Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
4/6/21 10:23 a.m.

Planning a family vacation this summer to visit some of the National Parks and we're looking to buy (or rent) a MotorHome.  Sleeps 6 at a minimum, but ideally something that sleeps 8.   Budget up to 10k for the right one.  What do you have?

(Note, I have Yahoo, so if you send PM, please post here, so I can look for it)

Thanks in advance.

In reply to Indy "Nub" Guy :

Good luck, for $10k you're either looking at a class-A from the 90's or a class-C from the 80's. At least based on prices in the south. Also, expect that $10k RV to need another $3-$5k to make it fully functional & trustworthy for cross-country use. 

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/6/21 1:50 p.m.

Do you already have reservations?  Most of the National Parks fill up on the day spots are iopen for reservation.  

Also Size may be an issue for National Parks and sleeps 8.  Most Sleeps 8 RV's will be 28-32'.  National Parks Have size restrictions for many sites which is part of why we bought the 24' one we have.  

Ours was a good deal at 8 years old and "only" $27K but it still has minor issues that would preclude me from loaning it out yet.   

I've always thought an RV/Powerboat/Kayaks/Zeroturn lawnmower would be great things for families to co-own like some people do with small planes.   My RV sits in my driveway 49 weeks of the year basically.  Even in "Peak season" we use it 1x per month and for about 2 weeks / summer.  It doesn't really Mileage out and most of the expense of maintenance is due to weather cycles causing things to break (Some obviously is due to use).  I would love to "Co-own" it with 1-3 other families so my cost is lower and it gets more use.   Our Kayaks are the same way.  They sit weeks at a time without use.  Our Lawnmower sits 6 days a week and really wouldn't care if it got used for another 30 hrs per year..

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
4/6/21 1:55 p.m.

Oof, yeah, $10k doesn't buy much in the RV market right now.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/6/21 2:03 p.m.

You don't want to drive the kind of motor home I buy.

Still having RV engine pull flashbacks 2 years later.

mdshaw
mdshaw Reader
4/6/21 2:44 p.m.

As said above, unless you already have reservations it's too late. $10,000 would get you a unit like in Christmas Vacation. We've seriously considered selling our 34' diesel pusher but I really like it too much to part with it. It's kind of a man cave when not traveling. 

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
4/6/21 3:13 p.m.

We are looking at listing ours, but its going to be near 4x the price.  87' Prevost.

as others say, 10k is low.  you can find some class-C's probably, but it will have creaks and all that I am sure.  

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/6/21 3:27 p.m.

I can confirm campsites are very difficult to come by lately as well.

preach (fs)
preach (fs) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/6/21 4:01 p.m.

#vanlife is a thing right now. Working offsite etc, make sure you plan well ahead.

My Westfalia will be going up for sale this year to purchase a home in TN. Terrible time to buy real estate but fantastic time to sell a VW camper. I don't need the real estate yet.

porschenut
porschenut Reader
4/7/21 8:30 a.m.

Consider renting, and beware of the lack of campsites.  We joined boondockers welcome and harvest hosts, tired of expensive crappy private campgrounds and the lack of availabiity otherwise.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
4/7/21 8:56 a.m.

After some sound advice from here- we rented last fall.  A trailer instead of an RV, as it met our needs better.  

Had excellent luck with both RVShare and Outdoorsy.  

From what I can tell- prices of used stuff is up from last year, too.  So $10K for a driving RV is going to require some work.

I'll repeat the space and want issues, though- now that we are RV owners, I listen to more- demand is really up for 2021- many sites are already totally booked.   

I'd kind of rush to find the rental and spaces as fast as you can.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/7/21 9:20 a.m.

I'm not sure what your destination goal is for this upcoming trip but also look around AirBNB and the like.  There are people who set up a camper that might be at a park or might be on their own back property overlooking a pond, etc.  You can show up in your car and "camp there" in their camper for a week(end.)  With your car you can still "day trip" to see local sights.  

Might be a good way for a "trial run."  

New York Nick
New York Nick GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/7/21 10:04 a.m.

Everyone is right on with site availability. We bought a 21' travel trailer in January. We then started booking sites and there was limited availability at that point at state parks. I guess it depends on what you are looking for, it seems like private campgrounds still have availability. Cost of entry into a travel trailer was a lot easier for me to swallow, assuming you have a vehicle that can pull it. For us the prevalent layouts in TT's was better than what we were finding in driving campers too. 

I texted this to you(if I still have the right#), but this one might have the potential to meet your needs & budget once you factor in replacing any aged-out/rubber parts.

$6500 class-C

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
4/17/21 10:28 p.m.

I scored this Winnebago today for well under my planned budget.  Found it an hour after it was posted on the list of Craig's.   After paying his full asking price, I drove it 3 1/2 hours home. ( it's got 59k miles and was a one owner unit ) We're excited for our trip.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/17/21 11:15 p.m.

That's nice, congrats!

Around here that's at least double what you got it for, you got a deal

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/18/21 12:26 a.m.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/18/21 5:36 a.m.

Awesome score! Have you been up on the roof? Unless it's been resealed in the past year or 2 I'd put that high on your priority list. 

wae
wae UberDork
4/18/21 6:05 a.m.

That looks like an awesome deal!  Definitely under market value!

On the roof, one of the best things about Winnebagoes (and Itascas) is that they usually use a one-piece fiberglass roof.  That means that most of the roof problems that people have with other coaches are not going to afflict you as much.  The J-channels along the side need to be resealed, but the normal "roof sealing" activities aren't necessary and the roof is much more resistant to low-hanging tree branches and whatnot. 

Skip the self-leveling sealers and get yourself a couple rolls of Eternabond tape and some isopropyl alcohol.  Clean up the sealant that's around all the "stuff" on the roof (take the covers off the fridge vent and the A/C units) with the alcohol and then cover it with the Eternabond.  Do the same thing along the sides to cover the J-channel.  Now your roof is pretty much sealed forever.

The weakness that Winnebago does have is the frame around the windshield.  That is prone to rusting and then leaking, so be sure to take the gasket off around the glass, clean that up, and re-seal it.  I used buytl rubber tape but you can use caulking as well.  Just don't use anything with silicone in it because the only way to touch that up later is to physically remove all of it.

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/18/21 7:49 a.m.

You're ready for Radwood with that thing too!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/18/21 8:11 a.m.

The full length windows are a nice touch for letting in light. Strangely, no dining table. 

Brochure from when new

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/18/21 9:58 a.m.

Nice score!!!

Stampie
4/18/21 12:51 p.m.

This mean the whole clan is coming to the Challenge this year?

Stampie
4/18/21 1:30 p.m.

Looking at the brochure that was available with a 454 BBC. Did you bring home a BBC to a Jaguar household?

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/19/21 11:37 a.m.
Stampie said:

This mean the whole clan is coming to the Challenge this year?

I hope so. I also hope that if it rains during the autox again we can all get inside and see who can back it around the entire autox.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
APwWpZ1uR70rWJnkrCDNqRiWvkDFIpaCgeoj87fTF3J9b3ciEMldFSDuevgMF10H