1 2 3 4 5
1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltraDork
2/7/13 11:12 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
1988RedT2 wrote: Isn't that what New England is all about?
Panic? Yes.

Shoot. It's the same everywhere. Here in central VA, we get (if we're lucky) one or two measurable snows a year on average. All they have to do is forecast an inch or two of snow, and the stores will sell out of bread and milk and who knows what else, and they will cancel school.

It makes me chuckle, since as a kid in northwestern NJ, we'd be bundled up by the side of the as yet unplowed road and the school bus would come clanking through a foot of snow with tire chains on.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/7/13 11:34 a.m.

I had one snow day when I was a kid, living in Ottawa. It snows there for real (nearly 8' a year on average), and there isn't a massive panic when the forecast is for snow - because that's just what it does. Suck it up and deal with it. That's why you don't see Canada in the panic weather maps, other than Toronto I never saw a run on water and food, although the big ice storm of 1998 did cause a bump in generator sales for the next winter.

Now that's a storm.

When I was in university in London, Ontario, they closed the school one day when the buses shut down due to a couple of inches of slush. I rode my bike to school. The euchre game that was always running in the lobby of the music building continued uninterrupted.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
2/7/13 11:42 a.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote: Oh, so it's going to snow in New York? Because that's all we'll hear about in the national media.

Guess where I'm going this weekend?

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/7/13 11:47 a.m.

it's not even supposed to snow here.. and people are panicing... we are just south of the 1-3 line

peter
peter HalfDork
2/7/13 12:43 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
1988RedT2 wrote: Isn't that what New England is all about?
Panic? Yes.

New England has changed a lot recently

Snow in the northeast in the last 15-20 years has been a few inches at a time, a few to several times a year. Road crews can keep that clear without causing more than a morning's worth of delay. In that time too, the population density in this area has climbed astronomically - my parents rural, at-least-2-acre-per-house town has gone from penny-pinching old New England stock that lived in their great, great grandfather's 1700s farmhouse, to yuppie idiots living in McMansions planted smack dab in the middle of what used to be farm fields.

Can you blame the new folks if they have no idea how to deal with weather they've rarely, if ever, encountered before? And given that after Irene in '11, the October ice storm in '11, and Sandy last fall, it took anywhere from a week to two weeks to get power back (or clear the roads) to many of these towns, yeah, they're not expecting much support from the utility companies.

My folks are well prepared, but they've been through this all before. Their young neighbors have wised up in the decade or so they've been there, but they did a lot of learning through their first few winters. But I bet if you dropped my folks in Kansas during tornado season, they'd be panicked.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
2/7/13 2:11 p.m.

I personally blame this storm on Pseudosport. He traded in his perfectly sensible and practical 4WD truck in on a twin turbo, manual transmission-equipped BMW with summer tires.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltraDork
2/7/13 2:42 p.m.

If Detroit get's less then 6" I'm gonna be pissed. We haven't had nearly enough this year.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
2/7/13 2:52 p.m.

We're following the standard run on whites here.

Milk, bread and toilet paper.

Never have really figured out what that says about people around here. But, that's all we need for an emergency. Any emergency. Earthquakes, blizzards, hurricanes, tornadoes, doesn't matter. Stores immediately sell out of milk, bread and toilet paper.

OK, three winters ago when we had those back to back storms, the stores also sold out of fanbelts. But that I actually understand.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/7/13 2:53 p.m.

We've still had more than last year. I don't care if it snows or not.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/7/13 9:03 p.m.
foxtrapper wrote: We're following the standard run on whites here. Milk, bread and toilet paper. Never have really figured out what that says about people around here. But, that's all we need for an emergency. Any emergency. Earthquakes, blizzards, hurricanes, tornadoes, doesn't matter. Stores immediately sell out of milk, bread and toilet paper. OK, three winters ago when we had those back to back storms, the stores also sold out of fanbelts. But that I actually understand.

don;t forget eggs.. gotta have everything you need to make french toast

sachilles
sachilles SuperDork
2/7/13 9:14 p.m.

: shrug: I work for a ski resort. This just means we don't have to make our own snow for a little while.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/7/13 9:37 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

I remember this storm. We were without power for almost two weeks. Ice skating down the street and through the woods was fun though.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/7/13 9:54 p.m.

almost 11pm EST in Detroit Metro area. Nothing yet. We are predicted 2"-4", so nothing much to think about.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UberDork
2/7/13 10:52 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Now that's a storm When I was in university in London, Ontario, they closed the school one day when the buses shut down due to a couple of inches of slush. I rode my bike to school. The euchre game that was always running in the lobby of the music building continued uninterrupted.

That was a bad one.

I commuted from SW Ontario into the GTA for 21 years and never missed a day because of the weather. Can't say the same for my city dwelling coworkers.

They've been talking up the storm here since yesterday. Hasn't started yet, and probably won't.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/8/13 12:50 p.m.

It's 25* snowing like hell, the 11 & 13 year old girls next door are splashing around the hot tub with friends.

No disasters here ....

fidelity101
fidelity101 HalfDork
2/8/13 12:58 p.m.

We only got about 4-5" here in Detroit, its kind of flurrying right now but not really...

I fear for up north because if they get 6-10 inches there will not be ice racing this weekend because they cant plow :(

pilotbraden
pilotbraden SuperDork
2/8/13 1:08 p.m.
fidelity101 wrote: We only got about 4-5" here in Detroit, its kind of flurrying right now but not really... I fear for up north because if they get 6-10 inches there will not be ice racing this weekend because they cant plow :(

Where are you racing? I have included a link to the NOAA snow depth map. It is a bit of a pain in the butt to use but it is usually accurate. It is also one of the longest address' that I have ever seen.

http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/interactive/html/map.html?ql=station&zoom=&loc=43.8212+N%2C+84.7663+W&var=ssm_depth&dy=2013&dm=2&dd=8&dh=19&snap=1&o9=1&o12=1&o13=1&lbl=m&mode=pan&extents=us&min_x=-84.925000000002&min_y=43.725&max_x=-84.508333333335&max_y=44.033333333334&coord_x=++-84.7663&coord_y=+++43.8212&zbox_n=43.819898148148354&zbox_s=43.819898148148354&zbox_e=-84.76562500000187&zbox_w=-84.76562500000187&metric=0&bgvar=dem&shdvar=shading&width=600&height=450&nw=600&nh=450&h_o=0&font=0&js=1&uc=0

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
2/8/13 1:13 p.m.

On that map, I'm in the 6-12" range, but like last "storm" I only expect about 4-6". Not even a dusting yet.

Working in a grocery store, I'm glad I have today off. My little bit of shopping after work last night was crazy enough.

aircooled
aircooled PowerDork
2/8/13 1:25 p.m.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UberDork
2/8/13 2:21 p.m.

It started early this morning. I have to work at 6:30 tonight and I can't get out of my driveway.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
2/8/13 4:33 p.m.

The storm is starting to kick in a bit around here in southeastern MA. Two transformers already exploded on the street behind us!!!

All my anti-boredom devices (Game Boy Advance, Nintendo DS, and Sony PSP) are charged up and ready to roll.

Rufledt
Rufledt Dork
2/8/13 4:45 p.m.
SilverFleet wrote: The storm is starting to kick in a bit around here in southeastern MA. Two transformers already exploded on the street behind us!!! All my anti-boredom devices (Game Boy Advance, Nintendo DS, and Sony PSP) are charged up and ready to roll.

Yeah plenty of weather here in quincy, too. Oddly, the wind is blowing the snow enough that I can still see all of the grass. The cars are covered, and there are drifts between them. Here I was beginning to think i'd never see a good storm until I moved back to Wisconsin. I'm glad I was wrong!

I'm hoping the power doesn't go out when the winds pick up, because most of my anti-boredom devices are plug-ins, and my ipod doesn't have much battery life at this point. I might be forced to gasp read a book! or do school work... As long as the power (and internet) hold out, my PC will be used heavily.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant SuperDork
2/8/13 4:51 p.m.
Zomby Woof wrote: It started early this morning. I have to work at 6:30 tonight and I can't get out of my driveway.

Isn't that what the snowmobile is for?

MA$$hole
MA$$hole HalfDork
2/8/13 4:55 p.m.

In reply to Rufledt:

I forgot you were in Quincy too. Can't see grass where I'm at but the cars aren't that covered and fortunately the way the snow drifts in between my place and the shop next door it leaves the pavement almost visible. May have to take the E36 hooning in the empty lot next door!

RexSeven
RexSeven UltraDork
2/8/13 5:08 p.m.

Currently working in Boxborough. I got in just before the 4pm driving ban went into effect. I will be staying overnight at a nearby hotel rather than drive home at 1am (company paid). The snow is starting to pile up pretty good over here. The whole I-495 corridor is within the 2ft band, which means I get to look forward to a whole lot of shoveling once I get home tomorrow.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LOXCvb5hgNfxvztp743W4Q7oIjUeOGNavveNBD99udCa2LXBisfD1ekrJLRRxE6i