1 2 3
Jerry
Jerry Dork
9/11/13 12:03 p.m.

Do people still do that? I started here 15 years ago today. Makes me wonder if I should celebrate or take a long hard look at where I've wasted my life?

Seriously, at least it's 15 years of steady employment. And pays decent for no college edumacation...

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
9/11/13 12:05 p.m.

Been here about 5 1/2 and hope not to make it to 6. I work 2 other jobs and hope one really works out. Its funny. Some jobs you get with your great education suck and if you're lucky enough, you can get an awesome job with no education.

Who'd uh thunk it?

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
9/11/13 12:12 p.m.

If that’s same the same job with the same company then good for you!

I can't quite match that, but I could make an argument that I'm sort of in the same job for 23 years.

Started work for IAD (International Automotive Design) in the UK 1990 IAD goes bust and parts sold to Daewoo. 1994 I leave Daewoo and go back to IAD who I started work for 4 years earlier and never left. 1994 IAD sends me to the US working for Ford 1997 Still at IAD working for Ford, but Ford Create Visteon and send me there. 2000 Finally get my Green card and transition from IAD to Visteon without changing jobs Early 2000's Visteon goes tit's up 2006 Ford takes back parts of Visteon, including me. 2013 still at Visteon.

So In 23 years I've never had to go out and find a new job at a new company.

Now, as far as what I do, that's changed beyond all recognition. I started as a mechanical Engineer in component testing, now after a whole slew of different positions I'm a Manager in the studio's looking at the clays of what the public will be buying in 3-5 years!

My one wish is that all 23 years had been with Ford, then I’d have a really nice retirement package coming, by the time I ‘officially’ started for Ford in 06 that was long gone and it’s a regular 401K like the rest of the world.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
9/11/13 12:15 p.m.

8 years and 6 months I'll hit 30 years at one job, and I can retire.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 HalfDork
9/11/13 12:16 p.m.

My longest run was 10 years. A few guys here have over 40 years, one just passed 46 years at this company.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/11/13 12:17 p.m.
Jerry wrote: Do people still do that? I started here 15 years ago today. Makes me wonder if I should celebrate or take a long hard look at where I've wasted my life? Seriously, at least it's 15 years of steady employment. And pays decent for no college edumacation...

I've been in my current place of work for 10 years in about three months.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
9/11/13 12:17 p.m.

12.5 years here. Started as an Electrical Designer... still what I do... No real incentive to change or move... other than wanting to put a bullet in my head due to lack of enthusiasm... but it'd be the same crap wherever I'd go, so I can't see the point in change for the sake of change.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
9/11/13 12:20 p.m.

My wife is coming up on 23 years with the same company, and at this point, is expecting to do another 10 and then retire. She has come up the ladder somewhat and has moved from wet work in the lab to dry work in data management.

My father did something like 35 years in practically the same position at the same company. He was a specialized machinist / instrument maker in a large R&D / engineering company. Worked in the same shop in the same building almost all of his working life. Luckily the job was prototyping rather than production so it was varied enough to keep him interested.

Those days are rapidly fading away, though. And in some professions they just don't happen as much anyway.

I just had my 6th anniversary, which pretty much ties this job with the longest I've worked anywhere. I expect I'll be here for the foreseeable future, though.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UberDork
9/11/13 12:22 p.m.

I just passed 21 years with the same comany in the exact same job. Before that I had three different jobs at five years each. My current job has become a grind. My advice is to stay where you are, but see if you can advance. It may mean taking some night courses to get additional certifications.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
9/11/13 12:25 p.m.

17 years. I'm happy, so I stay.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/11/13 12:29 p.m.

If it pays well then celebrate. I've been at this one for over 6 years and I've definitely been wasting my life at it. But, of the few IT jobs available here, it's one with enough variety in it to keep me from going insane from boredom. Sometimes I get close though. And it sucks to see how much better the IT guys at other companies who come to me with questions are doing.

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork

27 years at one facility, loved that job, still be there if it hadn't closed.

22 months currently at the next job, absolutely no job satisfaction left, only there for the money.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork

41 on August 2nd.

Same company, assorted tasks.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
9/11/13 12:33 p.m.

I'm coming up on 20 years pretty soon myself, but it's nothing compared to a lot of people here. There are quite a few with over 30 years, several with over 40, and the founder of the company just turned 90 years old and he still comes in several times a week.

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
9/11/13 12:41 p.m.

I had 10 summers at the golf course from age 13 to 22. By the time my brother is out of there, we'll have 13 consecutive summers of at least one of us there, and a cumulative 28 summers with all 3 of us. That was the same exact job, though at different pay rates.

My dad was has been at his current company since 2004. That company was spun off from another, he was with the first company since 1987. In that sense, he has been in the same job for 25 years. He's probably had about 15-20 different positions in that time.

I've been at the same company for 1.5 years now, 3 different positions. I would like to stay here for an entire career, but due to family geography it probably won't happen. I really want to hit at least 5 years. There are people here who have been here for 50 years. My last manager is in her 40's and has been working here since she was 16.

Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/11/13 12:43 p.m.

13 years at the same overall company, but changed divisions after the first two years due to the location of my ex-wife's job, and have changed positions within the company several times. Been largely the same to the last 8 years or so though with little reason to change. Only downside is that there's very little room for mobility where I am now (only one position 'higher' than at this site), and frankly I don't have any desire to go most of the places I'd have to in order to move up further...

stroker
stroker Dork
9/11/13 12:47 p.m.

15 years as of two days ago. I wish I had a career.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
9/11/13 12:48 p.m.

23.5 years making dumb car magazines. Got several closets full of stolen staplers to prove it.

jg

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/11/13 12:48 p.m.

I did 16 years at Ford/Visteon/Ford, but like Ade, I lost my pension when I was brought back into Ford in 2007. Which made it a lot easier to walk away in 2008. Been working for Siemens for over 5 years now, and I hope to retire from there, whenever that may be.

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky Dork
9/11/13 12:49 p.m.

17.5 years with my shop now. It's not very common these days.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
9/11/13 12:51 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: 23.5 years making dumb car magazines. Got several closets full of stolen staplers to prove it.

nervousdog
nervousdog HalfDork
9/11/13 1:32 p.m.

My current employer opened in August of 2009 and I started in November of that year. Only our shipping manager has been here longer than me.

I'd like to be with a company a long time, to gain experience and knowledge, and move up through the company. This is the longest I've worked at one place since graduating college. Companies seem to replace the top management every 3 years and those people then clean house and install a new team.

We got our new CEO this past January so...

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UberDork
9/11/13 1:38 p.m.

9 years here. Boss has been here 24.

chrispy
chrispy New Reader
9/11/13 1:43 p.m.

I passed 13 years in July. I started at the bottom and have worked my way up to desk jockey. The pay is decent, benefits are great, and I like my coworkers. SWMBO changes jobs about every 5 years so its nice to have some stability in the house. I'd love to open my own "hotrod & race" shop but those don't tend to last long around here.

Jerry
Jerry Dork
9/11/13 1:44 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: If that’s same the same job with the same company then good for you!

Yup. Same place.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7eEbW7qSr12S0arFAJnk8B5SCRz4FNv1jub2oPHcgY92nIYOQXBUC9Xa5BKpq7VD