1 2
fastEddie
fastEddie SuperDork
4/19/12 12:39 p.m.

Most finished ones I've seen on the web aren't "GRM friendly" - in finished cost or DIY skills required.

Latest one - http://inhabitat.com/mattel-designer-builds-gorgeous-turquoise-dream-home-from-shipping-containers/

orphancars
orphancars Reader
4/19/12 12:41 p.m.

In reply to 92CelicaHalfTrac:

You are looking for something like this:

http://www.realspacedfw.com/images/pdfs/628%20aviator%20drive%20flyer%202011.pdf

(sorry -- linkinator thingy not doing its linkinator thing).

If I could get the missus to sign up for the idea, I'd be all over having a hangar at an airport. This place is just up the road from me -- lots of hangars, some are used for planes, others are used by car folks, and a lot of them have living quarters inside!

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
4/19/12 1:09 p.m.

This is kindof what i had in mind... but a more modern take:

http://www.thegarageplanshop.com/3442/plan-detail/034g-0011.php

Svrex, that does help a lot, these weren't things i had thought about, thank you!

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Reader
6/14/12 3:18 p.m.

Finally a topic where I can add something if value. I designed / built dang near anything out if shipping containers in Afghanistan, partly because we already had them and partly to skirt congressional budget issues

It would have been far cheaper to build brick n stick buildings, even though we were getting the containers for free.

However if anyone wants more technical info on how we did things I'd be happy to share.

HoneyBox
HoneyBox
9/28/13 10:26 a.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLCLnw4HdW0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

HoneyBox
HoneyBox New Reader
9/28/13 10:26 a.m.

In reply to HoneyBox:

Reader
9/28/13 11:34 a.m.

anybody could build one out of containers....

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/28/13 1:09 p.m.

In reply to :

My new dream-home!

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
9/28/13 5:52 p.m.

Anytime anyone talks about shipping container homes, I immediately think of Sam Flynn's house in Tron Legacy.

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
9/28/13 9:50 p.m.

How would they work if you used them as a garage? Probably too narrow--maybe it is possible to put two together and cut out the walls?

Gasoline
Gasoline SuperDork
9/29/13 12:06 a.m.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UltraDork
9/29/13 12:43 a.m.

Even if they're insulated, I bet the metal walls sweat pretty bad from the temperature change.

Anyone ever own a tin shed?

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
9/29/13 6:43 a.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: Even if they're insulated, I bet the metal walls sweat pretty bad from the temperature change. Anyone over own a tin shed?

Dirt's a pretty good insulator that is available in most places.
Of course, it also traps moisture.....better figure out the anti-rusting thing before going that route

drainoil
drainoil Reader
9/29/13 10:30 a.m.

Everyones definition of "cheap" or "cost effective" will be different. But the idea was put into practice here for less money than some of the others i've seen across the 'net.

http://www.ecocontainerhome.com/2012/06/holyoke-cabin/

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
9/29/13 10:56 a.m.

On the Gulf Coast the Sam Flynn house is popular for shipyard work areas. They lock the units together on the verticles, put a I beam roof on them. Use the lower ones for office space and the upper ones for storage.

Something happens and they need to move takes about 2 days.

Really cool if you ask me, but no one did so

ditchdigger
ditchdigger SuperDork
9/29/13 11:13 a.m.
mtn wrote: How would they work if you used them as a garage? Probably too narrow--maybe it is possible to put two together and cut out the walls?

You would have to cut out the walls at the very least. My father and I used a shipping container as storage/garage space for a while. Probably the single worst car experience I ever had. On a 90 degree day it was 115 inside the dark stuffy container and you had to go outside every 5 minutes to catch your breath. On a cold day it was freezing in there. Very cramped to work in with a car inside. Even his narrow 48 Anglia was too much for it.

Every time I hear "shipping container homes" I get chills down my spine thinking about how cramped and hot/cold it was. The low ceiling height made you feel like you had to tilt your head the entire time you were in it.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/29/13 11:16 a.m.

In reply to SyntheticBlinkerFluid:

I have wet dreams about Sam Flynn's house.

Jcamper
Jcamper New Reader
9/29/13 11:32 a.m.

I am an intern for a local utility. They are buying prefab public restroom buildings for substation control houses. Still doubt they are cheaper than stick built. They are mostly concrete, so easily rebuilt after a fire. J

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
9/29/13 11:40 a.m.
ditchdigger wrote:
mtn wrote: How would they work if you used them as a garage? Probably too narrow--maybe it is possible to put two together and cut out the walls?
You would have to cut out the walls at the very least. My father and I used a shipping container as storage/garage space for a while. Probably the single worst car experience I ever had. On a 90 degree day it was 115 inside the dark stuffy container and you had to go outside every 5 minutes to catch your breath. On a cold day it was freezing in there. Very cramped to work in with a car inside. Even his narrow 48 Anglia was too much for it. Every time I hear "shipping container homes" I get chills down my spine thinking about how cramped and hot/cold it was. The low ceiling height made you feel like you had to tilt your head the entire time you were in it.

Sounds like they might work for storage though... Probably not ideal to keep the cars in such extremes though

oldopelguy
oldopelguy Dork
9/29/13 1:15 p.m.

If you are buying two of them anyway, might as well put them 22' apart and then set 30' roof trusses on them and roof over the works. Better yet, buy 3 and use one across the back.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
9/29/13 2:20 p.m.

In reply to mtn:

My old boss uses them to store cars. I believe all of them have two solar powered roof fans.

That helps vent in the summer at least.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/6/21 6:57 a.m.

Old thread from 2013 revived by spam.  Move along, nothing new to see here. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fZmcWokh8RJjazckce6bI20rhlNzLcPVIxN4QuwlNy8uv9ChbNDWCKyKMKLZHhn2