1 2
Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Dork
4/10/13 9:31 p.m.

http://www.thestickler.com/

I have absolutely no idea how this can be sold in a society where people sue gas can companies because they got burned dumping gas on a campfire. Even I think this is dangerous, and I use an angle grinder one handed when necessary.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Dork
4/10/13 9:36 p.m.

My dad had one when I was a kid. I actually saw him use it once. Just once. It's probably still hanging in the barn because it was simply too terrifying to use again.

Grizz
Grizz SuperDork
4/10/13 9:39 p.m.

I want one.

JtspellS
JtspellS Dork
4/10/13 9:42 p.m.

Being raised in Maine I've seen way too much crazy/dumb E36 M3, but this has to be one of the most berkeleyed death machines I've seen in a while

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
4/10/13 9:45 p.m.

Unsafe at any speed.Proof that there's a little Mad Max in all of us.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
4/10/13 9:46 p.m.

OH GOD. It's amazing!

Rufledt
Rufledt Dork
4/10/13 9:47 p.m.

What happens when it grabs your jeans?

RossD
RossD UberDork
4/10/13 9:48 p.m.

i like this one better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E4GmFX3Puo&list=PLF0B9187BC4D897D0&index=7

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/10/13 9:52 p.m.

I enjoyed the sound of the splitting wood in the Stickler demo.

Rufledt
Rufledt Dork
4/10/13 9:52 p.m.
RossD wrote: i like this one better http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E4GmFX3Puo&list=PLF0B9187BC4D897D0&index=7

What happens when the splitting wedge comes off of the wheel after it's repeated impacts?

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
4/10/13 9:53 p.m.

I imagined the sound of splitting skulls.

Luke
Luke UberDork
4/10/13 9:59 p.m.

Somehow, at first, I was envisioning Deathrace-style chariot spike things as an alternative application.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine New Reader
4/10/13 10:00 p.m.

My grandfather had a screw style log splitter just like the one in the OP, except NOT mounted to your car. His looked much more like a regular log splitter, except the cone shaped screw just like the crazy truck driven model was run by a small gas motor and there was a feed mechanism to drive logs into it.

Love the flywheel maul head splitter. I also picture those welds failing while you're standing radially. Yikes.

Mitchell
Mitchell SuperDork
4/10/13 10:00 p.m.
Woody wrote: I enjoyed the sound of the splitting wood in the Stickler demo.

It sounded like a slow, quiet death.

fasted58
fasted58 UberDork
4/10/13 10:06 p.m.

IIRC, there was a Ford attachment like that for the Model T

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro SuperDork
4/10/13 10:09 p.m.

http://youtu.be/QEfbvZJYEio

The0retical
The0retical Reader
4/10/13 10:21 p.m.

Holy berk there are so many ways that can go wrong it's frightening.

I'll stick with my 8lbs maul where I get some exercise and only have to worry about breaking my foot thanks.

WilberM3
WilberM3 Dork
4/10/13 11:24 p.m.

all i can picture is a very unhappy set of differential spider and side gears as it looks like its just got the one corner off the ground.

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
4/10/13 11:30 p.m.

That's genius!

It looked simple, easy & efficient. I like just about anything I can do sitting down.

It definitely is easier than a chain saw or a maul, course you'll never get any ripped abs running that (nor any chopped off toes)

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/10/13 11:37 p.m.

I fail to see the issue with the one the OP posted. It really looks about 1/1000 the danger of a chainsaw. I can't see it really grabbing a piece of wood with any real torque so as long as its used correctly and the vehicle is on good stands I'm nor sure I get the issue..

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro SuperDork
4/10/13 11:47 p.m.

If you watch some of the youtube vids, the guys brace the log against the ground so the rotation of the screw forces the wood into the ground.

It could only get hairy if you tried to hold the wood by yourself.

I would use a worm gear speed reducer on an electric motor with a foot switch if I built one.

Shawn

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Dork
4/10/13 11:54 p.m.

Oh, I dont know, you get caught in it and whipped around like a ragdoll to death?

A piece of wood jams on it, it comes off the stand and drives into something?

Joe dumbass puts it on his GMC with a sticky trac loc and it decides to lock with nobody in the truck, driving away?

It grabs a glove and splits your hand in half?

With a dead man switch and a dedicated power supply or a tractor PTO, sure. But certainly not bolted to a cars axle.

nderwater
nderwater UberDork
4/11/13 12:20 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: Unsafe at any speed.Proof that there's a little Mad Max in all of us.

Dude that's awesomely effective. Splitting freshly cut wood with an axe sucks.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/11/13 12:26 a.m.

Not nearly as effective in safe and sane mode:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iUnETONCiI&NR=1&feature=fvwp

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
4/11/13 4:39 a.m.

That's actually an ancient tool. Been around for probably upwards of a century now.

I had one. They are, interesting to use. To put it mildly.

When the piece of wood tears free and spins and clonks you in the head you really see stars.

After you've been splitting for a while, debris builds up and you get a bit tired, so you trip or stumble. More than once I caught myself by grabbing onto the turning splitter before I impaled myself upon it.

Even I have my limits. I gave it up and got a conventional splitter instead.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Eg5bPfHT4M3OLmYRfMVXmSPCXjhFwhmuNWinzsqeZ7mwEHoo89WRb4IsGzI4n4od