j_tso
j_tso Dork
10/23/23 9:13 a.m.

Link

Not sure about this, a shallow plot racing movie depends on good direction. I also think Initial D works better in episode format rather than trying to cram a bunch of races in one movie.

Kang is a car guy, but so was Steve McQueen and Le Mans doesn't work for everyone.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/23/23 9:36 a.m.

I tend to agree. Initial D works in anime as the episode format allows for character development to be spread over a long time to keep you engaged while interspersed with the fun racing sequences that keep you entertained.  It also allows one to look past the entirely implausible premise of the plot - like, why was there never any police interaction in Initial D? After awhile you just accept that as part of the story. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/23/23 9:39 a.m.

The first initial D live action movie was kinda meh. I'll watch it, but the anime was just so good to me, it's hard to try and distill an entire series down to two hours. 

That being said, I know the man has deep respect for the type of cars that initial D celebrates and should do them service well, and we shouldn't end up with spinners on Takumis hachi or some other universal bullE36 M3. I am ALSO hoping for more practical effects than digital, but that remains to be seen. 

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
10/23/23 10:59 a.m.
j_tso said:

Kang is a car guy, but so was Steve McQueen and Le Mans doesn't work for everyone.

100% agree.

Consider me cautiously optimistic, though Kang seems like someone who gets it, you know?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
giCJ026vMQ3XK6B8V2EuIcGMipo2iZeNxCEx06gc4b1lHGnqUnz0pU9GLcvXpxIu