1 2 3 4
DrBoost
DrBoost Reader
1/9/09 5:57 a.m.
belteshazzar wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote: If I really thought Rick Astley was awesome and I started a thread about your favorite music and then lead to a rickroll video, and then next weekend started a thread about cool 80's haircuts and lead to a rickroll video, and so on and so forth, it would get annoying. Same thing.
not so much. because whether or not YOU believe it's true, THEY think that non-believers are judged and go to hell. Not liking Rick Astley doesn't have the same consequences. If I thought there was a bomb in your car I'd be sure to tell you. And hopefully you wouldn't be too pissed if I turned out to be mistaken. I don't blame them for trying. They usually mean well.

Sorry, wrong again. They do not believe the bad are going to hell. They believe hell is a mistranslation of the Hebrew word for, basically garbage dump, or more correctly, common grave. After death, you are just dead.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
1/9/09 5:02 p.m.

I guess I wasn't being specific about JW, but more, Christians in general.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/10/09 2:01 a.m.

My wife always walks first in case there is a missing manhole cover or landmine.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
1/10/09 2:50 a.m.

Heaven for the weather and hell for the company.

Maybe I'll name my next car the "handbasket".

DrBoost
DrBoost Reader
1/10/09 8:24 a.m.
Datsun1500 wrote:
DrBoost wrote:
NYG95GA wrote: He explained that their wives were relagated to walking behind the husband, instead of beside him.
sorry, but that's just wrong. That is NOT a JW doctrine at all.
I know a few JW couples, the wives always walk a step or 2 behind the husbands. I am sure everyone walks in front of their wives at some point, these guys do it every time....

Having being born and raised in that faith, and spend the first 34 years of my life as a faithful follower, I've known untold number of JW couples and I've never seen that. And I know that it is in no way, shape, or form part of the teaching.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
1/10/09 10:03 a.m.

As with any religion there are those adherents who will take things to the extreme. Examples: snake handling, speaking in tongues, polygamy, yada yada. I'm sure not all Mormons subscribe to the wifely submission thing, just as all Baptists do not but there are those who do.

My Baptist aunt is a staunch believer that the man should run the household 100% and the wife should never question his authority. That's based on Ephesians 5:21-32.

,b.21 and be subject to one another in the fear of Christ. 22 Wives, be subject to your own husbands, as to the Lord. 23 For the husband is the head of the wife, as Christ also is the head of the church, He Himself being the Savior of the body. 24 But as the church is subject to Christ, so also the wives ought to be to their husbands in everything. 25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself up for her; 26 that He might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, 27 that He might present to Himself the church in all her glory, having no spot or wrinkle or any such thing; but that she should be holy and blameless. 28 So husbands ought also to love their own wives as their own bodies. He who loves his own wife loves himself; 29 for no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ also does the church, 30 because we are members of His body. 31 For this cause a man shall leave his father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife; and the two shall become one flesh. 32 This mystery is great; but I am speaking with reference to Christ and the church. 33 Nevertheless let each individual among you also love his own wife even as himself; and let the wife see to it that she respect her husband.

So the husband should love the wife but in the end she is expected to submit to his wishes and commands. Hmmm. Wouldn't work in my house for sure.

I've never read the Book of Mormon so I'm not qualified to comment on that. It seems that the whole polygamy and submisison thing are wound up in Joseph Smith deciding his wife Emma wasn't enough and then commanding her to allow him to step out, but there's no hard proof of this that I can find.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
1/10/09 8:32 p.m.
Jensenman wrote: I've never read the Book of Mormon so I'm not qualified to comment on that. It seems that the whole polygamy and submisison thing are wound up in Joseph Smith deciding his wife Emma wasn't enough and then commanding her to allow him to step out, but there's no hard proof of this that I can find.

I always figured a big part of it was frontier settler practicality. The religion settled in a hostile wilderness. The men were going out and doing dangerous activities and tended to die more frequently. If you have more women than men, and are trying to increase the population, there's no point in letting a potential mother go unused.

And I'm sure there was horny guy-ness involved too.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA Dork
1/10/09 11:45 p.m.
Wally wrote: My wife always walks first in case there is a missing manhole cover or landmine.

Great, Wally. Now have to clean off my keyboard.

Mental
Mental SuperDork
1/11/09 12:50 a.m.
Jensenman wrote: ...My Baptist aunt is a staunch believer that the man should run the household 100% and the wife should never question his authority. That's based on Ephesians 5:21-32...

Work with one of those. She won't question her husband but has no problem lecturing her superiors becuase I respect my wife's opinion and consider her a partner. Of course, becuase I am a Catholic, I am also doomed to hell.

There are three religious truths;

1. The Jewish faith does not recognize the divine aspect of Jesus Christ.

2. Christianity does not recognize another path to Heavan other than through the salvation of Jesus Christ

3. Southern Baptists will not recognize other Southern Baptists in a liquor store

NYG95GA
NYG95GA Dork
1/11/09 1:31 a.m.

Always take two Baptists with you on a fishing trip. If you take just one, he will drink most of your beer, but if you take two, neither one will touch it.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
1/11/09 8:32 a.m.
Mental wrote: 3. Southern Baptists will not recognize other Southern Baptists in a liquor store

Or in Hooter's.

Why don't Baptist make love standing up?

It looks too much like dancing.

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
1/11/09 2:38 p.m.

You know why Baptists hide the booze when the preacher comes over? So he doesn't drink it all.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
1/11/09 3:02 p.m.

A (Episcopalian) Religious Joke:

So Satan is interviewing people as they come into hell. He sees a Jewish man and asks him what he did. "Well, I ate pork. I really loved it." Satan welcomes him to hell.

A Catholic man enters and Satan asks him what he did. "For the last 20 years of my life, I refused to go to confession." Satan tells him that was pretty bad and welcomes him to hell.

Then an Episcopalian enters. Satan looks and him and says, "You're an Episcopalian. What could you have possibly done to end up here?" The Episcopalian hides his face and doesn't answer. "Come on," Satan says, "you can tell me. I'm the devil after all."

The Episcopalian looks up sheepishly and replies: "I ate with the wrong fork."

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vy3UKBK7nFTPSTMaK9ylbkDJsF4kgyFyVrMXoSPmBnIWZATgnIWTwbsFkxkJTm4x