1 2 3
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/13/24 5:04 p.m.

Greenwich (not Greenwich, CT), NY High School? The Green Witches.

When the Expos moved to Washington, DC, there was a contest to rename the Vermont Expos Class A ball club. My Favorite was the Locals. You know, cause the Nationals!

They went with the Lake Monsters. And Champ is their mascot.

My high school on LI was and still is the Mighty Maroon Marauders. Of Bay Shore. Missed opportunities there.

Burlington High School in Vermont is the Sea Horses. Wha? So at one time this area was covered by the inland sea. There are fossilized seahorses all over the place apparently.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/13/24 5:09 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) :

On the same vein as the Nationals/Locals - the AHL (feeder) team associated with the Vegas Golden Knights is the Henderson Silver Knights. I like to think there's a whole ladder of teams going down through Bronze and Tin and Aluminum etc. Maybe it ends with the peewee Paper Knights. 

Crxpilot
Crxpilot HalfDork
8/13/24 6:31 p.m.

Wilson Tobs is a bit on the nose for their appropriation of the local cash crop.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/13/24 7:00 p.m.

I've been getting a lot on Minor League Baseball ads on Facebook lately. The Eugene Exploding Whales got me to buy a hat. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
8/13/24 7:21 p.m.

undefined

undefined

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/13/24 8:55 p.m.

It's hard to beat the Hoopeston Cornjerkers. 

Coniglio Rampante
Coniglio Rampante Reader
8/13/24 9:03 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

They used to have some really good basketball teams many years ago.yes

Keith Tanner
8/13/24 9:14 p.m.

There's a high school in Idaho Springs CO called the Golddiggers. Which means that there are golddigger cheerleaders. You can see their (tiny) field right beside I70. 

I'm hoping the arena for the Rock Lobsters is called the Love Shack. 

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/13/24 9:26 p.m.

In reply to Coniglio Rampante :

They sure did. 

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
8/13/24 9:58 p.m.

I feel like Nova Scotia needs an NHL team.

The Halifax Explosion

EricM
EricM UltraDork
8/13/24 10:49 p.m.

We have a lot of rabbits in Central Illinois.  

Local high school. Fisher awesome bunnies 

logdog (Forum Supporter)
logdog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/13/24 11:14 p.m.

I was in San Antonio for a meeting last year.  As a "team building" activity they took us to a game with a baseball team that caused PTSD for me. :)

BoulderG
BoulderG Reader
8/14/24 12:20 a.m.

A good friend grew up in rural Polo, Illinois. Yes, indeed, they are the Polo Marcos! 

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/14/24 12:43 a.m.

There's a Single A minor league team around here called the Spokane Indians that's pretty well named for a funny reason. The team name isn't actually the Indians, but the Spokane Indians because it's named after the tribe and the tribe is super happy about it. Every once and awhile a local wokeling will try to get them to change their name and it hits the news. Usually the tribe basically bitchslaps them and says that they demand they keep the name.

They've had a few notable people in the team Tommy Lasorda managed them for awhile too. Funnily enough I met my now wife at their stadium and not at a game too

bbbbRASS
bbbbRASS Reader
8/14/24 5:55 a.m.

Low-A MiLB team in Eastern Ohio, "Mahoning Valley Scrappers" affectionately known as the Crappers. 

I posit the Pittsburgh Pirates are most accurately named, as they pillage wealth and joy from the locals they encounter. 

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
8/14/24 9:29 a.m.
Puddy46 said:

And for the more mellow fellows, there's always the Colorado Vibes:

Minor League baseball is so much fun.

Is that... a s'more?

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/14/24 9:37 a.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

I've been getting a lot on Minor League Baseball ads on Facebook lately. The Eugene Exploding Whales got me to buy a hat. 

That's berkeleyin' real?????

Damn. They don't have it in Black. I won't wear that color, and my head is too fat for snapbacks. 

Lehigh did a promotion for cats a while back, and I got tricked- 

So i do have a brown Cats hat. I normally only wear the saints hats, but minor league ball is the only thing i'll buy anymore- when i'm not making my own. 

Coniglio Rampante
Coniglio Rampante Reader
8/14/24 9:41 a.m.

I always liked Jim Hall's appropriately named Chaparral team, appropriately located in west Texas, with an equally appropriately named Rattlesnake Raceway.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
8/14/24 11:17 a.m.

Got an ad for this website last night and felt it was applicable here: Vintage Defunct Baseball Team T-shirts

I might be copping a hat or a shirt from the Eugene Exploding Whales, though.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/14/24 11:41 a.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

I'm strongly considering the baseball jersey. I don't wear baseball jerseys. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/14/24 11:42 a.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

So there’s really a team that celebrates exploding dead whales? That’s very metal but also, wow. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/14/24 11:49 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Yeah, apparently it's the alternate logo for the Eugene Emeralds. 

Minor League Baseball is WILD. They will name their teams whatever they want for fun. It's part of the reason I still support it. I don't like baseball, like at all- BUT- MiLB is still a lot of fun, and never takes itself too seriously. The Fresno Grizzlies as an example will rename themselves as the Fresno Tacos, complete with alternate hats and all. It's great. 

Keith Tanner
8/14/24 11:53 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

There's a high school in Idaho Springs CO called the Golddiggers. Which means that there are golddigger cheerleaders. You can see their (tiny) field right beside I70. 

I'm hoping the arena for the Rock Lobsters is called the Love Shack. 

Aww, man. Golddigger field was demolished just last month for apartment buildings.

https://coloradocommunitymedia.com/2024/07/02/iconic-blue-and-gold-bleachers-on-former-golddigger-field-in-idaho-springs-torn-apart-in-preparation-for-apartment-complex/ 

Coniglio Rampante
Coniglio Rampante Reader
8/14/24 12:04 p.m.

This thread is triggering g a trip down memory lane.  The high school teams in Freeport, a town in northern Illinois, were named the Pretzels.  Apparently pretzels were a big thing there a long time ago.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/14/24 12:10 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

Same. I don’t know much about baseball but do enjoy our local team. Just wish they had a cooler name....

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NrC4KzrAAh0Hq2DyCq3EaPeUe4ylHuvRyooduJ9AyW2bsW04mcPryWtjiVZqmF7t