1 2
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/26/24 6:17 p.m.

I've watched the first four episodes now and I'm avoiding spoilers, so far it looks like a pretty strong entry among all the live-action Star Wars series. Star Wars fans (I still think the really awful ones are a loud minority) often half-jokingly discuss how the Jedi Order has a problematic relationship with governments and at least attracts or possibly causes a lot of the trouble in the Star Wars universe, this not only tackles that but gives it some backstory.

So far of the live-action Star Wars series I've seen I'd rank them:

1. Andor

2. Mandalorian

3. Acolyte (preliminary rating, could go up or down from here)

4. Obi-Wan

5. Book of Boba Fett

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/26/24 6:52 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

I agree with you on Rogue One, it's the best Star Wars from "modern" times by a lot.

Mandolorian is good, Boba Fett was horrible and I enjoyed Obi Wan

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/26/24 7:21 p.m.

I was entertained by Boba Fett.

I was bored by Obi-wan, but it wasn't bad.

Asokha was OK, but the character didn't mean anything to me because I hadn't seen anything of her before, and I really hated the annoying sub character.

I'm going to file Acolyte under "Didn't Like", but not so far as "Hate".

[edit] Though the weird Force witch musical dance number should never ever be repeated.  Ever.

Antihero
7/26/24 9:02 p.m.

Ashoka was decent too, but since I forgot it existed should tell you how much impact it made on me lol

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 UltimaDork
7/26/24 10:10 p.m.

To qualify my earlier statement, I haven't watched any of this series. I may, but it's pretty far down the list. 
Rogue one was beautiful, but I didn't love it. Kind of the same as when ep. 3 came out. We all knew the ending. 
Boba Fet was sprinkled with just enough good to nearly make one forget that it was actually a turd donut. 
Ahsoka was good, but not great. I had issues with some of the casting/acting more than anything. 
Mando was progressively less amazing as it went on, but overall really fun. 

All of them are better than ep. 9. Which I haven't been able to rewatch. Which is telling. 

Star Wars began as a commentary on politics, and it remains such. I can't really complain too much or comment further here. I wish it were not, but I can't control it. I wish it could lean more into the artistic side of storytelling/lore building. 

In conclusion, and being as generous as I can be, the current SW bosses are doing the franchise zero favors. I continue to hope we see better moving forward. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/27/24 7:30 a.m.

I don't understand why everyone hates Boba Fett so much, but while I enjoy Star Wars, I'm not that invested in it.  So I guess I'm missing some important failures in the story.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/27/24 7:39 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

I didn't think Boba Fett was bad, just "OK" and not as good as the others. Ep9 was BAD.

tester (Forum Supporter)
tester (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
7/27/24 11:20 a.m.

Star Wars was meant as an escape from political and social commentary.  It's a modern (circa 1970s) interpretation of 1930s serials. It's supposed to be fun, heroic, and the good guys win. 

For social and political commentary from Lucas. THX would be the movie to watch. Interestingly, Andor looks a bit like THX.  

Antihero
7/27/24 2:03 p.m.
Duke said:

I don't understand why everyone hates Boba Fett so much, but while I enjoy Star Wars, I'm not that invested in it.  So I guess I'm missing some important failures in the story.

I don't hate it but " Damn I'm old" wasn't the greatest plot to go with IMO

tester (Forum Supporter)
tester (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
7/27/24 2:43 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

The biggest problem with Boba Fett was the Mandalorian storyline already existed. Had the Mandalorian turned out to be Fett, well then you have a really interesting multi dimensional character with a complicated ethos.

As it turns out Fett is just a trooper turned bounty hunter turned old crime lord. That's not a terribly interesting story arc. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/27/24 3:06 p.m.

I personally think that they should have titled BoBF "The Mandalorian: Book of Boba Fett" or "The Book of Boba Fett: A Mandalorian story" or something like that. 

And the Vespa gang was dumb. 

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 UltimaDork
7/27/24 3:23 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

So dumb. 

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
7/27/24 6:09 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

I'm a die-hard fan, even I was like WTF is this?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/27/24 6:35 p.m.

Meh, the Space Mods didn't bother me.

Antihero
7/27/24 6:48 p.m.
tester (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Antihero :

The biggest problem with Boba Fett was the Mandalorian storyline already existed. Had the Mandalorian turned out to be Fett, well then you have a really interesting multi dimensional character with a complicated ethos.

As it turns out Fett is just a trooper turned bounty hunter turned old crime lord. That's not a terribly interesting story arc. 

I agree and that would have been a great reveal

fatallightning
fatallightning HalfDork
7/30/24 12:49 p.m.
tester (Forum Supporter) said:

Star Wars was meant as an escape from political and social commentary.  It's a modern (circa 1970s) interpretation of 1930s serials. It's supposed to be fun, heroic, and the good guys win. 

For social and political commentary from Lucas. THX would be the movie to watch. Interestingly, Andor looks a bit like THX.  

Say what now? https://www.amc.com/blogs/george-lucas-reveals-how-star-wars-was-influenced-by-the-vietnam-war--1005548

I enjoyed the Acolyte, the pacing could be better. I'm generally distrustful of the police state though, so maybe it spoke to me more than others.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/30/24 2:34 p.m.
mtn said:

I watched it. I really enjoyed it. Reading others opinions reminds me that no one hates Star Wars more than Star Wars fans. 

As bit of advice, the pacing does not work well for a weekly release; however, it is very decent if you finish it over 2-14 nights. 

I didn't know what he meant by SW until I read Star Wars. I don't hate it, just was never able to get into it. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RhrSHi0MQjKV7hQzgQBkpMGl0GI5JoWAGPAfYCGELgZqWXdcUQQiYnjCFzLdvEpV