1 2
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/27/10 10:18 a.m.

We got 14 inches plus. I just spent 2 hours digging out.

Kids are sledding in the back yard. All in all life is good.

Days like this makes me wish I had put the new garage / shop (wife has already approved the project) higher on the get it done list.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
12/27/10 10:20 a.m.

Nothing in Grand Rapids, Mi....kinda weird. An hour north has 2'

pilotbraden
pilotbraden Reader
12/27/10 10:27 a.m.

1"-2" in the past 48 hours at Flint MI. 12" of ice on the lakes. It is time to put the studded tires on the dirt bike!

mndsm
mndsm Dork
12/27/10 10:30 a.m.

Got 20" about two weeks ago, got another 6+ last week, 1" yesterday and we're due for a motherberkeleying blizzard this weekend.

WHOEVER IS PRAYING FOR SNOW, STOP.

Mikey52_1
Mikey52_1 HalfDork
12/27/10 10:55 a.m.

And today in southeastern MT, we've a chinook going. Most of what we got over the last couple weeks is gone and only mud and some ice remain. Where my son is in northeastern MT, blizzard and windchill warnings. VERY, VERY STRANGE WINTER.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
12/27/10 10:55 a.m.

It's not people pray FOR snow, it's all of us down south praying we don't see snow that's doing it. We're looking at 60 degrees and sunny today. And I could care less if I ever see another snow flake my entire life.

wbjones
wbjones Dork
12/27/10 11:04 a.m.

so much for global worming , we've had more snow and more bitter cold in the last two yrs than we've had in the previous 15

7" on Christmas, 2" more on the 26th.... spent 6 hrs shoveling the driveway yesterday, just to wake up to 15° and an additional 2" this morning... I've become a Bob Costas in my old age... I'm tired of this E36 M3 already...

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
12/27/10 11:26 a.m.

I just returned from myrtle beach last night. We JUST missed the storm. The drive from myrtle beach to Mooresville NC (200 miles) took about 6 hours. This was just as the storm was hitting. NC had no snow plows or salt or anything. We stopped in Mooreville to stay with friends. We lect 5 am Sunday and the farther north we went the snow kept coming and coming. Fortunately the norther states have plows so the drive from Mooresville, NC to Fenton, MI (640 miles) was ONLY 16 hours. But here in Fenton, looks like no additional snow in the week we were gone.

wbjones
wbjones Dork
12/27/10 11:27 a.m.

ya, here in the south we really don't understand snow removal like the north and west do...

Ian F
Ian F Dork
12/27/10 11:33 a.m.

The snow I don't mind too much. With a snow blower and shovels, we are well equipped to shift it. The wind, however, is just brutal, and the drifts are bloody annoying....

Pseudosport
Pseudosport Reader
12/27/10 11:40 a.m.

No idea how much we have. It snowed a good amount then changed over to rain. Over night it all froze so we have about 6" of ice with a few inchs of snow on top of that.

Ian F
Ian F Dork
12/27/10 11:43 a.m.

Damn... I feel for you... that's a bitch to shovel.

PubBurgers
PubBurgers Dork
12/27/10 11:48 a.m.

It's supposed to be 50 degrees here by the end of the week.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
12/27/10 11:50 a.m.

We got 6", but it's thw WIND! Ian is leaving shortly to drive 2000 miles back to NYC, they say it's closed.

Dan

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/27/10 12:01 p.m.

2000 miles? Taking the long way, is he?

On this side of the country, winter seems to have been delayed somewhat. We have no snow (but lots of mud) down at the house (at about 5000' elevation) and up here at the office (a five minute walk from the shore of Lake Tahoe), we might have a foot if I'm generous. Pretty much all the snow we had earlier this winter got rained away.

sachilles
sachilles Dork
12/27/10 12:02 p.m.

Just wait to clear it after the wind has stopped. Just make sure to get to it before you get a warm up, then it gets much heavier to shovel.

Shoveling in the wind makes about as much sense as peeing in the wind.

tb
tb Reader
12/27/10 12:08 p.m.

I could handle a little more accumulation around here, we only got about 6" of windblown powder.

90% of the time I consider our outback a somewhat boring, if practical, commuter appliance; and then the snow starts to fall...

2002maniac
2002maniac HalfDork
12/27/10 12:12 p.m.

here in Utah the ski resorts have been DUMPED on in the last week or so, but it has been above freezing in the valleys most days. Snow falls but doesn't stick. Best of both worlds.

triumph5
triumph5 Dork
12/27/10 12:19 p.m.
Ian F wrote: The snow I don't mind too much. With a snow blower and shovels, we are well equipped to shift it. The wind, however, is just brutal, and the drifts are bloody annoying....

This. And brutal is an understatement. Cuts right through you, takes your breath away. Last night we had documented gusts in SE Ct. of 62mph. Still blowing 30mph today, with higher gusts--ground looks post hurricane. If it was a bit warmer, and WET snow....break out the camping equipment!

HalfTrac, Lord of the FWD deathbox
HalfTrac, Lord of the FWD deathbox SuperDork
12/27/10 12:19 p.m.

We have about 4" here, and it's going to be 52 degrees on Friday. Interesting.

Mikey52_1
Mikey52_1 HalfDork
12/27/10 12:27 p.m.

Here in SE MT when it snows we normally get a wind too. We often end up with patches of bare ground and drifts hood-high, right side by each. Makes for some intriguing driving lessons for the High School Driver's Ed teacher...

fastmiata
fastmiata Reader
12/27/10 3:07 p.m.

I drove thru 3-5" of snow to get out of East Tennessee only to get to N Fla and it be in the middle 40's with 20mph winds. At least the seafood has been good and there's plenty of wine at Publix.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/27/10 4:36 p.m.

Chilly here in Florida. I think it rained, too. (I was sick in bed the last four days, so I didn't get out much.)

Ignorant
Ignorant SuperDork
12/27/10 4:45 p.m.

We got 8-12" here. It's hard to really tell with all the blowing and drifting. Just as the 1st flakes were falling the battery on my civic died. I had to run out to advanced crapperware parts to get a battery....

Mikey52_1
Mikey52_1 HalfDork
12/27/10 5:10 p.m.

On a related theme...we're due for -40F and brutal winds on Thursday and Friday....sometimes, it's just not any fun living on the edge of the prairie....

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
g554n5pjhZdNPrP7ASC1Z2BAn2oBKRmYtT1OAmGfrPMrs7kyYSkKUY4YcF9bW1xO