1 2
TLNXTYM
TLNXTYM New Reader
11/18/15 12:36 a.m.

Ok stop me if this has been pondered before, but do you consider your car to be male or female? Having grown up with the General Lee, KITT, and Herbie, I tend to think of them as guys. But then there's the Ladies of Gone in 60 Seconds among others to tip the scales the other way.

What say you all? And what kind of names have you given your rides?

jmthunderbirdturbo
jmthunderbirdturbo HalfDork
11/18/15 12:51 a.m.

'green POS', 'that damn jap van of hers', 'my stupid 'bird".

apparently asexual in my fleet...

-J0N

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/18/15 4:09 a.m.

The FR-S is a biker bitch with chains.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/18/15 6:14 a.m.

Catlin

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/18/15 6:16 a.m.

My car is a car.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/18/15 6:18 a.m.

Lucky you, my car is an appliance.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/18/15 6:34 a.m.

In reply to Woody:

Lies, yours is definitely a female with sexy hips that beckons you to run away with her for a weekend jaunt or even just to enjoy an "afternoon delight"

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
11/18/15 7:05 a.m.

The only girl is the duster. Then it's the blue car, the truck, and the subaru.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad SuperDork
11/18/15 7:13 a.m.

Brittany, the Miata that's little and likes to dance but doesn't sound great.

Adelle, The Passat. A bigger lass who is attractive in her way and sounds spectacular.

Bertha, the Suburban. She's just large.

And Betty, the '94 Ranger. She's very old....and white.

All girls at my house.

NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
11/18/15 7:40 a.m.

The MGB GT is a bitch; the body of a supermodel and the soul of a crack-whore.

The Molvo, being a combination of Mustang , Miata and Classic Volvo, is going to end up gender confused.

The FRS has no Gender personality that I can discern.

classicJackets
classicJackets Reader
11/18/15 7:59 a.m.

My 83 civic wagon earned the nickname Granny Blue. My Courier has no identity one way or another

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Reader
11/18/15 8:10 a.m.

Mine are gender neutral. The two DD's don't even have much of a personality. My 65 mustang is known as the "Muttang", which started because thats how my 3 year old pronounces it, but mutt is pretty fitting.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
11/18/15 8:18 a.m.

Both neons had been bipolar whores. The civic is Jane, as in plain Jane.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas Dork
11/18/15 8:19 a.m.

All girls so far. Theresa, Beverly, Fiona, Gertrude, Miss Jane.

The Caddy, both of my wife's Ford trucks, and my Willys Jeep didn't get names. Not owned long enough or not enough personality or both.

Charlie, the new truck, may be a boy, may be a tom-boy. I'm leaning toward the latter, but I'll have to live with it for awhile first.

jonsteckelberg
jonsteckelberg New Reader
11/18/15 8:23 a.m.

The FRS is River, Female The Focus is Blue Berry, Neutral The HHR is Panda Bear, Female The Impala is Stormageddon Dark Lord of All, Male

Most of my cars have been Female.

Kia_Racer
Kia_Racer Dork
11/18/15 8:25 a.m.

I have used both male and female.

However, when working on most of them I use SOB!

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/18/15 8:27 a.m.
captdownshift wrote: In reply to Woody: Lies, yours is definitely a female with sexy hips that beckons you to run away with her for a weekend jaunt or even just to enjoy an "afternoon delight"

Nope. Just a car.

slefain
slefain UberDork
11/18/15 8:32 a.m.

Pretty sure my 2002 Camry is a eunuch.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 UltraDork
11/18/15 8:34 a.m.

It. They're all its. The van, the Daytona, the truck, and the wife's car.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
11/18/15 8:46 a.m.

Cars are just cars. No gender involved.

BUT...

I DO believe that cars can have a mind of their own, and distinct personalities. In my fleet...

-My CSX is like a former athlete that has slipped into a rust-induced coma. Once it awakes, it will have to get acclimated to the modern world. I will be there to help it achieve greatness again.

-My Dakota is like an old laborer, it used to be strong, but it's getting weak in its old age. It still is willing to work, but it breaks down with pain sometimes and has nagging injuries. It sees retirement in its future.

-My Trans Am used to be a rock star in the 80's, and it's a real shiny happy person. It lived life hard and fast, and got all the ladies, evidenced by all the earrings I found under it's back seat. Along the way, it got addicted to burnouts and speed, and that took it's toll on it's looks and performance. Now, it lives in my driveway, and constantly reminds me of what it used to be. It gets mad sometimes at me when I try to help it, and has even tried to kill me a couple times. It needs me to get it clean for good, and back on the road to stardom again. It only runs right when 80's Metal is coming out of the speakers. Ask any of my friends... that's no joke.

-My Mazda 3 is like a faithful assistant or intern. It does what I tell it to do, as long as I keep an eye on it's issues. When it starts to drift off, I have to keep it in line. It's never let me down, and I may have other plans for it soon if it keeps up the good work.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/18/15 8:52 a.m.

School days of trying to learn French and Spanish, where everything has an arbitrarily assigned gender (that I usually got wrong), permanently cured me of thinking about inanimate objects as male or female.

thedanimal
thedanimal New Reader
11/18/15 8:53 a.m.

I call my 01' Rolla "Hank" much like Hank Hill, It's reliable and simple.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Dork
11/18/15 9:02 a.m.

The BMW was definitely a girl... and a Euro princess at that.

The MkVII was definitely a dude.

I'm more abstractly creative-minded than I am practical-minded so I eventually see a personality in all my cars but only a few have been specific enough to earn a gender projection.

oldtin
oldtin UberDork
11/18/15 9:18 a.m.

PO named the bmw fiona - the green ogre. The stack of receipts leads me to believe she has the capacity to be monstrous.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
11/18/15 9:58 a.m.

None of my vehicles are female or male. They are cars, objects, whatever. And they all came with names as well to relieve me of the great responsibility of naming them.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WXYjarxHSsiV7nb2lQDTxQpRbqTxWbzq4tc15sQVRIhMRahBP7jk4iou1Vq6NeXa