything, but I'm assuming this is related to the spider bite that infected him with flesh eating bacteria. Either way, a bummer.

Nothing assumed on my end at all. I just know a large percentage of liver failure is due to alcohol abuse... and I've abused Jag plenty of times. Early reports are all pointing to said spider bite. I'd no doubt agree.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/3/13 7:54 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote:

now that's a berkeleying metal way to die!

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/3/13 7:55 a.m.

Jerry
Jerry Reader
5/3/13 8:07 a.m.

Saw this earlier: "RIP, Mr Hanneman. Dimebag Darrell, Ronnie James Dio, and Peter Steele among others are ready to welcome you into their ranks."

MA$$hole
MA$$hole HalfDork
5/3/13 10:12 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: I know you shouldn't assume anything, but I'm assuming this is related to the spider bite that infected him with flesh eating bacteria. Either way, a bummer.

Read earlier that he had been in a bad place as of lately and it was likely due to alcohol. Regardless he was young and our metal brother and will be missed.

\m/

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
5/3/13 10:21 a.m.
Wally wrote:

X Eleventy Billion.

Texted the news to a friend last night who was kind of "meh" about it. She texted me back a few hours later and said "Holy E36 M3. Watching FB, Instagram, etc., I had NO idea how many of my friends are metalheads."

You don't have to be a Metalhead to be in the Wehrmacht. They are such a hugely influential and ACCESSIBLE band.

"South of Heaven" was one of the first songs that me and my best bud learned to play together on the guitar, and I remember going in halvsies on "Seasons in the Abyss" the day it came out, and rushing home to learn all the songs we could.

RIP to a true metal icon.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
5/3/13 12:30 p.m.

I've been listening to nothing but Slayer since I heard the news. This sucks.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
5/3/13 12:32 p.m.

Same here, 90% of their catalog is on Spotify. I wonder how much it's been getting used so far....

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
5/3/13 12:36 p.m.

And not one single thread was made about Chris Kelly.

Knurled
5/3/13 12:56 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: And not one single thread was made about Chris Kelly.

While that is sad, let's look at this.

He was one of the founding members of Slayer. Slayer formed in, what, 1981? He was 49 when he died.

A little math, and the dude was thrashing on-stage and putting out album after kick-ass album not just for three decades, but his entire adult life.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
5/3/13 1:04 p.m.

I was more making a lighthearted joke clear the room.

Slayer > Kriss Kross

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
5/3/13 1:09 p.m.

Have had this poster on my wall since I was a freshman in High School...what a shame

Expendable Youth is my berking jam...RIP

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
5/3/13 1:17 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: Have had this poster on my wall since I was a freshman in High School...what a shame Expendable Youth is my berking jam...RIP

I know I'll get flamed, but that's their best record, IMO. "Spirits in Black" is punk as berkeley. "Skeletons of Society" has been going through my head all day, not to mention the two "Hits" from the record...and E36 M3, yeah, every berkeleying song on there rules, come to think of it.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
5/3/13 1:20 p.m.

Funnay: I tried to find a pic on google images, but my buddy Steve Wilkening is in one of the pics on the Decade of Aggression inset. Front row at the Clash of the Titans show in (Miami?.)

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
5/3/13 1:44 p.m.
poopshovel wrote:
4cylndrfury wrote: Have had this poster on my wall since I was a freshman in High School...what a shame Expendable Youth is my berking jam...RIP
I know I'll get flamed, but that's their best record, IMO. "Spirits in Black" is punk as berkeley. "Skeletons of Society" has been going through my head all day, not to mention the two "Hits" from the record...and E36 M3, yeah, every berkeleying song on there rules, come to think of it.

Probably for me too. As is ...And Justice For All, Countdown to Extinction, Chaos A.D..........a lot of my favorite Metal/Thrash bands (for me anyway) hit their peak in the last 80s/early 90s.........still all the aggression of the earlier albums but with greatly improved playing ability and better songwriting.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
5/3/13 1:53 p.m.

Agreed on Justice, but I think Rust in Peace was Megadeth's peak. And I DESERVE to get flamed for this: How the berkeley is it that "Arise" is the only Sepultura record I own?

And yeah, I had an exhaustive list here a while back PROVING that the best metal records of all time were released between 1988 and 1990

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gzf5s9X81i3XpgTNQMZtTiJoRzD9gqpMaeWBRYRJaQQotTrp3bOgII2lWBiAET8q