1 2
nicksta43
nicksta43 Dork
5/3/13 4:49 p.m.

Yeah Justice and Countdown To Extinction are at the top of my metal list as well. I don't think a day goes by where I don't catch myself singing one of the songs from countdown.

Never was really huge into Slayer but still sad all the same.

drainoil
drainoil Reader
5/3/13 5:49 p.m.

Man I really like Slayer.

Spider bite? Flesh eating bacteria? What part of the world was he is when bitten?

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/3/13 7:47 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: And yeah, I had an exhaustive list here a while back PROVING that the best metal records of all time were released between 1988 and 1990

I was ruminating the other day on how I currently have three cars, a 1983, 1984, and 1986.

Kill 'em All/Show No Mercy, Ride the Lightning, and Master of Puppets/Reign in Blood.

MY CARS ARE METAL

I'm not a fan of Haunting the Chapel. Nor am I much a fan of Hell Awaits, so I'm okay with not having an '85 anymore.

1988? South of Heaven was okay, Justice sucked. 1990? Seasons in the Abyss was meh.

1986? BEST YEAR EVER

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
5/3/13 8:12 p.m.

Your opinion is wrong.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess UltimaDork
5/3/13 8:43 p.m.

I read on Fox, I believe, that it was liver failure related to the spider bite. I'm going with Brown Recluse. Those things can go bad on you. I've been bitten by them several times. I've treated people bitten by them that went bad. Skin grafts, etc., and No Phun at all. While EtOH certainly doesn't help, liver failure is just one of those things that can go wrong with that type of injury. Necrotizing Fasciitis. Seriously bad E36 M3. The spider didn't give him the bacteria. The bacteria is all around us, and on you right now. The spider made a bad wound that wouldn't heal and let the bacteria in. Bacteria travels along the fascia layer(s) fast and the press calls it "flesh eating bacteria." If you catch it in time, you cut them open, cut the infected stuff off, pump them full of mega antibiotics, skin graft them and hope for the best. Somewhere along those lines, anything else can fail: Liver, heart, kidneys, brain, all the above.

So... War On Spiders.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
5/3/13 9:10 p.m.

Also, even if I WASN'T in a world-famous, face-melting thrash-metal band, guess how I'd treat a flesh-eating bacteria spider bite. Guess. I'll give you a hint: Same way I treated shellfish poisoning, which berkeleyed my liver all up.

Grizz
Grizz SuperDork
5/3/13 9:31 p.m.

In reply to Dr. Hess:

Pretty sure that it was a brown recluse

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
5/3/13 10:02 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: Your opinion is wrong.

Also, you should be disgraced for now owning more Sepultura. Even Roots was an awesome album, if a bit different feel.

novaderrik
novaderrik UberDork
5/4/13 12:07 a.m.
z31maniac wrote:
poopshovel wrote:
4cylndrfury wrote: Have had this poster on my wall since I was a freshman in High School...what a shame Expendable Youth is my berking jam...RIP
I know I'll get flamed, but that's their best record, IMO. "Spirits in Black" is punk as berkeley. "Skeletons of Society" has been going through my head all day, not to mention the two "Hits" from the record...and E36 M3, yeah, every berkeleying song on there rules, come to think of it.
Probably for me too. As is ...And Justice For All, Countdown to Extinction, Chaos A.D..........a lot of my favorite Metal/Thrash bands (for me anyway) hit their peak in the last 80s/early 90s.........still all the aggression of the earlier albums but with greatly improved playing ability and better songwriting.

that was right around the time when all the big name metal bands had been around long enough to actually get good at playing those 4 and 6 stringed things hanging over their shoulders and learn how to make those fancy pots, pans, and garbage can lids at the back of the stage make awesome noises at record speeds and they were able to better put their thoughts into words and convey the feelings and emotions in the studio... it also just happened to be right at a time when the record labels were willing to give those people money to finally make the music that they've been hearing in their heads the whole time come out right when they put it on tape... it was also just at the point when the recording industry was going to start going digital, so they just happened to fall into a small window of time when their talent caught up with recording technology and they were able to actually catch the "magic" on tape without resorting to digitally splicing songs together and making them sound somehow faker than they used to even if they kick ass...

for me, SLAYER peaked with Seasons in the Abyss and they've been pretty much re-recording it ever since(like AC/DC with Back in Black), Metallica with ...And Justice For All ( the ultimate thrash masterpiece), Megadeth with Rust in Peace, Testament with The Ritual, Anthrax with Persistence of Time.. yes, that was a great time period for metal music.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/4/13 6:52 a.m.
poopshovel wrote: Your opinion is wrong.

Condescending rebuttal with a "Your Mom" joke at the end.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette SuperDork
5/4/13 7:41 a.m.

this is how god punishes

FlyinMikeyJ
FlyinMikeyJ New Reader
5/4/13 12:02 p.m.

As a kid in High School, I was considered the ultimate metal head. Slayer got no airplay, so I bought Hell Awaits w/o any sort of knowledge just how hardcore metal could be. Scared the crapola outta me... I would listen to Stryper after every time I listened to Slayer just so that I didn't get any lightning strikes aimed my general direction.

I didn't pay much attention to Slayer for much time after that, until I found KNAC, and South of Heaven was in heavy rotation... I spent many miles doing triple digits on LA's freeways banging my head to that catchy little ditty.

Gawd I miss that era.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
5/4/13 12:57 p.m.
Karl La Follette wrote: this is how god punishes

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette SuperDork
5/5/13 8:45 a.m.

tom

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
5/5/13 9:24 a.m.

I was in 5th grade when my older sister introduced me to Slayer. Honestly, it scared the crap out of me! The next year, when I started playing music more seriously, I picked up Seasons in the Abyss and I was hooked. That album shredded, from the opening of War Ensemble to the end of the self titled track. I've been a huge fan ever since. Reign in Blood is my favorite and a true metal masterpiece.

The recent falling out with original drummer Dave Lombardo to me was the beginning of the end, but the death of Jeff really puts their future in question. I am glad I got to see them multiple times when the original lineup was together in the 2000's.

Grizz
Grizz SuperDork
5/5/13 10:17 a.m.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/6/13 9:41 a.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: Necrotizing Fasciitis. Seriously bad E36 M3. War On Spiders.

thank you for providing the name for my future Slayer tribute band and the names of our first two world tours.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/6/13 11:11 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair:

Need a bass player?

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar SuperDork
5/6/13 11:55 a.m.

In reply to Grizz:

I wonder what the protesters would do if they suddenly found themselves in the middle of a mosh pit?

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
5/6/13 12:49 p.m.

The final swing is not a drill, it's how many spiders I can kiiiiiilllllll!!!!!

benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn Dork
5/6/13 1:05 p.m.

I'm taking a microbiology class now and it is amazing how some bacteria can rot the human body apart. Really makes you nervous every time you cut yourself, seems like there are some bacteria that will really do a number on human. The book is nice enough to show pictures of diseases, some nasty stuff. Weird thing is the bacteria are everywhere just waiting to strike and just the normal microbiota and human immune system keep the pathogens from taking over.

Sucks to hear, another slayer fan here. Best concert I went to was Slayer/Pantera.

Grizz
Grizz SuperDork
5/6/13 1:09 p.m.
Rob_Mopar wrote: In reply to Grizz: I wonder what the protesters would do if they suddenly found themselves in the middle of a mosh pit?

E36 M3 their pants most likely

novaderrik
novaderrik UberDork
5/6/13 3:42 p.m.

Kerry King and Zakk Wylde "moment of noise" and slams down some shots for Jeff Hanneman at the Golden God awards on friday night..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ii71xc400E

Kerry brought out 2 shots- one for him and one for Zakk- but he had to drink both of them because apparently Zakk doesn't drink any more...

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/6/13 4:21 p.m.
petegossett wrote: In reply to AngryCorvair: Need a bass player?

gonna need everything, because i got no music in me.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AdgMCaIgBPq6xB6sQin4HVexvyO7lUGH0h2gJr98g3AMzyTfayYKHQu8tMdXqcu1