1 2
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/29/13 11:42 a.m.

The I'm Not Listening award for the day.

Guy on phone: "Have you put one of those turbo V6 Ford truck engines in a Miata?"

Brandon: "No."

Guy on phone: "Great! How did it work out?"

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer UltimaDork
8/29/13 11:56 a.m.

Hahaha!

I got one of those today!

Customer: "Will Jaguar wheels fit my Mercedes?"

Me: "No"

Customer: "But I want them!!"

Me: "Que?"

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/29/13 11:57 a.m.

Sounds like a fun build idea, though

But seriously, why would anyone look anywhere other than a new(isj) GM V8?

Keith Tanner
8/29/13 12:04 p.m.

Once you've done one engine swap, people assume you've done every engine swap.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
8/29/13 12:06 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

so what you are saying is that the Alfa V8 from the 8C went in smoothly, then. Sure it's a fun car to drive.

Keith Tanner
8/29/13 12:09 p.m.

Send me that engine, I WILL put it in something!

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
8/29/13 12:09 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver:

Why would you ruin a perfectly good 8c to do that?

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
8/29/13 12:11 p.m.

In reply to yamaha:

Based on how I hear it handles, I'm sure someone will find a way to have a spare engine....

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
8/29/13 12:14 p.m.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/29/13 12:57 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: The I'm Not Listening award for the day. Guy on phone: "Have you put one of those turbo V6 Ford truck engines in a Miata?" Brandon: "No." Guy on phone: "Great! How did it work out?"

I've heard conversations that started like this.

"Hi (x), I'm (y), how are you?"

"Hello."

"Fine, thanks for asking."

jere
jere HalfDork
8/29/13 1:22 p.m.

I have been on the other side of those conversations, I usually utter preprogrammed customer service greetings especially on the phone.

Me "Hi, I'm a driver with city yellow cab, did you call for a cab?"

Grandma "what...no?"

Me "sorry grandma it's Jere"

PHeller
PHeller UberDork
8/29/13 1:31 p.m.

Begger: "Out of the kindness of your heart can you spare some change?"

Me: "No thanks"

clownkiller
clownkiller Reader
8/29/13 1:39 p.m.

People are distracted...... at some point in life the art of conversation will be completely gone. Keith did you deliver the Ford V6 turbo translpant to Canada?!

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UberDork
8/29/13 2:05 p.m.

This happens at least twice a day:

Parts, this is Bob, how can I help you?

Hi.... can I speak to Bob?

This is Bob.

Oh, is this Bob?

sachilles
sachilles SuperDork
8/29/13 2:07 p.m.

Happens with my wife all the time.

She'll ask me a question like "do you know the house on the corner of elm and main street, the brick one?

Me: Yup

Its, the one with the pretty yard and big garage.

Me:yup, I know the one(and I'm waiting for you to tell me why you've brought this house to my attention).

It is the one they just repaved the driveway this summer and our office has it for sale.

Me: Yup, I know what one you are talking about.

It's the one with the big elm tree out front with the tire swing.

Me: Yes, I know the house, what about it?

It went under contract today.(that's it, end of story)

Or other things like.

Can you pick Andrew up from school today?

Me: Yes.

I need pop over to Peggy's house to help her move some furniture.

Me: Ok.

It would really help me out if you can get Andrew.

Me: Ok, I'll get him.

So you don't mind grabbing him?

Me: No.

So you'll get him?

Me: Yes.

Ok, you get him and I'll go to Peggy's house.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UltraDork
8/29/13 2:09 p.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

Maybe it's more Canadians

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/29/13 2:12 p.m.

In reply to sachilles:

Go back and re-read that, and note that you annotated every line that was yours, and none that were your wife's. Until I got to the second paragraph, I didn't even realize that the first paragraph wasn't all you giving really, really, long answers and waiting for a response...

And that was having the chance to type everything up. No wonder your wife triple-checks everything she asks you!

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/29/13 2:14 p.m.

Guy on phone: "Have you put one of those turbo V6 Ford truck engines in a Miata?"

Brandon: "yep."

Guy on phone: "Great! How did it work out?"

Brandon: "Great. It was in the trunk. Why do you ask?"

sachilles
sachilles SuperDork
8/29/13 2:16 p.m.
ransom wrote: In reply to sachilles: Go back and re-read that, and note that you annotated every line that was yours, and none that were your wife's. Until I got to the second paragraph, I didn't even realize that the first paragraph wasn't all you giving really, really, long answers and waiting for a response... And that was having the chance to type everything up. No wonder your wife triple-checks everything she asks you!

It's this forum. It combines lines. I hate that.

sachilles
sachilles SuperDork
8/29/13 2:17 p.m.

It also apparently deletes ""

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
8/29/13 2:17 p.m.

In reply to sachilles:

I have buddies that do this to me constantly. Both situations.

Yesterday:

Buddy: Are they aligning your truck today or what's the plan?
SFO: Dunno. I'm just dropping it off today.
Buddy: Well yeah i knew that, but are they knocking it out today?
SFO: Dunno. I'm just dropping it off today.
Buddy: You going to pick it up tomorrow?
SFO: Dunno. I'm just dropping it off today. Then i'm working on your car.
Buddy: Ok. Whatever.

I always feel like i don't know the correct answer, and that they're angry that i can't follow their train of thought.

sachilles
sachilles SuperDork
8/29/13 2:18 p.m.

whoa. it totally ignores stuff inside the less than and more than symbols.

sachilles
sachilles SuperDork
8/29/13 2:19 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: In reply to sachilles: I have buddies that do this to me constantly. Both situations. Yesterday: Buddy: Are they aligning your truck today or what's the plan? SFO: Dunno. I'm just dropping it off today. Buddy: Well yeah i knew that, but are they knocking it out today? SFO: Dunno. I'm just dropping it off today. Buddy: You going to pick it up tomorrow? SFO: Dunno. I'm just dropping it off today. Then i'm working on your car. Buddy: Ok. Whatever. I always feel like i don't know the correct answer, and that they're angry that i can't follow their train of thought.

Exactly!

beans
beans HalfDork
8/29/13 3:02 p.m.
sachilles wrote: Happens with my wife all the time. She'll ask me a question like "do you know the house on the corner of elm and main street, the brick one? Me: Yup Its, the one with the pretty yard and big garage. Me:yup, I know the one(and I'm waiting for you to tell me why you've brought this house to my attention). It is the one they just repaved the driveway this summer and our office has it for sale. Me: Yup, I know what one you are talking about. It's the one with the big elm tree out front with the tire swing. Me: Yes, I know the house, what about it? It went under contract today.(that's it, end of story) Or other things like. Can you pick Andrew up from school today? Me: Yes. I need pop over to Peggy's house to help her move some furniture. Me: Ok. It would really help me out if you can get Andrew. Me: Ok, I'll get him. So you don't mind grabbing him? Me: No. So you'll get him? Me: Yes. Ok, you get him and I'll go to Peggy's house.

Dad? You post here?

I swear, this is every damn conversation both my Dad and I have with my mother. And brother. I think my mom and brother fight so frequently because they're the same person in a different body. My Dad and I just look at eachother bewildered and usually go on with whatever we're drinking to deal with them.

Sput
Sput Reader
8/29/13 6:52 p.m.

Today;

Customer: When do you think the repair will be done?

Me: With the parts to be machined, if everything goes perfect, Spetember 13. With luck, September 20.

Customer: I would like it back next Wednesday.

Me: I'm postive we can't do that, we need some pretty large and complicated parts machined.

Customer: So that means you'll have it done by Wednesday? You can have everyone working this weekend, right?

ARGH!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KGsz8QnyB87VwY9mYw7B5b7Y2wClke9AHwsVBC19cpJciyVEJi8d9XOhtjTZ597S